Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Negative Mass & Wormholes.  (Read 3565 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Negative Mass & Wormholes.
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:38:08 pm »

I'm copying my theory(for lack of a better word) on wormholes and negative mass here. I writ this in my deep thoughts.txt(something I use to just log down stuff to get it off my mind) so yeah, it's a little dramatic/big-wordey.

When they say anything is possible, they lie not. It is the truth-I find this in one fact, one so simple but so complex...Time passes infinitely slower as the mass of a object increases-This can often be seen in black holes, as time decreases the nearer you approach. Any object creates a dimple in the space-time continuum-Anything with mass. What if you could have something that has.. Negative mass? Time would pass infintely faster, and theoretically, you could create a Anti-black hole.This idea.. Is revolutionary. I have never heard of it before...Except in my thoughts. Time travel is not impossible, my friends-it is simply an obstacle, a speedbump if you will, to our ascent to omniscience. Great things are happening, my friends, great things. Wormholes are the opposite of black holes, and therefore must consist of negative mass... To say anything else is ignorance. Ignorance of the fact that there must be something inside the black hole, and that is a wormhole. There is nothing else.

Basically what I said was, I think wormholes, if they exist(which they almost inevitably do) consist of negative mass. Mainly due to the fact that I think there is a bridge between a black hole to a wormhole. The wormhole HAS to consist of negative mass because of the Casimir Effect. If the end of a black hole is a wormhole, and the end of a wormhole is a black hole then they must be opposites! A black hole consists of positive mass.. And therefore, a wormhole must consist of negative mass.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Negative Mass & Wormholes.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:53 am »

Basically what I said was, I think wormholes, if they exist(which they almost inevitably do) consist of negative mass. Mainly due to the fact that I think there is a bridge between a black hole to a wormhole. The wormhole HAS to consist of negative mass because of the Casimir Effect. If the end of a black hole is a wormhole, and the end of a wormhole is a black hole then they must be opposites! A black hole consists of positive mass.. And therefore, a wormhole must consist of negative mass.
If, at the end of a sea is a river, and the end of a river is a sea, then they must be opposites. Seas have tuna. Therefore, rivers have spaceships.

I'm not saying it's not true, just that there needs to be more than philosophy backing your arguments :P Neither wormholes nor negative mass have been observed in real life. They're far from inevitable.

Wormholes are the opposite of black holes, and therefore must consist of negative mass... To say anything else is ignorance. Ignorance of the fact that there must be something inside the black hole, and that is a wormhole. There is nothing else.
Actually, there are any number of other things that could be inside a black hole. Most likely, hyper-condensed matter/energy and not much else. There are other theories, but without being able to send a probe in that can get back out, or building an enormously expensive structure to rotate and expose its singularity, there could be a giant floating eyeball with ten thousand spears emerging from its dangling optic nerve, and we'd never know.

For that matter, this stuff is, at the very least, millenia from our reach, simply because using conventional propulsion we'd have to bring the materials to construct a wormhole to a blackhole - getting even a small craft, hell, a mote of dust to any blackhole, even under unreasonable time-frames (you'd have to make adjustments en-route) is beyond our capabilities at the moment. Either that, or we'd have to find two free-ranging wormhole mouths and somehow attract one of them to a useful position. Then, by exploiting relativity, you could possibly travel back a certain amount of time, but not before one or both mouths of the wormhole were found and accelerated away from each other. As in, no travelling back to 21st century Earth, ever.

Not only that, but without a Roman Ring (two or more wormholes), you're likely going to be traversing a significant distance in space as well as time, meaning the difference will at best require a very large, very fast trip through normal space to gain any time at all. It would be useful for communications, but that's about it. (Good luck finding two wormhole mouths in the vastness of space that are close enough together to even consider making the first part of a roman ring, let alone being lucky enough to have the other ends be close enough together to finish it.)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:58:23 am »

Time passes infinitely slower as the mass of a object increases

That is velocity no?

This can often be seen in black holes, as time decreases the nearer you approach.

Never heard that before, can you link your sources?

What if you could have something that has.. Negative mass? Time would pass infinitely faster, and theoretically, you could create a Anti-black hole.

Ah yes. But, have you ever considered if you eat nothing but chocolate and bacon geese you live forever? Oh wait no, you will not.

The analogy is you can say, assume A and then extrapolate. But that does not mean A is correct.

This idea.. Is revolutionary. I have never heard of it before...Except in my thoughts.

Two reasons.

One: Most people don't make stuff up and then call them revolutionary.
Two: You must not have looked very hard. We had this same thread on these forums not too long ago.

Wormholes are the opposite of black holes, and therefore must consist of negative mass...

Wait, how are they the opposites of black holes?

Black holes are just matter that has personal space issues. Wormholes are theoretical reasons to fire the universes seamstress.

Excuse a poor dumb boy but a cursory search has provided you are mixing completely different things together then adding a dash of science fiction to come to a idea that has been laughed over before and it call it revolutionary.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:00:57 am »

Time passes infinitely slower as the mass of a object increases

That is velocity no?

This can often be seen in black holes, as time decreases the nearer you approach.

Never heard that before, can you link your sources?

most of what he posted is BS, but he's right about those two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:05:29 am »

Ah, there we go.

When talking about things such as this the whole text should be yellow. :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:15:17 am »

Black holes and wormholes aren't opposites.

Black holes are really dense blobs of matter.

my understanding of wormholes is this. Space is like the surface of a balloon. You can say that the universe is expanding as if the balloon is inflating, but space itself has no center. The inwardness/outwardness of the balloon is like a fourth dimension. Wormholes would be little paths that lead through the air-filled part, connecting parts of the surface.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:18:18 am »

I like my way of putting it better.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:44 am »

Black holes are just matter that has personal space issues. Wormholes are theoretical reasons to fire the universes seamstress.
Hehe analogies.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 07:45:25 am »

Large amounts of matter collapse into an extremely dense point and then, somewhere in the universe/existance, a wormhole pops up that matches it?

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:56:09 am »

When they say anything is possible, they lie not. It is the truth-I find this in one fact, one so simple but so complex...Time passes infinitely slower as the mass of a object increases-This can often be seen in black holes, as time decreases the nearer you approach.
Well, no. Free falling into the black hole, you hit the singularity in finite proper time. Maximum time to live once you enter the event horizon is 1.54e-5 seconds per solar mass.

What if you could have something that has.. Negative mass? Time would pass infintely faster, and theoretically, you could create a Anti-black hole.This idea.. Is revolutionary.
No, it isn't. It's called a white hole. Basically, it's a time-reversed black hole, which amounts to the same thing. However, due to the details of how quantum mechanics work, black holes emit radiation. Thus, a white hole in thermal equilibrium would look like a black hole in thermal equilibrium. Also, because of the time-reversal aspect, it is impossible to create a white hole via any means other than growing one from thermal effects (because a black hole can only be destroyed by thermal effects). The "negative mass" that you are gathering to create this beast would repel each other, which means that you're doing a quite a bit of work to bring it from infinity to one spot. I haven't worked out the figures, but this energy is real and will work to counteract the negative mass of the objects you're bringing in. As such, you might end up either destroying the negative mass, or overcoming it and creating an ordinary, Joe Blow black hole. (I am pretty certain of this, because in order to counteract the outward pressure of the negative mass, you would have to exert more inward pressure on the negative mass to make it collapse.)

I have never heard of it before...Except in my thoughts.
You need to read more.

Wormholes are the opposite of black holes, and therefore must consist of negative mass... To say anything else is ignorance. Ignorance of the fact that there must be something inside the black hole, and that is a wormhole. There is nothing else.
Um... how can something be the opposite of a black hole and yet be inside the black hole?

Basically what I said was, I think wormholes, if they exist(which they almost inevitably do) consist of negative mass.
Um... did you do any basic research of how a wormhole is formed?

Mainly due to the fact that I think there is a bridge between a black hole to a wormhole.
It's hard to parse this sentence...

The wormhole HAS to consist of negative mass because of the Casimir Effect.
No. Wormholes form spontaneously between the black hole and white hole stages. Problem is, they don't live long enough to travel through it. The Casmir effect produces negative pressure (although it has positive density), which holds open the throat of the wormhole long enough to travel through. Also, another problem is that a collapsing star cannot form a wormhole.

Finally, anyone trying to create a time machine with a wormhole will find himself probably destroying the time machine. Time machines might exist, but they are —by any definition— damn hard to create (multiple solar masses for even the smallest).

Edit: Thinko. Put "black" where I should've put "white".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:21:42 pm by Wyrm »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:35:06 am »

Interrupting your daily forum science discussion to bring you...
bacon geese

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »

Interrupting your daily forum science discussion to bring you...
bacon geese
I just google image searched bacon geese. Looks like chicken.

Insert quotes here

The reason that one paragraph has retarded sentence structure and so on is because I never expected to show it to anyone, and it's somewhere to express my deepest beliefs and feelings without critique.

Now, let me lay this out mathematically, I suppose.
Assume B is a black hole, and W is a white hole.D is time slowing down, and U is time speeding up. N is negative mass, P is positive Mass. A is the amount of something. I is infinity.

PA=D
Therefore,
B=IP
MA=D
NA=U
B=ID
W=IU
Therefore, you would supposedly emerge at the same time as you entered the time dilation range of the black hole. For sake of the theory, let's say you could enter and exit a Wormhole/Black Hole without your spaceship or whatever being destroyed. And, once again, for the sake of the theory let us assume there is a connection between Black Holes and White holes, mainly due to the principal that without dark there can be no light/without light there can be no dark bla bla bla. I'll try to get a picture from my journal scribblings up ASAP.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 01:16:13 pm »

The reason that one paragraph has retarded sentence structure and so on is because I never expected to show it to anyone, and it's somewhere to express my deepest beliefs and feelings without critique.

1. Then alter it when you're exposing it to critique.

2. Math doesn't work that way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

B=IP
STOP right there criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch. Black holes do not have infinite mass, only infinite (eventual) density.
And, once again, for the sake of the theory let us assume there is a connection between Black Holes and White holes, mainly due to the principal that without dark there can be no light/without light there can be no dark bla bla bla.
Except that there is no such principal in natural law. Our universe is made of matter, not antimatter, or matter in equal parts. Even where there are opposite phenomena, it's a little silly to assume random connections between the two without observation. You don't see physicists teleporting things through protons to electrons, and you can't shine light on something and see the shadow somewhere besides where it isn't shining. Even with quantum teleportation, or wormholes for that matter, no one just suddenly said "I bet there's a physical connection here that's possible! Let's do decades of ridiculous amounts of math and prove it." For that matter, "dark" is just the absence of light, not the opposite of light - photons do not have an opposite except their exactly opposite phase difference, which is still just more photons with their wavelength slightly time-shifted.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »

Pos. Matter may be the majority of the universe, but due to the fact that when the Big Bang happened matter and antimatter were created in equal quantitys but eventually matter almost completely cancelled out antimatter. I believe there's a large unseen portion of our universe consisting of anti-matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4