Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Party Strength  (Read 1104 times)

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Party Strength
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:34:10 pm »

My minor army consisting of a huge group of hardened butchers and 4 minor heros just got ambushed and slaughtered.  Even though I was walking around casually lopping off limbs with my scimitar I couldn't prevent soldiers from dying.  For every 1 soldier I had there were 3 goblin weapons either stuck in his body or in the process of shanking him.  Even though I was moving form soldier to soldier trying to salvage my army everyone still managed to die (because goblins that had previously got a little nick on the foot and run away were coming back to stab my soldiers that were lying bleeding out on the floor).

I'm now in the process of trying to create a stronger army than before.  Does anyone have a strong set of companions that can win a fight where they are out numbered 3 to 1?  Has anyone run into any elite soldiers this version?  Also, it seems like night creatures and megabeasts are easy with even 5 people.  My party had people who had killed a 700 hundred year old cave dragons, various titans, and a hydra in it but they still succumbed to superior numbers.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Party Strength
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

I ran into an elite bowman in a castle, but that's all I can answer.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

Actually I ended up with a similar situation with having a strong army. All of my guys (except one peasant) were recruited from the ranks of various castle guards. It seems like once you've accrued over ten soldiers your party becomes so badass that no force can stop you. Not even dragons or titans. Even a Kobold ambush only took two of my 14 soldiers. Admittedly, that ambush was the bloodiest and most one-sided battle I have ever seen in my life.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:35 pm »

Is it me or the bigger your party the more monsters ambush you?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »

Maybe it's related.

Meanwhile, I cannot get more that 19 companions no matter what I do. It looks like 20 is the max. party size.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jumping_Trains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »

My current game seems devoid of any type of soldiers at all to recruit.  Or children.  It's rather off-putting.  I can only imagine they were all banished after the great child massacre of 496.  So I've taken to recruiting only female peasants, to form a loyal harem to throw themselves upon my enemies.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:43:24 pm »

20 looks like an army ;)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:03 pm »

I had 20 companions at one time, but one mysteriously disappeared at some point between one quest and another, so I assume 19 is considered the limit, as I believe I have reached the maximum reputation as well.

I always recruit from castles (Any structure that isn't a block, rock or masterful symbol on the map), since the Lord who lives there always has a massive retinue of soldiers under his command (And the number appears to regenerate if I leave and return). There are no soldiers in normal towns and it is impossible to recruit bandits and night monsters.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 02:47:00 pm »

I recruited a crossbowman from a castle and when he lost his crossbow he turned into a wrestler

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »

It's good to hear that there are some higher tier soldiers.  You could train up some soldiers in fortress mode and recruit them.  The problem with adventure mode is that with a large enough group the rate at which everyone trains is about a 100x slower than the progression of ambushes that occur.  Seriously my last ambush was like a DF siege because we were sleeping in the lands of a famous goblin lasher.  I thought my army was huge and I invincible but I was surrounded by at least 60 goblins and the DF equivalent of Darth Vader.   

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »

Is it me or the bigger your party the more monsters ambush you?

It's based on party size (easier to find to ambush), reputation (you're making more enemies), or both.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 03:15:15 pm »

Yeah, the more people are in your party, the more enemies come to kick you. This includes wild animals - I had to deal with single lions before and put them down easily, but once I got over 10 adventurers I had entire prides bearing down on me every night. Although, with enough proper training in a difficult fight with a night creature or a megabest you can put most of the enemies down yourself pretty easily.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

Genesis Mod and varying Orc professions (ranged and melee) = excellent protection for a crippled Dwarf leader.

Got a nice pack of 8 Orcs under my command, and am essentially unstoppable, despite being crippled. Somehow I get the finishing blows on some creatures, usually because they don't see a cripple sneaking towards them to finish them off amongst the mayhem. :P

I would assume because of being slowed down so much due to being crippled, my army serves as a shield of sorts. Thank goodness they have some skills. Even wolf packs don't last long, and I killed off 2 wolves alongside my party. Ate the heart of a wolf to gain their power. Their rich delicious power. :d~~~
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:26:23 pm by Itnetlolor »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

If you cannot walk, craft crutches and walk with them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:02 pm »

Even if it's my char spine that makes him unable to walk?
Pages: [1] 2