Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211153 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

There's a B12 EU channel?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I've talked with a few other alpha testers, and it seems to them the controls and feel of the planes are pretty bad right now.

You might might want to tell those alpha testers to be careful what they say, the NDA is still in effect.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd second buying Marder II. Also Hetzer! I know it had (or still has) bad reputation, but it turns like a dime and the gun could one-shot StuG III and it made short work of French tanks at equal tier. Mine got positive K/D ratio and I think >50% win rate ratio.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a B12 EU channel?

I put one up sometimes, nobody ever joins :(

I just search 'bay' whenever i go online...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I tried this out today, it's surprisingly fun. I mean, tanks. You wouldn't think you'd get so much fun out of lumbering tanks that take three shots and explode.

Anyways, I'm going Soviet with my tech tree, currently toying around with a tier-three light tank of some sort and grinding up tank destroyers. It's amazing what a difference an 18K gun makes on a destroyer. Not that it saves me from going splat in one shot, but.

Careful with soviet tanks. Your guns are usually fine once you get past the first crap gun they always start you out with, hell, even a bit better than other tanks, but getting shot hurts so much more due to them not really focusing on armour.

I'm a dedicated soviet player (I only have 3 or so tanks that aren't soviet out of the tanks that I own and I have a couple extra garage slots) and i've noticed it only gets better when you get up to heavy tanks. The mediums can't really deflect much either, not even the brilliant T34. It seems to only deflect if i'm turned at just the right angle and really, really far away. 
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have played nearly all Soviet heavy and medium tanks.

Their heavy tank line is awesome once you reach KV-3 (Tier 7). Can't speak about KV-2 (Tier 6 after recent update) because it was at Tier 5 when I got it and I was simply overpowered that time. KV-3 itself is one of the best Tier 7 tanks out there with its relatively tough armour and great gun (107mm ZiS-6) for its tier. Plus the recent speed buff makes it more mobile.

The IS-7 line is leaning toward mobility while IS-4 line is leaning toward armour. I personally value mobility over armour because I think a tank needs to be in the right place to make a difference in a battle. IS-3 is one of my best performing tanks.

Their medium tank line isn't that good until you reach T-34/85 (Tier 6). Upgraded with 100mm gun, that tank has serious firepower for its tier. T-43 (Tier 7) is relatively weak for its tier, sporting the same top gun that T-34/85 has. T-44 has been buffed since the last time I used it but Rex_Nex is a T-44 pro so maybe he can give more advise. T-54 is underpowered, not worth getting.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

but getting shot hurts so much more due to them not really focusing on armour.
You sure we're talking about the same nation that produced the lump of impenetrable titanium alloy and named it the KV?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, the KV3 has less armor then the IS, and its a lot slower :P

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KV-3 is relatively zippy with the top engine. You'll never get above 30ish km/h. But you don't lose much speed up hills like other tanks and you can pop in and out of cover relatively well. I disliked the KV-3 before it was moved up a tier, but now it's probably my favorite heavy I've played. (Out of not that many. Mostly the KVs leading up to it.) It's gun can pen most tanks it goes up against at least at the sides and backs. I've gotten more than a few kills on 9 and 10 tier tanks just by being in the right position. You can't play it like a true heavy most of the time, it's actually somewhat similar to playing the t-28 was, way back. Somewhat quick, somewhat weak armor, big as a barn, but a pretty decent gun, when upgraded. I'll usually find someone bigger on the team and stick close to them, giving  them support and doing flanking work. Especially like working with KV-5s. Makes me feel like a cruiser to their battleship.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My main problem with it is that it is, like I said, a slow IS. I really dislike driving vehicles that I know are just nerfed versions of better vehicles. Its relatively fast with the final engine, and sure, the gun is great, but the IS gets the same cannon, similar armor (Better hull armor, worse turret armor), and is even faster. It also leads to a better line of tanks, because IMHO the new IS4 is garbage.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The numbers agree with you, but honestly, I believe the IS has a few weak points that aren't accounted for in the numbers. Just a hunch though. I don't have any evidence for it. IS definitely looks like a good tank though and I'm looking forward to trying it after I get through the KV-1S

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The IS does have a weakspot. The lower plate is pretty thin, I think. On the other hand, the KV3 is also susceptible to engine fires. With either tank you are going to be doing your best to not get hit, because neither tank has good armor.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

but getting shot hurts so much more due to them not really focusing on armour.
You sure we're talking about the same nation that produced the lump of impenetrable titanium alloy and named it the KV?

Impenetrable my arse. I still can get destroyed pretty damn quickly in my KV-2 if I accidentally expose myself for more than a few seconds. The heavy line is different, sure, but everything up to that relies on mobility. Unlike german tanks, which bounce a lot of shells.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The terms such as "impenetrable", "overpowered", or "underpowered, should be look at with the context of comparing the performance of a tank in question relative to other tanks at the same tier. KV-2 was overpowered at tier 5, but I think it is mediocre at tier 6. I'd say KV-3 has great armour for its tier, but of course it's no match to the firepower of tier 8 tanks and above.

Also re IS vs KV-3... from my experience playing M18, somehow I found it easier to reliably penetrate IS frontally. Probably because its driver's slit is weak. And I was terribad at IS (my first tier 7, so lack skills and experience when I got it) so probably I have bias against it. :P

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bleh, Russian tanks don't have good armor. I can count their well armored tanks on... well, two fingers. The KV-1 and IS7.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 251