Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble finding Quests  (Read 801 times)

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble finding Quests
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

So... I've generated a world with 550 years of history... I think I set most of the options to high during gen. Things like number of megabeasts, etc.

Anyway I've started a peasant adventurer... and virtually nobody will give me quests. I've talked to every person in this one village where I started (about 50) and none of them had anything for me to do. I tried talking to about 15 in a nearby village... and finally found a 'warlord' who I presume is like a village leader, and he gave me a quest... I went off and did that... but now I can't get another one from him. I ran off to a third village, and I can't find anyone that seems to be the leader, nor can I seem to get a quest from any of the peasants or craftsmen.

Also... I understand quests are given based on renown and stuff... so I ran off into the woods and tried to find some things to slay... I found bogeymen and then thoroughly wrecked me, which I guess is to be expected.

So after this experience, I have some questions:

Am I just being impatient?
Have I done something wrong with worldgen maybe?
Must I start at hero?
Should I always be talking to everyone, or should I be looking for a leader?
Is there an easy way to locate the leader?
Does killing random things in the wilderness affect my renown?
Can I see my renown somewhere?
Does anything other than task completion affect renown?
Does renown indeed affect quest provision?

Thanks for enduring my new-to-adventurer questions... I know some of them have probably be answered before... but I've been looking around on the wiki and such, and I can't seem to find any concrete answers.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble finding Quests
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:15:36 pm »

I genned a world with 250 years of history and about 80 civilizations and 150 megabeasts. Very few quests have been given to me, only two. I am pretty disappointed, I want to quest darn it!

Well, I started asking about surroundings and discovered caves this way, there were even ettin's inside of them! Apparently, despite the fact that they'd killed five villagers, it still wasn't worth giving me a quest for.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »

You are playing .17 right? It's a stupid question, but I have had no trouble with this. In fact, I walked up to one guy and got about 20 quests from him. And then some other person gave me 5 more before I got bored of talking to him.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »

You are playing .17 right? It's a stupid question, but I have had no trouble with this. In fact, I walked up to one guy and got about 20 quests from him. And then some other person gave me 5 more before I got bored of talking to him.

Can you post worldgen info? It would be great if we could discover a way in which we could create the ideal adventuring world.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »

I just do Create New World, like I always do when a new version comes out (just to get used to it first), and 125 years of history, everything else set on high.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:23:30 pm »

You should be able to repeatedly walk up to the same person over and over again and get tons of quests. I've only been told once that there were no quests available (because they were content) and I had already performed quests for that castle lord.

As for renown you can become known for killing anything of significance whether it be task-related or not. If you go and kill some important guys or some minotaur off the beaten path, it'll appear on your task list as "report killing of ..." I think it does this with just about any sentient kill though.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

This is not the case, just about every hamlet I go to tells me that they are flattered but have no need of me. I have not gotten any quests since my first two.

What is set on "high" exactly?

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:38:18 pm »

I'm having the same issues. Messing with advanced parameters hasn't helped at all.

Some worlds I'm getting a few quests per town or hemlet, but most I'm getting none - and after wandering through 10+ inhabited places, talking to every single person, I'll get one.

I'm playing on .17, and the only thing I've changed is I'm using the MayDay graphics set - but that doesn't change any of the RAW game files.

I'm new to adventure, but am Not new to Fortress, so I thought it might be the way my perimeters were effecting monsters spawning in the world, so I did a basic spawn, and am getting even worse results.

My settings are:
World Size: Large
History: Short
Maximum number of Sites: High
Number of Beasts: High
Natural Savagery: High

Maybe changing the world size to be smaller ?

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:41:24 pm »

So I genned a new world...  and I'm using .17 for reference.

I did the quick gen thing (not advanced parameters) and left everything at default (so EVERYTHING on Medium).

I started a human peasant in a random village... and now I'm getting quests out the behind.

So I presume I must have done something strange with the old worldgen... so forgive my questions, I should have tried genning a new world first.

Hopefully others can learn from this though.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 10:42:39 pm »

I'm glad you got it to work Mir. Orion, more history is always a good thing, as it gives the night creatures and bandits time to antagonize the villagers. Hence, the villagers will task you to kill said pests.

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »

Interesting, though. There are now also more different ways for NPCs to refuse giving you quests. For example, upon reactivating my formerly retired legendary hero, I couldn't get quests anymore. The lord I had been working for just said something along the lines of me not being famous enough (even though the character was recognized as legendary hero by his civ), and the peasants all stated that he was too famous... great, I guess.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:06 am »

Interesting, though. There are now also more different ways for NPCs to refuse giving you quests. For example, upon reactivating my formerly retired legendary hero, I couldn't get quests anymore. The lord I had been working for just said something along the lines of me not being famous enough (even though the character was recognized as legendary hero by his civ), and the peasants all stated that he was too famous... great, I guess.

You can try traveling to a different civilization, where they've never heard of you before. Then the peasants will give you quests.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.