Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211263 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the American tanks right now, but the way they keep nerfing things, you are better off just picking a country whose tanks you like and progress that way. To me the game was not enjoyable until I got tier 3 tanks, but I just had to grind it out. Your experience may be different.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Alright, well I didn't put much in.

I know American tanks have very high profiles for good hull down fighting, and strong turret armor to help with that, but that's the only advantage I know of.  What else do they have, and what about Russian and French tanks?

American tanks also tend to have the best gun depression for even more hillside fun.

French tanks are the only tanks with heavy autoloaders, allowing them to rapidly destroy otherwise comparable tanks. But are innacurate, requiring you to get close for a kill. Then the reload time between bursts is high and their armor is weak so if they get caught at the wrong time or are followed by a good light/medium tank they are easy prey. French tanks also have ridiculously bad turret elevation.

Soviet tanks have outright murderous guns and thin but often bouncy armor.

German tanks have few obvious defects or benefits. Though they tend to have more accurate guns, it  doesn't really make that big of a difference. My complaint for them was specifically for their tier 10s, the Maus and E-100. Most of my tanks are german.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:14:49 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say if you're starting out, the german line should be pretty awesome to grind up through now. With the new MM hopefully the Pzrfghlkfhglkne whatever tank has NA on the end of it (damn that name) should be easy enough to get through. They also tend to be quite well armoured at low tiers.

But as far as tanking goes, when you start all that matters is shooting them in the side or back if you can, more advanced stuff comes later. Oh, do the tutorial, I hear you get nice stuff out of that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate fighting against the KV5. It punches my T34 in the face and my tier 5 arty bounces off it.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate fighting against the KV5. It punches my T34 in the face and my tier 5 arty bounces off it.

KV-5 has huge a weakspot in the front. The mini turret (often called R2D2). Also use T34's gun depression to protect your hull, I just bought mine and still learning it. I did great in T29 so I am hoping I can make it work as well. :D

Also for T34, the aim time is friggin long and so is the reload time, so Vertical Stabiliser, Enhanced Gun Laying Driver, and Gun Rammer are a must. The gun's alpha is one of the best in its tier and can be used competently against Tier 9 and 10.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks BBZ! Those are some great tips. Where can I find out the different weak points?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

You can look for them on the forums, some people test this kind of stuff with new tanks. But generally anything that makes the armor thinner than it should be is a weakpoint. So any viewport, commander's hatch, machinegun port is a weakpoint and thus can be quite easily penetrated.

Best example is the VK4502P's front which is rather impervious to all but the highest penetrating guns, except for two tiny slits, hitting which will result in a dead driver and an engine fire usually, and these can be penetrated by a measly T1 tank too.

Also, I found vents to be more useful on the T34, helps both aimtime and reloading time, which can further be boosted by perks and other skills.

It's best that you stick as a second line support and snipe since the gun is quite accurate for its caliber, plus the aimtime isn't a bother if you don't have to move every second so you don't get killed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

kv5 actually has 3 pretty notable weak points.

The r2d2 machine gun turret on front, the gigantic commanders hatch on top (everyone who knows enough to protect the r2d2 forgets about this one), and on the side towards the back between the two toolboxes is a modest weak spot but not as weak as the others.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where can I find out the different weak points?

The official forum is full of knowledge. I never bothered with it when I started and took me 4000 battles from being bad to average and another 2000 battles from average to slightly above average player.

With that said it could be hard to sort through to find specific answers. There are a lot of experienced players here who, I am sure, are happy to help you so if you have anything specific, feel free to ask here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:40:16 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Any tips for a SU-85B newb? I'm making good progress on the SU-85, but I'll gladly accept advice.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing other than general TD tips. You should be able to give anything at your tier a nasty surprise, so try and get the first hit off. Ideally you'll be able to land one or two shots before they see where its coming from, at which point ducking behind cover isn't a bad idea unless they'll have trouble penning you.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I think I've bounced one shot total in my Russian TD career, and it may have been on the SU-76. Also, I think my IGN is Doomblade187, should anyone see me.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any tips for a SU-85B newb? I'm making good progress on the SU-85, but I'll gladly accept advice.

Nothing obvious here. Park behind bushes to conceal your position. Never stay in the open, always take cover. Lead the shot when trying to shoot at moving target.

Never actually played USSR TDs so I can't say much, but Hetzer and StuG III are excellent.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Man, this free XP thing is starting to chafe.  Is there any way to skip the T3 American TD, which doesn't really sound my style, and grind up the T4 while playing the T2, aside from paying money to convert XP?
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Well you do get a 5% bonus free xp on top of your normal earned xp each battle, so yes, it is possible but it would take a rather long time. If anything, grind free xp and play atleast one battle each day with the T3, just to collect the double xp bonus.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 251