Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211380 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1440 on: December 24, 2012, 09:23:44 pm »

I played this during the closed beta (I think?), when there was daily free gold and no consumables. After the hard wipe that came with its release, I found it too grindy without a premium account and quickly stopped.

Did they ever balance (or better yet remove) the premium ammo and consumables? I can deal with a massive grind, given that I really enjoyed the game when I played it, but it just got way too 'pay to win' for my tastes.

I have never used Premium Account except the free ones they rarely give away (1 day Premium usually) and I have nearly all Tier 8 tanks, a couple of Tier 9s, and a couple of Tier 10s. If I focused on a couple of lines, I would have had more Tier 9-10s but I like trying out different lines.

Premium shells can now be bought by in-game credits as well as gold (real life money).

The grind is not that bad if you play with friends. Rex_Nex and I do this from time to time. And oh boy he is a champ!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1442 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »

Good to know, the gold ammo in particular was pretty egregious, especially on arty. I'll definitely be giving this a shot once my main computer's fixed. I remember running around in a Panther with a small clan, and it was a blast. That, and the leopard... it was so hilarious to zip around all the top tier tanks in that dinky little peashooter.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:01 pm »

Sounds good! If you're in the US, we should definitely platoon up whenever you get back in to playing :)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 25, 2012, 02:30:39 am »

While premium ammo can be bought with credits the cost its really prohibitive in my opinion, i think its arround 7,5k each round and im not even talking about high tier guns.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 25, 2012, 03:19:29 am »

While premium ammo can be bought with credits the cost its really prohibitive in my opinion, i think its arround 7,5k each round and im not even talking about high tier guns.

Really? I'm looking at my tiger P and its 4000 a round. But hell, its not that bad. The rate is 1 gold = 400 credits so the higher the gold cost of the round, the higher credit cost. My Obj.212 costs 6000 for every gold round, that's a t7 arty with a t9 gun. Honestly, once you get to high tier guns, you don't need to run gold because normal shells are pretty damn good. With the matchmaking change running gold is rarely needed at all. I have 10 gold rounds in my cromwell for hitting IS-3's from the front and scaring the crap out of them, but usually that isn't needed because i'm hitting them from the side.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 25, 2012, 06:55:18 am »

somehow i have the feeling that HE shells are kind of got totally useless over the last bunch of patches...

tried the HE shells on matilda/churchill with that howhitzer  and later with the stug and pz4 (that 350 damage gun?)... and compared to the "normal AP" guns i feel totally useless shooting these HE guns...
iz either does no damage atall, low 30-40 damage (with that 350 damage stug gun into into the back of a russian medium 2-3 times just 30 damage) or the lucky 2% chance of 400 damage (think i hit a tank in the top once from a hill)...

months ago i felt these guns did more often damage but reduced like 100, 150  and not like now 0-40...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 25, 2012, 08:25:12 am »

I know others would disagree with me, but HE ammo has always been last resort ammo to me. Potentially it was better against significantly lower tiered enemies, but usually AP would be just fine for that anyway. My normal use for it, however was when I was just stuck against an enemy I had absolutely no chance of penning with AP, so HE would at least give me the chance to do SOME damage, even if only tiny amounts.

EDIT: Well, 5x xp is over... time to take a break from WoT.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:31:05 am by sluissa »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 25, 2012, 10:57:55 am »

HE is horrible in the majority of circumstances. Yes, it was nerfed into the ground. It's good on howitzers... and that's about it. AP is more reliable against scouts, APCR is more reliable for resetting cap, APCR is more reliable for finishing off wounded enemies, etc.

The only circumstances where HE is better is 1. when you are both against someone with very thin armor and who you NEED to kill in one shot or will otherwise die, or 2. Resetting the cap from half the map away... somehow. The pen dropoff on APCR will make it quite unreliable at these kind of ranges... not that you should expect to ever be resetting cap from that far away. 3. When you have a huge cannon (BL10, I'm looking at you) and someone is behind cover and "just" low enough HP that your splash can kill them.

Otherwise, APCR/HEAT all the way.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 25, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »

My WOT now hangs at connecting to the server and I've had this account since the open beta.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:56 am »

Currently am running up American Medium (have E8 fully upgraded and Sherman for creds), Soviet Heavy (fully upgraded KV-1S and KV-1 for creds), German TD (JagdPanther, almost to the IV), and am on tier 4 of French lights to ELC AMX and British meds. Jopax, any suggestions on the lines I am in? At the moment, not super in love with my TD. I am winning at a 52.6% rate, don't buy gold shells or have premium.

Looking at some stats, I seem to win the most in the American mediums and the KV-1, if that is helpful to know. Again, really enjoy the game, just struggling with motivation for the grinds.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:19 am »

The US mediums are a blast and you can't go wrong with them, the T20 while being a bit rough at first (sorely needs the 90mm gun) is pretty nice as a brawler/mobile sniper and if they didn't change it much it still makes a nice buck. The Pershing and Patton after it are also a blast to play being very versatile and able to use the terrain to the fullest, but still, slightly bad until you upgrade them (the Patton especially, needing about 100k xp to become awesome).

Soviet heavies are pretty good to, being very forgiving and straightforward to learn and use. If you're enjoying the KV-1S I'd suggest going for the IS, which is more of the same, but slightly better armor and RoF, the IS-3 after it is one of the best T8 heavies having nice armor, gun and mobility. IS-8 is once again more of the same but with an even better gun and mobility, the armor might be lacking in some cases but the sides are shell eating as always.

As for the TD line (not sure if you're on the JPanzer 4 or have you already gotten the JPanther?) they're all very nice tanks, the JPanzer isn't the best out there but it does it's job decently enough, the JPanther on the other hand is one of the best mobile snipers out there, you can either go for moneymaking with the 88/L71 or damage output with the 105mm guns. Afterwards you have the Ferdi which is slow, big and heavily armoured, the gun will be a struggle until you get the 128mm which is pure awesome. The other one, JPanther 2 I haven't played but from what I hear it's like the JPanther but it gets better guns and some extra armour.

French light/medium line is pretty nice too, I personally dropped the Lorraine after it was moved to T9 (didn't like how squishy it felt now) but all the AMX's leading up to it were a blast to play, especially once you get used to the playstyle of a vulture and taking advantage of openings and weakend foes (this will also translate well into the other medium tank lines).

As for the Brits, I haven't got past tier five yet but the Cromwell/Comet seem similar to the E8 both in terms of stats and playstyle while the Centurions are pretty awesome snipers with great guns, but somewhat poor mobility and survivability.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 26, 2012, 08:39:11 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I have the tier 5 TD, whichever that one is...quick wiki search reminds me it is the Stug III. If you could recommend one line I am not currently playing, what would it be?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:49:10 am by Maldevious »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 26, 2012, 09:35:57 am »

The StuG is pretty nice as a mobile sniper, not unlike the JPanther, just a bit smaller and harder to detect.

As for other lines, well the German mediums are pretty fun, especially the T6 ones. Same goes for the USSR medium line. Also the French heavies, not much armor but pretty awesome guns all round.

It mainly comes down to personal preference really, what style suits you, do you like a good gun, big alpha damage or a pea shooter to whittle down the enemy with? Speed or armour, all round or good situational (strong turret for hull-down), all out speed or general agility.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 26, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

I like big guns, armor, all around, and agility. Which of those lines works for that? French heavies?
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 251