Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School  (Read 6356 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Rememberance Day, Freedom of Speech, and My High School
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:59:15 am »

The freedom of speech argument is weak. Under that logic, you can say that graffiti violates freedom of speech.

This is not graffiti, this is a sheet of paper, making a simple request and obeying the school code of conduct.

Also, we were civil when we went to the office to talk to them, they just stonewalled us.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 12:32:58 pm »

(I'll probably get banned for this, but fuck it)

What's the problem?

Homelessness and veterans go perfectly together!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 03:41:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure kids have no civil rights in schools.  At least in the perception of its authority...

You'd have to go over their heads to get anything of that sort...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure kids have no civil rights in schools.  At least in the perception of its authority...

You'd have to go over their heads to get anything of that sort...

To be frank, there are few civil rights in schools. You need permission to do anything, that normally outside of school you would have no problem doing.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »

What, you mean you didn't know?

C'mon, let's take a trip down memory lane. Let's go to World War One, on the border between France and the German Empire.

"Over the top!", came the order! The half-mile of machinegun nests and barbed wire was to be broken with.. wait for it... a massed infantry charge! Surely these had to be superhumans, able to dodge bullets and withstand artillery fire, for their commanders to send them directly into the killing zone! Well.. no. The order, more often than not, was suicidal, and some died quickly, some screaming for water.

That's not even counting the ones who bought their plot without even taking an enemy bullet. Where do you think the word "trenchfoot" comes from? Mmm, gangrene! Ooh, don't forget the chemical weapons! I'll have my masses of dead meat with a side of mustard gas, please. Blistered skin, internal bleeding, excruciating pain.. delicious! (The Geneva Conventions ban chemical weapons. Now you know why.)

And the people who survived this ordeal, shrapnel in their ass and enemy blood up to their elbows, emerged totally fine in the end and everything ended up peachy keen for them.. hahahaha, of course not. They actually had permanent physical damage, horrible nightmares, psychosomatic symptoms like trembling hands, and an inability to forget (<-- lol irony) the horrors they've seen, wondering how the fuck they got involved in any of this, the world going on without them as they were in many ways permanently trapped in the blood-soaked trenches of 1916. Of course, they didn't call it "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" back then, they just called it "shell shock". And so horrifically many of them, just as they do today, ended up unable to hold a job, destitute, and on the streets.

You know, the same people you asked your school not to think about on Remembrance Day.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »

Could have said that in the first place, Eugenitor, instead of LOL TROLLFONT. Nicely put anyway, in the end.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

I'm not sure how it is up in Canada, but in the US, freedom of speech, more or less, isn't.

You're not allowed to, for example, scream "FIRE!!!" in a crowded theatre.  Sure, it's speech, but it's not what you'd call "protected speech."  Similarly, Workplaces are perfectly allowed to limit the types of speech you (an employee) can use.  I work in a call center.  I'm not allowed to say "Fuck."  Even if I'm not on the phone.  This is because my neighbor could be on the phone, some grandma somewhere could hear "Fuck" in the background, and it give her a heart attack (or something) and she sues the crap out of my workplace.  So "Fuck" is not included in my freedom of speech at work.  Heck, many workplaces ban talking about religion and politics at work.  There's good reason for this, as many people tend to feel rather strongly about those two topics, and if someone else, who feels just as strongly, but in the opposite direction, hears it, it could cause problems.  Serious problems.  Potentially "bring a gun to work" problems.  So they just don't allow it.

Workplaces are also permitted to control what customers, i.e. John Q Public, can say.  Neat trick:  Go see a G-Rated movie in the theater and scream curse words at the screen the entire movie.  Oh?  You got kicked out before the movie ended?  Well, that's freedom of speech for you.

Here's another good one:  Go visit a courtroom, while court is in session.  Talk.  I bet the bailiff will come over for a chat.  If you persist in talking, you may even get fined!  It's not very free if you have to pay cash, and still don't get to do it!  Lame.

Or, I don't know, get on TV and curse up a storm.  I bet that won't get censored out, not one bit!

---------------

What I'm saying is that them saying you need permission to post something on their boards is not a restriction of free speech. 

Point: You're here, talking about it, aren't you?  Men in Red aren't coming to haul you away for speaking out, are they?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »

Yeah... they could try linking it to the plight of homeless veterans or something.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »

Your examples are strawmen. This is not being a dick, this is voicing a valid opinion in rational tones, relating to an issue that involves the school. As it relates directly to the school and is handled in a civil fashion I do not think your examples apply.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:46 pm »

I'm not sure how it is up in Canada, but in the US, freedom of speech, more or less, isn't.

You're not allowed to, for example, scream "FIRE!!!" in a crowded theatre.  Sure, it's speech, but it's not what you'd call "protected speech."  Similarly, Workplaces are perfectly allowed to limit the types of speech you (an employee) can use.  I work in a call center.  I'm not allowed to say "Fuck."  Even if I'm not on the phone.  This is because my neighbor could be on the phone, some grandma somewhere could hear "Fuck" in the background, and it give her a heart attack (or something) and she sues the crap out of my workplace.  So "Fuck" is not included in my freedom of speech at work.  Heck, many workplaces ban talking about religion and politics at work.  There's good reason for this, as many people tend to feel rather strongly about those two topics, and if someone else, who feels just as strongly, but in the opposite direction, hears it, it could cause problems.  Serious problems.  Potentially "bring a gun to work" problems.  So they just don't allow it.

Workplaces are also permitted to control what customers, i.e. John Q Public, can say.  Neat trick:  Go see a G-Rated movie in the theater and scream curse words at the screen the entire movie.  Oh?  You got kicked out before the movie ended?  Well, that's freedom of speech for you.

Here's another good one:  Go visit a courtroom, while court is in session.  Talk.  I bet the bailiff will come over for a chat.  If you persist in talking, you may even get fined!  It's not very free if you have to pay cash, and still don't get to do it!  Lame.

Or, I don't know, get on TV and curse up a storm.  I bet that won't get censored out, not one bit!

---------------

What I'm saying is that them saying you need permission to post something on their boards is not a restriction of free speech. 

Point: You're here, talking about it, aren't you?  Men in Red aren't coming to haul you away for speaking out, are they?

Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 07:40:46 pm »

I was unaware Canadians had rights. Obama must be generous to our underlings.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:07 pm »

I sincerely hope that was a troll.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »

Citizen of a vassal state says what now?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 08:20:40 pm »

Citizen of a vassal state says what now?

Says take your Obama-care and suck it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5