Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flamming contact breath?  (Read 690 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Flamming contact breath?
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:17:51 pm »

I've been working on a small creature that dwarves can embark with and trade for with other dwarves and not any other race, its a small metal spider-golem that has a booze barrel attached to it and it sprays booze on enemies on which should ignite when its on them and thus burn them to death but... I get really weird things

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
currently its still just a modified ELEMETAL_IRON

while testing this thing out in the areana it first starts freezing to death then burning then nothing, and I think the vapor burns away before it even lands on a target, can anyone help?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamming contact breath?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »

wait the vapor burns away before hitting the target, man that could be used to make flame throwers.
Nom nom nom

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:33 am »

in a sense thats what im trying to do... but failing, as the vapor must first be on or in contact with the victum to burn them :( which if my spewed booze just *poofs* instead of ‼target‼ then its no good. but if you can test the creature out and help me progress with this it would be awsome. On another note i believe someone had made arrows that ignite when they are at body temp...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:17:13 am »

Perhaps the "booze" could have an ignite point just below the average creature's body temperature? Have it cover the enemy, then catch fire.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 03:01:29 am »

Give the "booze" no boiling point and make its ignite temperature really low so it just shoots already-on-fire booze

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:56:20 am »

There's a slight problem with doing this - you can't make it shoot globs of flaming booze. This is because for MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK, LIQUID_GLOB actually shoots solid globs - which don't seem to melt into a liquid, unfortunately. I think the best you can get is TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW or UNDIRECTED_VAPOR. It still won't catch fire though, it seems like stuff released via MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK isn't affected by the outside environment's temperature unfortunately.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »

It might be able to catch fire when it contacts a surface?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »

I was playing with poisons and occasionally made my aspid dwarven saliva melt the body and light it on fire when injected. I will release a new version soon so you will be able to borrow the liquid.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »

If you made it a solid that liquefied when shot, you could technically cause it to hit em with magma like liquid which catches on fire at body temperature?
Nom nom nom

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:45 pm »

the problem with that sentence being 'liquefied when shot' - it doesn't though, it just stays solid.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »

There's a slight problem with doing this - you can't make it shoot globs of flaming booze. This is because for MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK, LIQUID_GLOB actually shoots solid globs - which don't seem to melt into a liquid, unfortunately. I think the best you can get is TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW or UNDIRECTED_VAPOR. It still won't catch fire though, it seems like stuff released via MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK isn't affected by the outside environment's temperature unfortunately.
The creature has MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK, LIQUID_GLOB and TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW test it out they both work, the creature spits a glob (so that it can do damage (incase its a fire immune target)) and sprays the vapor, now in a sense I'd like the booze to be able to boil away, but it seems that contaminates are not fully useful for igniting, and I don't now if its a good use for heat transfer (give or take)