Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210563 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: Multiplayer FREE-to-Play Tank Simulation
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:53:53 am »

I have a Biser, an AT-1, and a Panzer Jager. I'm working my way to Sturm Tiger, and eventually JagdPanzer or something.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:15 am »

Matilda - The Medium that fights like a Heavy.

<3

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

And dude, how does the pz3 have better armour than the Leopard, the Leo has the best light tank armor in the game, it's like a freaking mini panther in that regard, the only real weakness are it's incredibly large tracks.
The Leo has a huge, barely sloped 50mm front plate, opposed to the panzer's 70 with similar slopers and several steps that reduce shelltrapping into the turret ring, it has similar side armor but a third less tracks to hit and unlike the leo, the actual armor continues behind the tracks so a track shot doesn't harm the insides as well and it has 50mm of sloped/staggered rear armor, against 20mm of flat plate on the leo.

It's certainly a good light tank, I'm not saying that it isn't but compared to a medium that's almost as fast and more maneuverable, it's a little underwhelming.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 07:31:33 pm »

And unfortunatley only three people are allowed into a platoon, but luckily team fights should soon be in.

What? Darn. Game needs some sort of equivalent of guilds (also, what sort of platoon has three units?)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »

Well next patch will add clans and a beta version of clan warfare, also team fights of up to 15 players :D
Still, a well organised platoon is great fun and a great threat to anything since you actually know if and when your two of your teammates do something stupid XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »

Woo, downloading now.  Username same as here.  Would anyone else be interested in a vent server? I hate typing mid game.
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 02:22:57 am »

Hey Omegastick, I saw you before but didn't realise it was another B12er!

Jopax, I added you into my friend list, is there any way to send PMs in-game?

Also I have been playing like mad (no sleep no eat kinda style) and have the following:
T-46 (because I want an IS!!!) but this tank sucks bad. It's an "Infantry Light Tank", meaning it's an underpowered Medium Tank because it does not go fast and its weapon is mediocre, BUT you need to use one to get KV series and finally IS series.

Valentine (free from the key) but I don't like it.

PzKpfw II Luchs, which is really fast (60kmh top speed) but I am using this to get Leopard, the second fastest tank in the game at 68kmh (the fastest is Soviet A-20 at 72kmh). I like sneaking behind the enemies and do some scouting work with this agile little fellow.

Hetzer, newly acquired after using Marder II succesfully. I like playing Tank Destroyer because of that one-hit-one-kill feeling, although that does not happen in practice, lol. Hetzer is apparently mid-top tier so I've been in games in which I was outgunned by the IS, Tiger, and KV. -_-

T1 Cunningham, frikking hate the shape. I may play it to try SPG (M-57?) or get M18 Hellcat when it is introduced into the game, but all these American tanks look too uninspiring to me.

Again, give me a shoutout if you see Elsior!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:58 am »

I reccomend you get the 105 mm gun for the hetzer, with some practice you will be tearing apart anything you see, also use HE for anything big.And i also reccomend you try the KV, the IS is a great tank but the amount of fun i've had in my KV is amazing, using the 107 i have killed a lot of big stuff, and the best part about it is that most people seem to ignore it going "lol it's a KV that can't hurt me" and when they loose almost a third of their hp they go WTF but then the other two shots come in to finish them off :D
AS - IG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 05:17:47 am »

What are the appropriate times to use AP and HE shells respectively? I've been using AP against most targets, switching to HE only for thin-skinned vehicles to avoid straight-through shots. Maybe I'm too influenced by more realistic tank sims.

I've started on german tank destroyers now and been having great success. Best so far is a 5-kill battle with the panzerjäger, currently using the Marder II with the first 75mm gun (great for the sound effect alone) and getting kills in almost all battles. I've also researched the A-20 tank.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 05:31:03 am »

Ap is for stuff you can reliably penetrate, and the "went straight trough" is usually a good thing since the shell went trough the armor.HE is for squishy stuff like SPG's and for stuff you can't penatrete easily, or when HE does sick damage so it does huge damage even if it hits the thickest part of the armor.The cursor is your friend here since it changes color according to your chance of penetration, red is a no-no, yellow is 50:50 and green is a sure penetration.But do keep in mind the slope since that isn't factored in the penetration check with the cursor, so even if it says green it could still bounce due to the large angle
AS - IG

Ssiissuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 06:12:17 am »

What are the appropriate times to use AP and HE shells respectively? I've been using AP against most targets, switching to HE only for thin-skinned vehicles to avoid straight-through shots. Maybe I'm too influenced by more realistic tank sims.

I've started on german tank destroyers now and been having great success. Best so far is a 5-kill battle with the panzerjäger, currently using the Marder II with the first 75mm gun (great for the sound effect alone) and getting kills in almost all battles. I've also researched the A-20 tank.

You have it about right, HE should be used on lightly skinned targets like SPGs and scouts as well as targets you have no hope of penetrating like a tier 10 heavy. HE is handy because it almost always inflicts damage, even if only a fraction of its potential, on a target. HE is also handy for inflicting module damage on the Hun, though module damage is not assured and may be more easily achieved by AP'ing enemy weak spots. Example: nail a T-44 with HE on the rear, and rear sides of his turret with a decent caliber of HE round and you may be rewarded with watching his ammo rack blow, and his tank may be reduced to smithereens.

Of the vehicles I've played and unlocked, I generally play a tier or two lower. I've kept the following: a StugIII, an SU85, a PanzerIII, a VK3002DB, a Tiger, and a Panther. I'm also training up an American medium while I wait for the Yank TD tree. I stick to the vehicles that easily make cash without premium, for me, and I'm enjoying running a battle or two per day. Some of the higher tier vehicles are quite enjoyable, like the JagdPanther, but I enjoy mid-tier play more than the top or bottom tiers as I am vulnerable to any vehicle and yet still able to hurt anything else on the battlefield.

The German TD tree will teach you how to play a TD, well. After playing the German tree you'll then be able to move over to the Soviet tree with ease after grinding the likes of the Hetzer. The PzJager is a fun little sniper, as is the Marder II. Ambush and snipe, keep to that 'cause if you haven't assimilated those lessons by the time you reach the Hetzer you are going to want to quit the German TD line. The Hetzer will instill many hard lessons, but you'll be a much better player for it. The lack of mobility present in the Hetzer will force you to choose your ambush locations with a greater attention to foresight, if you want to survive. My personal opinion is to avoid the 105mm on the Hetzer as it will force you into shorter range engagements where you will be spotted and flanked by enemy tanks, or more likely you will have an arty round dropped on you because you are engaging within spotting distance. I played the Hetzer, and enjoyed it, by using it as a hard to spot sniper. Once you learn to anticipate the flow of battle you'll be able to move your Hetzer about in response to situations that have yet to develop or escalate, and so once you move on to the Stug or the JgPanzerIV you'll be deadly at range and with enough mobility to keep your front-line allies covered. The 105mm can be handy if you're just looking to 'skip' the Hetzer, but if that's the case you'd be better off to use free experience to run through the research tree as you really should be switching the long 75mm once you get into the Stug, rather than playing a mid range sniper/brawler.

If you find the short 105mm on the Hetzer to be more your style, then drop the German TD line and go with the Soviet TD tree. The Germans are about accurate long range fire, the Soviets are about raw firepower at mid-range. The Soviet TD tree also doesn't have a speed bump like the Hetzer to slow your enjoyment of the game. The SU85b, unlike the Hetzer, is a super easy grind as the 85mm is a fantastic HE chucker and will earn lots of XP from shooting at anything and everything, quickly at that. The SU85 proper is a slightly less mobile Stug, until you get the 107mm gun on it, and then it becomes a murderous fiend. My SU85 will two shot a VK3xx1, from the front, at mid range before I am spotted. Anything tier 5 or lower is often a KO at the first shot. My Stug can open fire and reliably hit the same targets from a longer range, but will require three to five times as many rounds to put a similar target down. The Stug will snipe the SU85 from long range in 3 to five shots, depending on bounces. The SU85 will KO the Stug from slightly above mid-range with one shot. The SU85 will also bounce the very occasional enemy round due to sloped armour. The Stug will not. Both are fun vehicles, but are also dependent on two different styles of play.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:03 am »

I played most german TD's like assault guns, their speed makes it very easy to get into nice spots and get the enemy where it hurts the most, but after getting the JPanther this changed a bit, now i'm a slightly larger target so i have to be more careful, but i still get into close range fights when there are bigger friendlies around since most people ignore me over the Tiger next to me.And the long 88 on the JPanther is simply amazing, high ROF and accuracy and very nice damage and penetration make it a great money making machine.
AS - IG

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 09:38:10 am »

@BuriBuriZaemon I've been doing that same thing and have a T-46, an SU-26 and after a match or two an SU-76 (I just need an extra 10k credits). I don't know what you're talking about when you say that the T-46 is slow; it's got a speed of 60mph on the flats with the upgraded engine and is capable of taking out tier 3 and below tanks in one shot. The SU-26 is my favourite though, with the fully upgraded gun it can take out tier six and below with one shot and tier 8 and below with two!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:37 am »

I've had an account quite along time, i think i got it just after the closed beta started, but since i've been inactive i still only got a t6 tank. My user-name in-game is "Lumonen", i would love to join some platoon games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:55 am »

(also, what sort of platoon has three units?)

Well in Valkyria Profile your platoon gets two tanks period.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 251