Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 [1568] 1569 1570 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376302 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23505 on: November 26, 2023, 02:47:11 am »

Not death, but a pretty big fail and waste of resources.

My local goal was simple. I wanted a pickaxe head cast, a brick/ingot cast, and a thaumometer. For that purpose, I managed to collect 3 blocks of gold ore. (no other material can be used for casts)
I did the calculations, and I'd have 2 ingot's worth left over.
So I just shoved the three blocks into the smeltery. This was my first mistake, as I would not be able to cast a gold ingot into the golden cast, preventing me from making a thaumometer until I collected enough gold to make a block.

Later I came back to the smeltery, only to find out that the gold alloyed with the iron in the smeltery to form angmallen. There goes all my gold.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23506 on: November 26, 2023, 05:44:41 am »

The end of the Heaven Stealing Cultivator Ye Hu.
This was the one that was imprisoned for so long, and that eventually returned to the now-cleared northern region.
This was the one that sided with freedom against the Order of Heaven.
(This was the one that found the end to the plot, and was deeply underdeveloped in comparison to my other cultivators)

The GoldenOrde was expanding to better connect their lands. This put us in dispute with the Drunk Sect.
After many glorious battles, Ye Hu was appalled at the many, many dead drunks.
So she created a tavern to celebrate the battle and drown the horror of war.

But this would not satisfy her enemies.  She was responsible for the death of so many of their friends, they desired revenge.
And eventually, they drugged her and she was powerless to resist their vengence.
First, her Lady appeared to save her.
Second, her Family appeared to save her.
Finally, her Disciple appeared to save her.
But it did no good. As they were distracted, one cowardly villain cut off her head...

The life of Ye Hu:

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)

Coda: My next character was reincarnated with the knowledge of the terrible death. After being provided basic clothing from a kind soul, and forging some basic equipment, he stripped and humiliated the rival in a fit of vengeance. However, they also recalled the circumstances under which the rival was driven to such savagery. They would forgive the rival, give them back the same basic clothing they were given, and provide monetary compensation far below the funds stolen.
My new character is doing alright for themselves: They used the funds to kickstart a sect in one of the few vacant pieces of land, using the few techniques they inherited to create a basic form, then buying the techniques of a nearby sect to "expand their offerings". People are flocking to this new sect!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23507 on: November 28, 2023, 03:05:12 pm »

Game's made an executive decision to not let me have fun.

Found a back room and robbed it. Police on me, entirely expected, wound up spending as much as I got from the room on my bounty because one officer decided to charge his horse into mine, knocking both of us off and killing him. Apparently I'm guilty of that.

A cat died for some utterly unknown reason. I picked it up and a person immediately called the police on me for "animal cruelty". Pay off that fine too, get on my horse and instead of doing that Arthur runs another 5m away to strangle someone, netting me *another* bounty. I try to surrender, and halfway through surrendering the police just decide to shoot me.

Try to get a perfect beaver pelt or several. Virtually no perfect beaver spawns, and every single one runs into the water. Unlike every other animal in the game, it seems you can't lasso a beaver's corpse which means that I can't drag them to shore and thus can't harvest their hides. I finally get a hold of one on the West Elizabeth side of the southern state border where I'm not wanted dead or alive. Despite that, a swarm, and I mean a swarm of something like 10, bounty hunters all descend upon me within a matter of five seconds. Might as well have been under direct fire from a machine gun, I went from full hp to dead in 2 seconds, losing me the one and only perfect beaver pelt I'd been able to get a hold of.

At that point I'd decided the game was sick of me trying to enjoy myself today, so I've now rage quit.

Red Dead Redemption 2
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23508 on: November 28, 2023, 08:48:54 pm »

Game's made an executive decision to not let me have fun.

Found a back room and robbed it. Police on me, entirely expected, wound up spending as much as I got from the room on my bounty because one officer decided to charge his horse into mine, knocking both of us off and killing him. Apparently I'm guilty of that.

A cat died for some utterly unknown reason. I picked it up and a person immediately called the police on me for "animal cruelty". Pay off that fine too, get on my horse and instead of doing that Arthur runs another 5m away to strangle someone, netting me *another* bounty. I try to surrender, and halfway through surrendering the police just decide to shoot me.

Try to get a perfect beaver pelt or several. Virtually no perfect beaver spawns, and every single one runs into the water. Unlike every other animal in the game, it seems you can't lasso a beaver's corpse which means that I can't drag them to shore and thus can't harvest their hides. I finally get a hold of one on the West Elizabeth side of the southern state border where I'm not wanted dead or alive. Despite that, a swarm, and I mean a swarm of something like 10, bounty hunters all descend upon me within a matter of five seconds. Might as well have been under direct fire from a machine gun, I went from full hp to dead in 2 seconds, losing me the one and only perfect beaver pelt I'd been able to get a hold of.

At that point I'd decided the game was sick of me trying to enjoy myself today, so I've now rage quit.

Red Dead Redemption 2

For a well-liked game, it's incredibly buggy/poorly-designed. You're guilty of all crimes that happen near you, the game has an insane amount of memory leak (I've played for as much as 10 minutes at one point, but now can only manage 5, which is not enough to be able to get far enough in the tutorial to save again), and has Bethesda-levels of people bouncing into space/through the ground.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23509 on: December 09, 2023, 03:15:32 pm »

Things were going pretty well. After a couple of attempts I'd gotten re-acclimated to the controls and was cruising. Health was mostly full, I was getting geared after nearly clearing the first floor of the dungeon. Had a breastplate, two handed sword. Even Darrin was starting to get geared. I was starting to feel pretty good about myself.

Then I turned and sprinted right into a hole in the floor and fell to my death.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 03:23:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23510 on: January 18, 2024, 06:46:23 pm »

Not a personal death, but an extremely annoying one.

After a long time having not played it, i had been running a character in Oblivion.
One of the mods i was using was the most advanced companion around," Vilja " ( https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28977 ) as it's just all around excellent.

In a quest i was tasked to explore a dungeon that was filled with goblins, Vilja supported by my spells did a carnage all around, up to the point in the depth of that goblin lair when we ran into a room with a throne and several goblin berserkers protecting their chieftain.

Battle was a difficulty spike as i was still on a low level (as i spent most of the time increasing the skills that aren't linked to my character class leveling) and the guy wasn't a push over at all (unlike all the goblins we annihilated so far) and was tanking so many hits, i had to run away a few times to heal myself outside of his fireballs barrage but we managed to finally destroy that damned thing, on the loot i got a nice dremora sword, the first weapon of that kind i found at that point of the game. 

Walked back to the dungeon entrance and saved there overwriting my previous save.
Started to walk back to the quest giver to report our success and wondered why the usually very talkative Vilja was so silent during the travel. I then noticed she wasn't actually following me, i thought the character was stuck somewhere so i retraced my path back and she was nowhere to be found.

And back into the dungeon then i noticed

She was taking a nap of the eternal type.
Surprised me a bit (must have missed the death notification) as she is supposed to be set to "essential" by default (and so never really die) but apparently on the latest version you need to use the dialogue options to set her to essential.

I thought i would just load a previous save, and then it came back to me that i purged all those "useless old saves" recently.

Oh well, there were plenty of her quests to do ... i guess time to start all over again and next time always keep at least one of those  "useless old saves" :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:15:08 pm by Robsoie »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23511 on: January 19, 2024, 08:43:11 am »

"With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."
That's rough :(  But a good companion is priceless, I know the feeling.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23512 on: January 19, 2024, 11:09:18 am »

The tutorial objective was to challenge the boss of the nearby tower.

Said boss had over 30k hitpoints(me and my team have a few hundred), one-shotted my strongest Pal instantly, then quickly killed me.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23513 on: January 19, 2024, 11:22:42 am »

Shot by an idiot with a shotgun in Alien: Isolation.

"Hey, what's your problem!?"

"Back off!"

"I'll shoot!"

Then he did, and killed me.

The human enemies in Alien: Isolation are actually way, way more annoying than the alien itself, especially if you're trying to go for the no human kill achievement like I am.  I was standing in a room with no way to leave or go around this guy, and he just wandered in behind me and had the nerve to tell me to back off when I had no way to.  When I reloaded, I gladly tossed a noisemaker at him and watched with glee as the alien shredded him.

A no human kill run made me absolutely despise the Lorenz Sys/Tech spire lobby.  There are at least two occasions that you have to come through there with hostile humans armed with guns around it, and they're positioned in ways that it's impossible to sneak past them.  The first time through, I died like 5 times before figuring out there was a specific place I could toss a flare and hide to distract the one guy near the stairs you have to reach.  The second time through, I tossed noisemakers in the room to attract the alien multiple times, only for it to drop out of vents on top of me instead of going for the noisemaker.  That took like 4 tries before it actually went for the noisemaker and ate them instead of me.  It shouldn't have been a case of the AI "learning" about my tricks either since I'd used literally one noisemaker before that in the entire game.

As an extra frustration, I'm doing this achievement run because I learned that the stun baton apparently kills people, hence I didn't get the achievement last time I tried this.

Once I finish the game, I think I'm going to replay the game on an easier difficulty with the express goal of murdering every one of these people by bashing their heads in with the maintenance jack or torching them with the flamethrower.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23514 on: January 19, 2024, 12:16:42 pm »

The second time through, I tossed noisemakers in the room to attract the alien multiple times, only for it to drop out of vents on top of me instead of going for the noisemaker.  That took like 4 tries before it actually went for the noisemaker and ate them instead of me.  It shouldn't have been a case of the AI "learning" about my tricks either since I'd used literally one noisemaker before that in the entire game.
That reminds me of a situation in which i threw a noisemaker through a door toward a group of hostile people blocking my way.
... only for the noisemaker to hit the door corner and land on my feet.
I laughed at the absurdity of the situation, but not for long as the alien rushed toward me rather quickly.

"With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."
That's rough :(  But a good companion is priceless, I know the feeling.
Especially this one as Vilja is the most advanced companion in term of features, voice acting, personality and activities/quests available for Oblivion.
I think there's a version of Vilja for Skyrim too that has even more features.

I guess that is what made the loss hurting more than one of the many much more generic companions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 12:28:55 pm by Robsoie »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23515 on: January 19, 2024, 01:46:35 pm »

- snip-
Just wanted to say, thanks for bringing this companion to my attention. I may need to reinstall Oblivion one of these days and give it a whirl.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23516 on: January 19, 2024, 03:36:47 pm »

Throwing noisemakers at people in Alien Isolation not counting as a "kill" is funny to me. Tossing a pipebomb would be more humane, at least then they won't register the device at their feet about to cause them to be torn apart for very long.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23517 on: January 19, 2024, 08:23:45 pm »

Ive played the Skyrim Vilja mod, didn't know anything about the Oblivion mod at the time. Good mod, has lots of interactions with other companions (I use Ultimate Follower Overhaul so I could bring her along on the dawnguard quests.) And it had a pretty funny quest line associated with it.

Certainly much better than all the companion mods that are just sexy bimbos.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23518 on: January 20, 2024, 01:34:36 pm »

Diplomacy needs a rework. Not the mechanisms, but the actual diplomacy. Nations friendly to you are far too prone to joining on the side of the guys they hate or revolts against you.

Seriously, +69 relations. I can't sway these guys onto my side, the revolt offers them *literally* nothing, and they go "Ah yeah, realpolitik mate. The guys we're friendly with will stop being our friends and in exchange we get... Uh... Nothing, not even a friendly nation. Perfect opportunity to kill our lads."

Victoria 3
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23519 on: January 20, 2024, 04:57:33 pm »

"Ah yeah, realpolitik mate. The guys we're friendly with will stop being our friends and in exchange we get... Uh... Nothing, not even a friendly nation. Perfect opportunity to kill our lads."
Are they Russian?
Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 [1568] 1569 1570 ... 1575