Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 6209 times)

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:53:16 pm »

The only alternative I can think of is back when they attributed a different mechanism to the same phenomena

Like instead of random mutations that get selectively filtered for the benefit of the species, it was "the giraffes stretch their necks to reach high leaves and somehow this makes their babies have longer necks"
Still evolution.

I'm in a class which studied history of evolution for 6 weeks, so I know quite a bit about those theories, actually.  In fact Darwin had no specific mechanism of heredity.  That was one of the things his theory was criticized on.  Actually, the random mutation theory was originally considered an alternative to Natural Selection.  It gained more ground and became the more accepted theory when Mendel's work was discovered.  They didn't merge until the modern synthesis around the mid-early 20th century.
And the soft theory of heredity you mentioned came quite a bit before Darwinism was thought up by Lamarck.  It was known as Lamarckism.  It was never considered seriously in science, it was a theory held by radicals.  It opposed Darwinism until it was eventually discredited as a theory.  It was easy enough to show that if you chopped off mouses' tails over generations, their babies would still grow tails.

Damn, semi-ninjad by MSH.

best theory ever that I just made up:

The big bang happened, and everything was fine all the way up through the creation of the Earth. But instead of life starting out as single-celled simple things, inorganic molecules randomly came together in such a way to perfectly create all of the multicellular complex organisms we see today.

It... it's basically creationism but attributing it to EPIC RANDOMNESS rather than some kind of intelligence.

So basically it's EXTREMELY INSANE

I kind of hope in a morbid, pessimistic sort of way that someone somewhere actually believes this.

But we have the likes of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY so I guess it's not that much of a stretch.
Too late, already taken.  That was the original view of the Greek atomists.  Except it wasn't organisms being randomly made from inorganic molecules, it was everything being made of the random acts of atoms.
You lose by over 2000 years, AND they had a more extreme view.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:30 pm »

best theory ever that I just made up:

The big bang happened, and everything was fine all the way up through the creation of the Earth. But instead of life starting out as single-celled simple things, inorganic molecules randomly came together in such a way to perfectly create all of the multicellular complex organisms we see today.

It... it's basically creationism but attributing it to EPIC RANDOMNESS rather than some kind of intelligence.

So basically it's EXTREMELY INSANE

I kind of hope in a morbid, pessimistic sort of way that someone somewhere actually believes this.

But we have the likes of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY so I guess it's not that much of a stretch.
I assume your joking here and your trying to make what I said into a joke, to clarify, I believe it started out that way and it went through the whole process of evolution and so on. I believe in everything science says, except for the non-existence of god, which is a whole nother subject. I believe in evolution.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »

yes, evolution makes sence, but in the direction humanity is heading, when are humans going to reach the peak evolution stage and then start devolving?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 11:57:14 pm »

yes, evolution makes sence, but in the direction humanity is heading, when are humans going to reach the peak evolution stage and then start devolving?
Wut.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »

Pfft, don't worry about those last men! We will never stop evolving. We will be

UBERMENSCH!
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 12:00:16 am »

Never. There is no such thing as devolution or peak evolution. A species will always evolve in the manner that allows for better survival in their changing enviorment. If the change is too radical, the species in question may go extinct instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 12:00:57 am »

@Fqllve:
Hell yeah, that's just how crazily perfect those atoms randomly came together.

PERFECT.

The theory sort of endears itself to me because I always enjoy the element of chance. Like, if I hit these two rocks together, they could have a violent thermonuclear reaction that wipes out everything in a 600 mile radius. It's extremely, extremely, extremely, almost infinitely unlikely, but THERE'S ALWAYS THAT CHANCE ISN'T THERE

I never hit rocks together.

@KaminaSquirtle: MAN EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE A GOOD IDEA IT'S LIKE "oh the ancient greeks came up with that 2000 years ago and better". WELL YOU KNOW WHAT, FUCK THE ANCIENT GREEKS

@x2yzh9: I wasn't making fun of you at all. I was just accepting the challenge of coming up with an atheist alternative to evolution.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:06:32 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 12:03:18 am »

Never. There is no such thing as devolution or peak evolution. A species will always evolve in the manner that allows for better survival in their changing enviorment. If the change is too radical, the species in question may go extinct instead.

it seems as if humanity has evolved around us, turning us into soft, meat sacks.
does it hurt to walk on rocks? buy shoes!

is it hot in the summer? turn up the air!

dont wanna read Moby Dick? watch the movie!

Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 12:04:22 am »

While technically correct, it's possible for traits to cease being as useful as they once were, resulting in a species losing a certain amount of beneficial advantage. Humans probably hit their peak for successfully birthing children without assistance quite some time ago, for instance.

it seems as if humanity has evolved around us, turning us into soft, meat sacks.

Much of this is training and availability, not evolution.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 12:04:34 am »

Movies are terrible.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:41 am »

Evolution does not work by soft inheritance.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 12:06:47 am »

Air is also terrible.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:08:52 am »

I believe in "god used evolution to craft his world."

Because, seriously, God crafted humans in His image, and we're all lazy assholes. Why would he spend time manufacturing millions of animals when he could make a few micro-organisms, make a world (probably used toady's worldgen), and let history gen itself for a few hundred million years.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 12:09:42 am »

Air is also terrible.
Getting worse, too. Oxygen levels are decreasing, carbon dioxide is increasing.

Very, very slowly, of course, but still.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 12:12:58 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:35:09 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7