Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Philosopher Dislikes Intellectual Discussions  (Read 3855 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Philosopher Dislikes Intellectual Discussions
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »

Yeah, also I have a decent fort going in 40d and I don't want to give up on it yet, I have clowns, chasm, magma, flux, obsidian layers, and all civs send regular visitors. Elf traders are LOL. If they don't take my offer I just seize what I want.

that describes most embarks in DF 2010

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »

But I've already sunk hours into this one and have a decent mega project started. I just don't feel like updating yet.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:20 pm »

Well, I'd update at some point; having a in progress fortress in an old version is a much better reason to not update than not liking the new military screen. :P

I'd've pictured the philosopher as being more like Diogenes anyway; who I can see disliking intellectual discussions.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:24 pm »

But I've already sunk hours into this one and have a decent mega project started. I just don't feel like updating yet.
When you do, here are the only key combos you'll need to know for the military:

create squad:
"mc[choose armor]{enter}{right x2}{enter x10}"
position squad:
"sam[move cursor]{enter}"
order squad to kill target:
"sak[move cursor]{enter}"
cancel orders (squad returns to civilian duties):
"sao"

That's really all you need to replicate the 40d functionality. Everything else you learn is just a bonus.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 06:35:30 pm »

quote != edit
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:21:48 pm by orbcontrolled »

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 06:56:59 pm »

That, and ma↓→↨[Enter]

Sets a squad to active.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:17 pm »

In my experiences, there pretty much IS no military in the new version yet, and the advent of burrows (for me) mostly means that I can't effectively move my people inside anymore. With a lot of trouble, I can set up a 'run to one place' burrow, but that basically means they'll not do any productive work during seiges.

So mostly, the answer is to just turn off invasions until DF gets a real military in again, which I have a feeling may be years. Or use lots of dogs/dwarven pigs (old mod), or be a real dwarf and use lots of traps.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:31:38 pm by lastofthelight »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »

Ok, so I'll stick to playing the 40d fort that I am still having tons of fun with. But on topic: Didn't Diogenes just sit around and have nothing but philosophical discussions?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »

Just set your entire indoors as a burrow.  It takes like 10 seconds once you know how.  If you close yourself off from the outside somehow, you can even turn the alert off once everyone is inside.  Every once in a while someone will do something stupid, but I honestly see that as a feature more than a bug.  Otherwise it works near flawlessly.

Military takes a lot more in-depth explanation just due to the amount of micromanagement, but it works great.

Assign a commander and then a captain for as many squads as you want via nobles screen.  Then press m for military, c to form squads, scroll with arrow keys and enter to assign dwarves.  When the uniform option pops up, I just pick metal, which gets everything right except for a couple specifics I usually change (replace any melee/shield with crossbow/metal buckler for a ranged squad, replace metal armor with metal chain shirt/breastplate).  They then equip themselves fairly intelligently.

Then the most difficult thing is scheduling, which you don't even need to get too in-depth with if you don't want.  I can't remember the keys off the top of my head, but just set them to train a few months out of the year and make sure the minimum staff assigned to the task is less than the size of the squad or your soldiers won't rest when they need to.  You can schedule them meticulously to the point that they'll handle defenses almost completely on their own, but it's just as easy to hit s, choose a squad, m, then select a spot.  That squad will then move to that spot and guard it, killing anything they meet on the way or comes near that spot.  When the threat is over, s, select squad, o, and they'll go back to whatever they were doing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »

Yeah, I just don't like the new military. Needlessly over complicated plus I see no reason why would is not an effective substitute for a sword. That stuff can cut!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 10:48:34 pm »

Hey guise. Some people don't want to update.

I'm seeing lots of "oh but you should" and not enough "oh okay cool" in this thread.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »

Ok, so I'll stick to playing the 40d fort that I am still having tons of fun with. But on topic: Didn't Diogenes just sit around and have nothing but philosophical discussions?

A bit, yeah; but he also lived naked in a barrel and called everyone stupid.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 11:46:07 pm »

I don't have a problem with people not updating... just trying to be encouraging.  If people have doubts about a specific thing that I think can be alleviated, then it feels proper to do so.  I've actually thought about going back and trying 40d myself (I started on 31.14), just because the lack of stat limits looks like it can make for some epic fun :D  The only reason I haven't, actually, is because I like the flexibility of the military & burrows systems.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 11:49:08 pm »

Yeah, who was it that di the dialogues? Was that Socrates?

Also I just finished Oedipus Rex, dem Greeks was wierd mein.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 11:50:22 pm »

Yeah, who was it that di the dialogues? Was that Socrates?

Also I just finished Oedipus Rex, dem Greeks was wierd mein.

Yeah, the dialogues were about Socrates (and written by Plato)
Pages: 1 [2] 3