Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211256 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Their hulls are utter garbage until T10. Maybe T9 if you really want to stretch the definition of "pure bullshittium".

They do take a lot of skill, because sitting hull down all day is just going to get your ass artied ;D

IMHO they all take a fair amount of skill, with Germans being easiest. Russians need to learn brawling techniques and how to use their odd armor. Americans need to learn the terrain of every map in order to find how to do stuff. Germans... hmmph. They are really well-rounded tanks that you don't need a specific skillset to play in.

This does go in the face of many German tankers ("waaaaahhh our tanks need SKILL, MOAR THEN THOS EZ PZ RUSKIES"), but I feel like it's the truth. I've played a lot of German heavies, and they all seem fairly easy to drive. You just need to realize you have such bad gun depression and deal with that when the moment arises.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Not really, US tanks are more like really good guns on tracks, and later tiers get some armor around the gun areas but that's about it.

Also have to disagree on German thing, they have inherently worse armor (not stats wise) and need to angle it much more to maximally utilize it. What the USSR gets over them is mobility at the price of some accuracy and DPM, also crazy good RNG armor that doesn't require much sloping (in fact sloping usually makes it worse, especially the IS line).

And am I the only one who is kinda baffled by the insane switching of playstlyes and roles that came with the latest patch?

German TD's, great DPM, pen, accuracy, RoF --> JgPz E100, shitty DPM (for a T10 TD), ok pen, insane single shot damage
USSR TD's, crappy DPM (SU-152 is the exception), pretty nice pen, crappy accuracy, crappy RoF --> Obj. 268, best DPM of the T10's, second best pen and lowest single shot damage (atleast I think it is, or is it tied with the US,French TD's ?)
USSR mediums, great mobility, great brawling, best single shot guns for the most part (D10T removal hurt them a bunch here) --> T62A is suddenly the best DPM medium, hulldown monster and RoF machine

I mean, I don't mind mixing up the gameplay of certain lines, but these things kinda go against the very essence of each of their lines, and I really have no idea why besides them being unable to think of anything different to change it up a bit (which wasn't really that neccessary).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem is with new players, they don't know the weakspots of each tank or how to take cover properly (i.e. sitting in the open just to snipe) or angling frontal armour, offsetting their gun accuracy advantage. Once the engagement move into close range, Soviet's alpha damage will eat them.

Due to map size and sighting mechanics, the majority of engagements in WoT happens within 200-300m where accuracy matters less than alpha. Generally, I think German tanks are giving away too much for accuracy. E-50M's gun, relative to other Tier X medium tank guns, is a good example.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The SP does have crazy survivability. I didn't know it was because of the spaced armor but that makes sense. All I know is I take a ton of hits and almost always survive the match, if crippled even.

As for MBT without Smoothbore tech, if my memory serves me, up to the first T-62(used 125mm while T-62A started using Smoothbore) and on the American front up to the M60 Patton. My understanding is that after both of these tanks smoothbore was implemented. Take this with a grain of salt since my military experience was based on being a "leg".

I was under the impression that the early versions of the M1 Abrams were outfitted with a rifled barrel and the British Challenger MBTs still used rifled barrels.

Not as familiar with other countries, but according to Wikipedia, the British cannons were exported to a good number of countries, including Germany and the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams#Primary

Honestly, if they're going that far up in history, I doubt they'll limit it to rifled barrels though. We will see smoothbore at some point, but I'm going to guess they're going to overhaul the tier system at some point. My guess is to differentiate between time periods. Pre-war, WW2, Post-war, and Modern would be my guesses. But that's just a complete guess.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been stated they will not introduce MBTs. I like that idea but I think it should be another game called World of Main Battle Tanks, with time frame starting from 1970s onwards. Imagine driving S-Tank against Russian T80s, lol!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had an epic match last night. Platooned with my clan leader, who is one of top players, way better that me. He just got his brand new E-50M so he wanted to try it out, so I matched him with my Bat Chat 25t.

The battle began, the map was the one with a town in the middle and one side and large opening on the other (name escapes me). We both use XVM and noticed the both teams were equally balanced. A large number of our team members advanced on one flank, got close to enemy cap zone but all died to defending TDs. We were suddenly behind 10 to 5!

One by one, our teammates died, leaving only the two of us. Using our speed, we isolated the remaining enemies and killed them off one by one. When there were only two enemies left, I made a blunder and got killed, but my clan leader finished off the survivors despite having damaged engine. Thanks to perseverance and some luck, we ended up with 10 kills altogether, including a Top Gun for my Bat Chat 25t. :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:25:19 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its times like that where you really can tell that you've learned from your past and become a decent player...

and that other people are horrible at tanks.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing with hotel internet and at 10 fps... oh dear. I've never felt so bad@tanks, it's like wrestling with a friend over control of the wasd keys V.V

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I might get back into this. I basically only work the Russian TD line, though, so that's always fun.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Russian tanks are always a blast. The only one i've had where I have felt absolutely useless is the A-20. I am convinced it is impossible to be a helpful tank when playing that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can help Naxza!

First off, have you edited Terrain_Mesh_Resolution? This setting will make the terrain look (quite a bit) less smooth, but it tripled my framerate.

If you havent, here's how:

First, go to your Roaming file. Just search for "%appdata%, it'll be the Roaming file that comes up. In that folder is the wargaming.net folder, and in that folder is the WorldOfTanks folder. Open Preferences.xml with notepad or whatever you want to use, and find this line and change it to this:

Code: [Select]
<entry>
<label> TERRAIN_MESH_RESOLUTION </label>
<activeOption> 2 </activeOption>
</entry>

Save and done!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, ok.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I've started playing.  I'm Cfoofoo.

Am I better off focusing on a specific country's line of tanks?  I'm trying to decide between German and American tanks right now, I only have the basic tanks unlocked so far.
Shoes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Gerrman tanks are  very... generic, except their tier 10 heavies royally suck because their gun lacks the penetration of other tier 10s and their armor lacks the bouncy slope'yness of other tier 10s.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Alright, well I didn't put much in.

I know American tanks have very high profiles for good hull down fighting, and strong turret armor to help with that, but that's the only advantage I know of.  What else do they have, and what about Russian and French tanks?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 251