Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211379 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1455 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »

In that case you're best off with the USSR heavies since they kinda embody the assault tank with nicely sloped armour, good agility and pretty nice guns (you've probably had a taste of this with the KV-1S but the higher you go up the tree the more armour and damage you become capable of dishing out).

Other than that the USSR TD's have some very nice guns but their survivability isn't too great until you reach the higher tiers, the mobility is always nice tho.

The French heavies are more of the lightning bruiser variety (well not the first five-six tanks) having minimal protection, amazing mobility and the ability to dish out a ton of damage if given the opportunity, this comes with the dowside of being defensless when reloading and being pretty fragile in an upfront battle.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1456 on: December 26, 2012, 04:01:00 pm »

Be warned the KV-1S is for most purposes a better IS, the upgrade isn't big enough to overcome the tier gap. Similar goes for the StuG to JpzIV. The T20 on the other hand is (at least) as good as the Easy8. You'll definitely enjoy the firepower.

I'm throwing my vote in with the mediums, there's no bad American medium. I don't think the tier 10 is that great, but then again none of those lines have good tier 10s, and who cares! By the time you get a tier 10, they will probably have been changed! :)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 26, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »

So would you say Russian or German was more enjoyable for you?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1458 on: December 27, 2012, 02:02:26 am »

I like big guns, armor, all around, and agility. Which of those lines works for that? French heavies?

French tanks dont have armor.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sokmonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 27, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »

Howdy, I am looking for some peeps to platoon with and everyone on these forums seem pretty cool. (tho I am more a lurker than a poster ;q) So I have mostly t5-t7, have afew t8s unlocked but havent had the creds to buy em yet, but soon. Run my kv1 alot for creds mostly after i get my 2x on everything. Sokmonkey is name ingame. My stats are ok I think, considering its all pub play and not much platooning. Hit me up ingame if interested.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 28, 2012, 02:13:08 am »

I like big guns, armor, all around, and agility. Which of those lines works for that? French heavies?

You seem to like all factors of a well-rounded tank: mobility, firepower, and protection. I think the most balanced is indeed Soviet heavy line. However, their guns are not suitable for sniping due to low accuracy, slow aim time, and reload speed. I had good runs with IS-3.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 28, 2012, 08:31:53 pm »

So the test server is up, gave it a whirl. The Chinese are still rather samey, except now the T10 heavy has the same gun as the T9 medium as the IS-4. Except it's a lot uglier than the IS-4 or the T9 medium.

Still no depression to speak of, still pretty crazy guns all round (tho some pen values seem to be iffy and the guns are all over the place, kinda hard to pin them down (the similar tank names aren't helping much)). There is that gem of a T6 light that has a choice between a normal slightly sub penetrating gun (or it could just be me, 85 pen is kinda low) that has an autoloader variant, which has insane reload speeds, some ten seconds or so. Then again the damage isn't terribly high.

Anyways, more than that I've been testing the various T10 tanks, and frankly, for all it's drawbacks the T57 has spoiled the 50B for me, that reload time, that aim time, that sweet sweet accuracy, holy crap this seems like the perfect tank for me. Except the line leading up to it is mostly horrible horrible horrible tanks. And I'm already down to the ARL with most of the stuff already unlocked (engines, guns, radios, all from the medium line). Will have to ponder this more.

Also the T-62A is really really awesome, once again, perfect tank for me as it seems like a T10 version of the T-34 sporting the 57mm peashooter of doom. Great mobility, great accuracy and pen, decent damage and awesome RoF.

Also also, the FV215B (the one that is supposedly getting moved to a TD line with a 183mm gun and being replaced by the Cheiftain) is pretty ok, for some reason it looks incredibly sexy now, in a wierd grotesque way, like the KV-2, it's just so ugly and brutish with some sleek lines that the tank as a whole is incredibly good looking.

And to finish off the Foch155 is fun, the gun will make me rage I can feel it since it isn't terribly reliable and missing even a single shot is a huge loss of potential damage. But the mobility and crazy good armor are just too fun, with some neat angling not even T10 tanks can easily penetrate me :D

(Edited because fuck you touchpad for somehow clicking on post halfway trough)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:33:55 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:21 am »

Just had my very first game with a Tier 8... my brand new KV-4... and it was awesome... That's what a tank should feel like.

It's slow, it's ponderous, it can't turn worth crap, but it can take a beating.

First battle with it, started as top tank, had some decent support from a friendly IS who even pushed me along a bit at the start. Finished out the game with 91hp out of 1600, but I finished with 4 kills, 2nd class mastery, Master Gunner, Steel Wall and Reaper along with 1,716 xp. (daily 2x, non premium) 18,605 credits isn't exactly anything to write home about, but all in all, I'm VERY happy with this tank.

Edit: Also just noticed, this is my first battle, I believe, where I did reasonably well, AND won, AND didn't use any credit bought gold ammo, and still lost money.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:10:37 am by sluissa »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:28 am »

Oh man. I can just imagine some jerk smirking the entire time I brawl KV-4s. Soooo lulzy bouncy. "250 pen cannon into my lower glacis? Silly T34, let me show you true power."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 30, 2012, 09:18:46 am »

I had no smirk on until the end of battle... not knowing exactly what the tank could take yet... but at one point I'd gotten surrounded by about 5 other tanks and tracked. Was pounded on for a good 10 seconds or so from all sides and still managed to pull out of that area alive.

The rear is a definite weak point though rear hull is less than half of the front hull armor.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 03, 2013, 02:35:26 pm »

So! Today I told myself I would grind from T5 to T7 in one session. French TDs.

Noped right outa there 15k XP into T6. Do not want.

On the plus side, I did (nearly) finish my VK3601 again. Was missing the 'DB, and I really wanted to go up the Panther line!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 03, 2013, 03:29:34 pm »

Yeah, I kinda burnt out a few days before the new year, the Churchills were just too freaking much. Gonna give it all a break, don't care if I get an extra T10 or not, they aren't that fun anyways, right now, other stuff is more fun, so fuck tanks.
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 04, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »

I'm glad that I came back to this and restarted my slow crawl towards TX. Not least because I'm absolutely giddy right now after managing to kill an IS with my KV-1. Granted, I did very little of the damage, and three of my four hits were pings and no-damage pens, but I survived in close combat against an IS with a KV. o.0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 06, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

This is pretty neat, tracks your progress as you play:

http://www.wotlabs.net/

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 06, 2013, 05:56:41 pm »

So, getting close to 100% on my first vehicle, and it looks like a *ton* of new skills were added since beta. It's an SU-26, so I'm thinking mentor on the commander and camo on everyone else, but is mentor actually worth it? Or, alternatively, should I go for that Brothers in Arms thing first? I'll probably migrate this crew up to a higher tier SPG way down the line,  after going through the Soviet heavies, but for now it's kind of my best credit mule before getting a KV.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 251