Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211171 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Russians have RNG armor, and with the game as it is it's usually more effective than German 'real' armor simply because most high tier tanks have extremely high pen guns now that don't care about brute force value armor but are more easily screwed up by bad angle bounces that we get on Russian tanks. So really the only ones that get shafted are the high tier German heavies who have inferior guns in every regard to the other nations, abysmal mobility compared to the other nations and only marginally better armor.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Yea. my E-100 practically has "I need a large repair bill" plastered on its side. It gets torn up by most tier 8+ tanks.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Abysmal mobility? They have pretty good mobility. Tiger H, Tiger II, E75, and to a lesser extent the E-100 are all pretty mobile. The E75 has really good mobility for a heavy, its kind of stupidly good.

Granted, they arent fast, but speed is a nonfactor in combat in comparison to agility.

As for the armor, I dont know about that. The only Russian tanks that seem to have "RNG armor" are the IS3, IS7, and I guess the Object 704 with the giant mantlet. Meanwhile penning an E-100 or E75 at any decent range has always been one of the hardest things for me in a Russian heavy.

I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to what conclusions you've drawn from a bunch of highly-random values. Each person has their own, mine just happens to be "German tanks aren't nearly as bad as people say, and vice versa with Russians. American tanks are the best, currently."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

They have decent mobility on their own yes, but compared to other nations and when we take their stats into it all they kinda drop to the bottom of the list, hell, the IS-4 is just as armored as the E-100 most of the time (barring some minor weakpoints that you can't really hit unless you're all up in there) while having a greatly better gun and being more mobile in general, plus smaller size to boot.

And yeah, US heavies are the shit right now, but I just can't bring myself to play them (except the T34) for some reason, too wierd I guess.
AS - IG

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the upcoming AMX50 Foch has traverse speed that is so insanely high! And good camo value and RoF too!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does get better. If i'm ever feeling down about playing I take the t-28 for a spin. Was crap when I got it, but once you upgrade the crap out of that thing, it can take out tier 6 tanks. I assume the same applies for most tanks.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tier 4 light tanks all suck except for the T-50, so do your best to get out of those ASAP.

What TD? They are usually pretty smooth rides. And yes, all the small TDs have pretty good camo.

Only low tier german arty do respectable damage. Russian and american are pretty useless.

Once you get a bit higher up in the food chain, it wont be as bad. I dont know where you're at right now.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't even know what I'm missing any longer. My light tank can't punch through anything and can't outrun other tank turrets, my TD dies first in an exchange where I fire first because it can't take any hits even when I get the jump on someone (these things are supposed to be harder to detect? Eh?), and my tier 3 SPG can't punch any of the tier 7/8s it gets pitted against.

Bah.

Possibly a silly question, but are you using your TD like a TD, or like a fragile tank? As a TD, your job is to find a bush and/or rock to hide behind, then sniping any enemy tanks that are spotted on the front line from there.
If you're duking it out with enemy tanks; you're doing it wrong (although admittedly, some of the city maps don't give you a whole lot of choice in the matter.)

Light tanks can just be tough, especially if you're in one of the lines that gets flagged as a 'scout', since you'll be put into battles with tanks much larger then yourself. If you get stuck in that situation your best bet is to wait a few minutes, then try to make a rush deep into enemy territory, hopefully scouting a bunch of tanks and maybe even taking out some SPGs while you're there.

As for SPGs, the only advice I can reccommend is to just keep at it - you'll get to a tier that has some real bite eventually. Till then, try to target enemy SPGs and anything that has an open top.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A decent light can also ruin a TDs day, so thats an option. Scouting gives pretty bad XP, even when you do it right. Just do what you can, I guess.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye, although parking next to TD's and just unloading doesn't seem to stop them turning anymore, which annoys me. When did they take that out?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're willing to invest in premium ammo, light tanks can get lucky occasionally as well. I watched a replay of a tourny game where the team chose a t2 light tank for their scout. It had a rapid fire gun with premium shells. Scouted around for a bit for the arty. Hid behind a rock most of the game, but at one point the arty took a tier 10 down to like 2% health. Light tank popped out, ran behind the tier 10 and took those last few HP off of it with the rapid fire cannon. It was amazing to watch.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Well the first four tiers are usually quite a big pain, and while I advise against playing most TD's like you should play TD's the Russians are an exception to this, they have by far the best camo and burst guns in the game and should be used accordingly, defensive ambushing, or alternatively because of their pretty nice mobility offensive ambushing.
The key thing to remember is that your team is expendable and you are not, always keep a few friendlies around or preferably in front of you, having the potential idiot soak up damage is better than yourself soaking up damage.

(note this works for fragile tanks only, if you have something like a KV-3 or an E-75 and are being a big pussy about it you deserve to be punched in the face with a tank shell)
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Work on getting that SU-76 upgraded then. The low tier TDs are the only good low tier tanks on the Russian line, except maybe the T-28... but thats iffy, its one of those tanks with an amazing gun and 0 armor.

Aye, although parking next to TD's and just unloading doesn't seem to stop them turning anymore, which annoys me. When did they take that out?

They didn't, although its a little wonky. You can be pushed aside if you are moving, even if you are just moving against a stationary object (like a TD). As long as you don't press a movement key, you are an unmovable brick.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

actually, it seems that if you try to turn while bumping an immovable object now, your own tank will slide a bit to actually allow you to turn rather than just get locked up against things now. Try it out on an afk pers on or a piece of terrain sometime.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone seen this? Its brilliant.

On an update, I got myself a Churchill and it was so damn worth it. I can roll over just about any tank I get matched up against unless its tier 6 or a KV. Even then I can still give them a pounding. I also got an S-51. That thing costs about 1020 to fire one shell, its insane.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 251