Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: killing off cats  (Read 1796 times)

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
killing off cats
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:08 pm »

Now I follow good practice:
every month or so the all kittens (and uninterested cats) are ordered for slaughter.
But I worry that some get though, my number of cats is expanding.

How can i kill them off? (THe dwarves won't mind. "X was estatic lately, X had his pet stolen and butally murdered infornt of him, X admired a finely crafted chair)

(Cats require pathfinding causing lower frame rate, and unlike other animals, they won't stay unclaimed so can't be stuck in a cage)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: killing off cats
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:34 pm »

Murder the dwarves who adopted the cats then slaughter the cats.

Or just have them walk through a door which is set as 'tightly closed' so animals cannot open it. Then kill the cat with water/magma/spikes and lever

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:59:12 pm »

Code: [Select]

########
#1+2222+
########

1 Lever set to repeat with only pet owner allowed to pull
2 Menacing spike trap linked to lever 1.
+   doors,  one tightly shut the other one normal.
#  wall
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:40:52 pm »

Murder the dwarves who adopted the cats then slaughter the cats.

Or just have them walk through a door which is set as 'tightly closed' so animals cannot open it. Then kill the cat with water/magma/spikes and lever
I considered the first,
i never thought of the second...

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 09:55:09 pm »

I have yet to kill a cat for a catsplosion. I always nip the problem in the bud early, make a cage first off from my carpenter's workshop, and cage all kittens as soon as the game alerts me to them.

Speaking of which, any way to edit the raws so that cat birth = pause game?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »

I usually put a cat smasher in the entrance to my food stockpile

DD
BB
DD

where D are doors, and BB is a bridge, linked to a lever elsewhere. It requires a bit of micromanaging to catch and kill the cat, but I generally manage to do this without killing anything else as collateral

TBH I am considering editing the damn things out of the game.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 10:48:34 pm »

I have yet to kill a cat for a catsplosion. I always nip the problem in the bud early, make a cage first off from my carpenter's workshop, and cage all kittens as soon as the game alerts me to them.

Speaking of which, any way to edit the raws so that cat birth = pause game?
to an extent (and it won;t even require, regenning a world):
data\ini\announcements.txt
edit line 99:
[BIRTH_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D]
to
[BIRTH_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D:P] to make it pause everytime an animal is born,
also useful would be:
[BIRTH_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D:P:R] to make it pause and recenter
or just
[BIRTH_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D:R] so it recenters, but doens't pause, so you don't get bugged by normal; creatures like dogs being born (though dogs and cows should be kept in cages to to minimise pathing)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:16 pm »

I recommend placing all cat lovers into the military and then order them to train in the danger room.  8) 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 11:52:12 pm »

cats have a nasty tendency to not follow their owner around, but insist on gobbling up the benevolent cave spiders whom my economy relies upon

as such it's difficult to capture the damn things. in 40d i had a fort which relied solely on cave spider silk for trade and owning a cat was punishable by death. every new immigrant who brought a cat was drafted and put in an execution chamber. the cat was later butchered.

every time a cat came it usually had time to eat between 1 and 3 spiders. it was unpleasant but never really spelled doom for my fortress. on an interesting note; the cats mostly ate spiders from the silk farm, so population declined in that area while cave spiders flourished in the kings' hall
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »

I made cats like mules about a month ago. Just got rid of their female caste, and all is good. I actually don't care about them adopting anymore.

Though before I modded them, I jus atomsmashed/incinerated all migrants that liked cats coming into my fortress. I didn't care whether they were a high master armoursmith or not. Liking cats for their aloofness was a death sentence in my fortresses.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 12:12:09 am »

You could set up a little pressure plate and hatch system to keep one confined to, say, around all the food. Just make a nice hole in the floor, cover it with a hatch, and link the hatch the a plate that will trigger on cats. I'm not sure where they'll go if they have no alternative path available so you'd want to check to be sure they'll ever step off the plate.

And of course this will inevitably drop a few dwarves in the hole so you'd want to make a nice path for them to climb back out, and probably to the side the cat's on.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:40:41 am »

IIRC If you just remove the vermin hunter tag they behave like any other animal.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:39:13 am »

Automated pet mincer:

Code: [Select]
###
#B####
# P 
# ##DD#
# ##  #
# ##  #
#P##DD#
 ^   ^- wide dwarf coridoor with no-pet doors
 |
 pet coridoor, restricted traffic so dwarves use the other coridoor

D = door, tightly closed
  P = pressure plate, make sure cats+citizens can trigger
  B = Bridge, extends down coridoor (raised by default), linked to plates

Untested, but the theory is that dwarves will take the dwarf coridoor due to restricted pathing zone in the pet coridoor.  Pets are forced to take the pet coridoor, due to the dwarf-only doors.  Pet triggers plate, bridge smishes pet. 
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:41:34 am »

Draft all dwarves with cats into the military. Put dwarves in a danger room, wait for cats to run to their masters. Simple, effective, and allows for a militia incase your normal military dies.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 07:49:24 am »

Short path. Spikes. Repeater. Restrict path.

Long path. Not restricted.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2