Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School  (Read 6347 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 07:10:00 am »

There is either some hilarious repressed rage or some hilarious trollin' going on from Eugenitor in this thread.

Well, on the plus side, at least it's an entertaining trainwreck.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 08:09:42 am »

The freedom of speech argument is weak. Under that logic, you can say that graffiti violates freedom of speech.

This is not graffiti, this is a sheet of paper, making a simple request and obeying the school code of conduct.

And you put that sheet of paper where it wasn't supposed to go. No different than taking a crayon and writing on some wall without permission.

Freedom of speech (in the first amendment sense) only applies to the government, though. Not anywhere else. A world with true freedom of speech would be like /b/. The "freedom of speech" card is always a low blow, and gets you scorn from a lot of neutral people.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 09:50:38 am »

In a sense, this could be considered the government, as it's a public school. The US at least considers it government enough to apply separation of church and state to its practices. What this means for posting bulletins, I have no idea, especially not for Canada, where the first amendment isn't even a consideration.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:52 am »

America was cool and decided it wasn't fun to have lots of extraneous letters and syllables on everything.  "ugh" as "ff" is so two hundred years ago.
What, so you spell it tuff?

No.  Webster wanted us to say "laf," "tuf," etc. but they didn't let him go that far.  Most words like that are still there, but we say pronounce "draught" with an F and for the longest time I thought "draught" was pronounced "drot"
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »

Oh, I thought drought and draft were two different things, pronounced drawt and drafft respectively.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »

I have no idea, especially not for Canada, where the first amendment isn't even a consideration.

We don't actually have guaranteed Freedom of Speech or Freedom of Press, but the Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives us close to an equivalent (the government can mandate that something be 'blacked out', but it only ever happens when we're being attacked by rebels or someone notorious is going through a trial, the theory being that people will vote the ruling party out in the next election if they are too free with it).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 03:40:36 pm »

The way you said "it only ever happens when we're attacked by rebels" seems to imply this is a regular thing.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »

It is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloc_Qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois

Blatant traitors we allow to sit in the equivalent of Congress.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »

Roughly every other week, the South secedes and we fight the Civil War all over again.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 08:26:28 pm »

the equivalent of Congress.
The word you're looking for is "parliament".

And while the notion of Quebec seceding is fucktarded, referring to the loons who somehow think increased division is a good thing as "traitors" who are inexplicably tolerated is rather ironic given your bitching about how unconscionable the horrendous censorship of not being allowed to act like a twat and plaster posters condemning National Act Like a Hobo Eve all over your school is.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 11:58:30 pm »

By definition the Bloc Quebecois is a revoilutionary organization.

HOWEVER they have the right to try an secede and we have the right to tell them no, that they joined of their own free will and that they should stop bitching and try to make Canada better instead of trying to leave.

Libertarianism.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:16 am »

Zrk2 is just being a reactionary. The Bloc Quebecois is a non-violent movement which formed out of the FLQ, especially after francophones lost sympathy for using violence as a political tool following the October Crisis of 1970, when Pierre Trudeau announced martial law in a bid to defeat the Front de liberation du Quebec. The FLQ was a terrorist group who fought for the independence of Quebec. They kidnapped the Quebec Minister of Labour, Pierre Laporte. A few days later, Pierre Trudeau uttered his famous line "Just watch me", and rolled in the tanks.

Laporte died, though. The FLQ claimed that it was an accident, and they had forgotten to put airholes in the trunk of their car.

The Bloc Quebecois is well within its rights to exist and have its beliefs, though. We are a Confederation, so any province is free to leave if it wants to. Quebec really has been getting the poor end of the stick for a long time. Us anglophones don't like to discuss it.

We've had other rebellions in our history, too, but we like to keep it hush hush.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 02:07:59 pm »

Most other rebellions were bar fights in Toronto, except Louis Reil.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:25 am »

So off track.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5