Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School  (Read 6354 times)

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

Yeah, it might be easy to get mad at you, with your universal health care and your thick social safety nets and all, but it's hard to stay mad at you because you're all just so cute! You can pretend to be a real nation, with Quebec arguing for independence and everything (the most *precious* of the precious.. they want to establish French as their main language! Awwww.), and all we want to do is pat you on the head and give you a treat.

I picked up a Canadian hitchhiker once, drove him a hundred-odd miles before we parted ways. He really did say "eh" and "key" for K and "zed" for Z.. It was so precious. ♥

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »

"zed" for Z

Wait, there are other ways to pronounce Z?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 08:31:21 pm »

"zed" for Z

Watch this all the way through and you'll get some ice cream.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

"zed" for Z

Watch this all the way through and you'll get some ice cream.

I continue to be baffled by American pronunciation.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:56 pm »

America was cool and decided it wasn't fun to have lots of extraneous letters and syllables on everything.  "ugh" as "ff" is so two hundred years ago.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »

You know what I find to be hilarious about this whole thing?

You tried to censor the kids running their homelessness simulation (I forget what this was called when I did it in Grade 12, but in our case, it was a charity), by posting up advertisements which put them in a negative light on the school's bulletin board, after having failed to ask anybody first (your school doesn't have administrative assistants?). Then, when you got backlash for this, you pulled the 'freedom of speech' card. If you wanted the people running the event to hear you so badly, why didn't you go talk to them, instead? What is posting up your fliers going to do?

Better yet, why so ideological about Remembrance Day? Are you in a military family or have Grandparents who served in the Second World War (you're likely too young to remember anybody who survived the First World War, less than a handful of those veterans are still alive today)? For the amount of outrage you put into this, you'd better live in Trenton, Kingston, or Petawawa (and if it's the latter, sorry for your shit luck, that's the worst place to be sent besides Cold Lake).

I was an army brat. I went to ceremonies when I was in air cadets for a few years. All the war veterans in the area, my father included, also went to the ceremonies. Then, we came home, and we kept living our lives, regardless of what day it was. My Dad spent this last November 11th's afternoon playing WoW. You better go leave some fliers at his door.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 11:08:52 pm »

Seriously, my grandpa decided to commemorate his service in WW2 by taking my older brother to his first strip joint on Veterans Day.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:54:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »

You know what I find to be hilarious about this whole thing?

You tried to censor the kids running their homelessness simulation (I forget what this was called when I did it in Grade 12, but in our case, it was a charity), by posting up advertisements which put them in a negative light on the school's bulletin board, after having failed to ask anybody first (your school doesn't have administrative assistants?). Then, when you got backlash for this, you pulled the 'freedom of speech' card. If you wanted the people running the event to hear you so badly, why didn't you go talk to them, instead? What is posting up your fliers going to do?

Wrong. They have the right to hold the event on any day they want and I have the right to protest it. I tried to argue that to the VP as well and was still shot down. I am not from a military family but I did lose one great grand father in the Falaise gap, one to the crushing of the Dutch reistance and have heard stories from my grandmother about the day they came to take him away.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

I don't have all that much to say about issues like this. It's kinda distastful to do homelessness stuff on Vets Day (which is on the same day and roughly the same thing), but not a giant slight. Most schools do have a policy about protesting stuff or placing flyers without Admin. aproval.

A lot of Veterans like to stay inside and spend time with their families on those sort of holidays. Army Times had some discourse about the issue these last two weeks.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:29 pm »

America was cool and decided it wasn't fun to have lots of extraneous letters and syllables on everything.  "ugh" as "ff" is so two hundred years ago.
What, so you spell it tuff?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 09:45:57 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:54:38 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 11:54:17 pm »

Sorry, but relatives you never met dying in the war does not cause you bone-crushing sadness.

Here is where you went wrong: You don't get to protest the institution on the institution's announcement board. You weren't thinking when you did that.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 06:57:29 am »

There is either some hilarious repressed rage or some hilarious trollin' going on from Eugenitor in this thread.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 07:06:22 am »

There is either some hilarious repressed rage or some hilarious trollin' going on from Eugenitor in this thread.

Eugenitor has become enraged!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:09:27 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5