Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Am I antisocial, or do people just suck, both? Honest question.  (Read 5539 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Am I antisocial, or do people just suck, both? Honest question.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 01:53:04 am »

Mafia
4524 posts of the member's 17093 posts (26.47%)
4524 posts of the board's 69795 posts (6.48%)
Yeah? Well ya'll crazy people. :P And I love you anyhow.

I've never played mafia online or know how it runs compared to the party version.

As for the OP's problem, it's better to have a few good friends than lots of shitty "friends" that don't give a damn about you.

Dr Seuss said it best when he said, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

If people are assholes, screw them. There are plenty of non-asshole people out there but they're generally too nice, also getting screwed by all the assholes. Perhaps you're antisocial, but that's no reason to have no social life. If you're feeling worn out, then get stronger. That's what the world needs.

It takes a certain amount of inner strength to believe in oneself, to put yourself out there right in the face of social judgement, but fear not! Remember that everyone had to start somewhere, and the first step is just that, having faith in yourself to take that first step. It might be the first step to going outside away from the computer, the first step to opening a new conversation with a stranger about how their day has been, the first step towards striking up a conversation with some cute girl/boy.

So what should you do? Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!

EDIT: And with any sort of relationship... things will get messy. :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:01:38 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 04:59:28 am »

Something that's really nice to do is pick your biggest interest, and go to a convention for it.  It's a great place to make friends, and it's really nice to be "among your own" once in a while.  People don't suck if you're with the right people.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 11:37:40 am »

IMO, people as a whole suck. Blind patriotism, religious extremism, propaganda, crowd panic, mass ignorance, gangs, racism, etc, etc. It's not one person, it's a big group.

However, there are a lot of people who aren't assholes. They are so rare, that I like to befriend all of them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »

I too suffered from a similar situation in my old school, but I found a rather nice way out of it. People can by very susceptible to bribing, if you do it the right way. I bought lots of cheap toffee and mints (you can get them dirt cheap, so don't worry on the cost front). Whenever I saw someone, I would offer them a mint/toffee (not both, the flavour would clash horribly) and then be very friendly, even if I didn't particulaly like them. It had amazing results.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

Sticks are cheaper than carrots.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 01:23:11 pm »

Sticks are really hard to work with though.

I separated all my friends objects into two group and tried sticks on one and carrots on the other, progress is about five times faster with carrots.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »

I'm very good friends with maybe two dozen people and I'm having a great time on this planet but I couldn't tell you exactly how I got to this point. I guess I've always had someone at my back.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »

Meh, I just go: "Look, I have lots of carrots!  And here I am giving them to my friends.  See how well we get along.  Also, I have an enormous stick.  Would you like some carrots, or would you like to deal with the stick?"

Works pretty well, most of the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »

I just sit around. And people go.. "hey, who's that weird kid sitting there alone? maybe he has no friends. lets talk to him." It's a good way to meet nice people. And for some reason, it makes me attractive to the people who like cats.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 03:23:28 pm »

I have a pink balloon holding my glasses together.

People ask me about it a lot.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

Meh, I just keep a sort of wistful look on my face and people tend to avoid me... Wait, you actually WANT friends?
*Hugs*

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »

Oh noes!! Double Post!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:12:53 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 09:12:55 pm »

:) Thanks. Gonna have to work on it, but who knows. Maybe.

Spoiler ed for whining
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
End bitching session....

Basically, I just find people are insane. They will yell at you over nothing, because they think they are right without even considering they may be mistaken.
I get yelled at a lot in my job, because some client screwed up. My personal relationships, what few there are, are quite dysfunctional. The better of them are where people primarily ignore me. I'm kind of a looser I guess. Trying to fix that.

Life Advice.

Um, yes please? I get the feeling everyone else gets the inside reference and I don't. No?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »

Life Advice is a section of the forum, and where this thread should be moved to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3