Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Let's Play... SM's Civ 4: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Aztlan!  (Read 12174 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play... SM's Civ 4: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Aztlan!
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:06 pm »

In a game of mine, most of the world advanced with me. Montezuma refused to do anything except flood the entire continent with Macemen and Axemen. my three units of Navy Seals had a good time with that; they'd repel 20 or 30 attacks per round while traveling across the continent that only Montezuma inhabited. The continent was literally coated in medieval soldiers, sometimes five or six per tile. Near cities, stacks reach upwards of two dozen units. Only one of my units died from slow attrition, the others just waltzed right into each of the Aztec cities one by one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:54 pm »

No real wonders left until we hit the Industrial Age, really.  We're on the cusp of the Renaissance, and unless I plough research into Nationalism (which I'm not too keen on spending on just yet) we don't have another Wonder for probably two hundred years.  Right now I'm beelining for Liberalism before the Germans or the Russians get it and maybe the Printing Press too, then burning my way through to Astronomy for the observatory research bonuses and Galleons, which I'll need for any cross-ocean trade and colonisation.  I'm at about 1420 at the moment, and probably will play through until the end of the century or the next change in gameplay (possibly Astronomy) before the next write-up.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

To be fair, most of your rivals are squished together and small. China would probably be pretty easy to take, as would Spain. Of course if you take Spain, everybody else will hate you, so it's a tradeoff.

Liberalism is one of the most important techs in the game. It's right up there with Flight and Chemistry. Assuming you have a ton of cottages everywhere like you're supposed to, Free Speech will make you a ton of cash. That's not even getting into the free tech for researching it first which you probably won't get or the other civic you get, which I can't remember what it is.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:02 pm »

Hehe, so you're like the third world all by yourself - stupidly large, with a government hated by all, low living standards, and negligible in international trade, but that's ok you've got money :D

Now you must go and conquer the rest of the world ! I can't wait for the next update.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2010, 03:16:38 am »

Love this LP so far. Hope a.nother update is imminent.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2010, 09:12:24 am »

Indeed, I have an important paper to write.  I need this to distract me with its awesomeness!  Please!   ;D

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 11:10:28 am »

Arr, t'has been Christmas and so updates have been slowed.  Writing a D&D adventure module at the moment, but I'll make sure to take time tonight to work on the next update.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »

So is this dead, then?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]