Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Negative Mass & Wormholes.  (Read 3570 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Mass & Wormholes.
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 11:46:41 am »

The problem is, if there was exactly the same amount of matter and antimatter created in the nascent phases of the universe's life, what caused matter to prevail over it's twin brother?
And that precise question is one of the biggest cosmological questions of today. Although they did manage to find a small asymmetry: some type of nuclear decay produces slightly more matter than antimatter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP-symmetry#CP_violation_and_the_matter.E2.80.93antimatter_imbalance

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

Indeed. However, it is more likely if we say large bodies of antimatter existed in the universe. After several generations of stars, antimatter, had it been able to form stable bodies, would likely have anhialated for the most part. If such structures are to be found, we would likely find them at the edge of the visible universe, closer to the big bang. Although having not looked into the discussion surrounding the early universe, I can't really speculate at how likely such a thing would have been, even then.

And if an antimatter and normal matter star were to collide... It would be one of the biggest light shows the universe had ever seen.
The problem is, if there was exactly the same amount of matter and antimatter created in the nascent phases of the universe's life, what caused matter to prevail over it's twin brother? It couldn't simply "annihilate", as the process requires equal amounts of matter and antimatter to convert them to radiation.
While I read a book once, in which the author argumented for the possibility of basically half of the stars in e.g.our Galaxy to be made of antimatter, and that it could be just as well undetectable for us or any other observer(unless somebody actually bothers to visit), this does seem highly unlikely, providing the amount of energy released during annihilation, and the fact that over the millenia, somewhere, somethings simply would have to collide with one another, creating the sort of fireworks that we've never seen before.
In other words, it actually seems that the observable universe is composed only of matter, so where did the anti-matter go?
Maybe it was shot out of the universe at the speed of light-
First.

And we aint even gonna see it again.

perhaps matter and anti-matter

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 02:44:11 pm »

Meh.

Maybe it is just on the otherside of the universe then where we are.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 03:43:47 pm »

Maybe... we are the antimatter.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »

Okay, thats .7 Tg. Where is the rest?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:51:22 pm by Criptfeind »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 05:35:00 pm »

Bet dem' anti-matter aliens feel smart now.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »

All this thread has left me with is questions.

predominately, what would happen when (It will happen) a human bones a Anti-Matter alien?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »

predominately, what would happen when (It will happen) a human bones a Anti-Matter alien?
Their passion would explode the world!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »

Boom Boom?

They would go out with a bang?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:18:54 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 06:31:31 pm »

This thread has infinite hilarity.

"Negative mass" indeed. Maybe when the density of an black hole gets to 2^31kgm^-1 it'll roll over to negative figures or something.

No, but, seriously, lol.

P.S. The best part had to be the anti-matter bit! It's almost like the bullshit Dan Brown wrote! Here's the thing: It seems that what we consider to be normal matter is marginally more stable (by a minimal degree, seriously, a tiny amount) than anti-matter, which meant there was less anti-matter and it appeared to decay into "normal matter". Not like half the universe is a carbon copy of the other half but in ANTI-MATTER. AAAAND now I've read the third page and seen this has already been said.

Complete annihiliation of one or the other depending on what kinda of environment they're in. In the case of a vacuum or a situation similar to that, annihiliation of opposing particles (electron / positron, proton / antiproton, neutron / antineutron) would occur - resulting in those parts violently being turned into light and probably other particles.

Really, though, this thread was good for some laughs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:43:25 pm by The Transcendent Tyrant »
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »

There love.

It is blinding.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 01:32:12 am »

Why do I always find these threads AFTER they deteriorate into sex jokes?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 02:12:49 am »

You know what I want to see? Matter where the inertial mass is different from the gravitational mass. That would be fun.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

A universe where all the coefficients of friction are negative!

Moonwalking for everyone!

( Well, not really, because damn, bipedal motor functions would be buggered up. )
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 11:04:10 am »

whoa negative friction

Jogging. Writing. Hopscotch. DAMN
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4