Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376405 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23355 on: May 03, 2023, 04:52:37 am »

Really? I could have sworn there was one dungeon where, if you opened the locked doors in the wrong order, you screwed yourself over and would have to find that merchant that had them.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23356 on: May 03, 2023, 09:13:03 am »

I may be doing it out of order, but... yeah, that's what it looks like.  From the entrance there was a locked door and an open door, so I went to the open door.  Fought 5 wizzrobes (I think?), and they dropped a key.  This room had a locked door too.  Went that way, and it was just a dude telling me to shoot gohma in the eye.  There is literally only one door left I haven't explored, which needs a key.  I could have gone that way first instead, but didn't, so...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23357 on: May 03, 2023, 09:32:43 am »

Can't say for sure, it's been decades since I played the original LoZ, but it's possible one of the walls can be broken with a bomb if you have a few to spare with experimenting. At least it's always the direct center of the wall in a dungeon, so if it doesn't blow up with one bomb it's solid.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23358 on: May 03, 2023, 09:51:57 am »

Hmm, maybe.  Thanks, I'll try that.  I was afraid that the game would have bombable walls.  Afraid because so far that I've seen, nothing anywhere has given any indication of where I could use them, so it's like Metroid all over again where you just spam them and hope you get lucky.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23359 on: May 03, 2023, 10:06:40 am »

In the overworld that's definitely true. Bombable walls are very random but only placed where you can go 'up' into them. In dungeons, at least you only have to try where a door would normally be if there isn't one on that wall. I don't believe there's a large amount of them though.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23360 on: May 03, 2023, 06:36:15 pm »

This might help with Zelda. It has the (first world) dungeon maps, sort of, and descriptions of enemies (including the like-likes that steal your shield). https://archive.org/details/LegendOfZeldaTheNESHiResScans/Legend%20of%20Zelda%2C%20The%20-%20Manual%20%28Clearscan%29/

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23361 on: May 03, 2023, 07:05:18 pm »

Thanks, by chance I found a very similar copy of the manual last night and glanced over it.  It does vaguely hint that you should try to use new items in places so I was guessing that meant trying to bomb walls.  And funnily enough I found those two dungeons already, but I need to check if the new one I found is the next one I should be entering.  I don't remember what level it said it was.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23362 on: May 03, 2023, 08:49:07 pm »

Game glitched out on me twice. The first time, I flushed the fuel lines and the entire ship jerked sideways, crushing me instantly. The second, I burned through an attachment point into space and the fuel tank *next* to where the beam was exploded right on top of me.

This is why I'm never doing a one life run. I could survive it without the bugs, with them it's putting my trust into the arms of fate.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker

EDIT: Crushed twice by the quasar thrusters again. They're just too glitchy when they're stacked on one another as they are in some ships.

I also got blown up in a similar situation again. Beam went *next* to a fuel cell, fuel cell popped like a hydrogen balloon blowing up me and half the fucking ship.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:15:56 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

BikeRacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23363 on: May 05, 2023, 01:27:59 pm »

so it's like Metroid all over again where you just spam them and hope you get lucky.
Ha I did the other way around. I finished original zelda last month and am banging my head with original Metroid.

While Zelda was rough, for me Metroid is worse, the manual helps a bit but have no little old folks giving you hints where to go next, but the absolute worst for me is the amount of grind required to fill your health, since at least as far as I know the only health pickups are the little purple/pink orbs enemies drop that restore 5 points (no fairies like Zelda) so it takes forever.  So yeah lots of dying.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23364 on: May 05, 2023, 03:16:31 pm »

For some unknown reason, I couldn't disconnect the reactor from the thruster. It was saying it was unpowered when it shouldn't have been.

No issue, I'll cut the pipe. There's a fast evac route so the faster meltdown won't be an issue, I can bung it straight into the barge.

When it says the meltdown will be faster, it apparently means "It'll be instantaneous" because the moment I cut the fucking line the entire thing exploded. Which isn't what was said, nor implied by "faster meltdown". The implication is it'll take a moment, but if you're fast you'll be able to barge the thing.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23365 on: May 05, 2023, 08:12:11 pm »

so it's like Metroid all over again where you just spam them and hope you get lucky.
Ha I did the other way around. I finished original zelda last month and am banging my head with original Metroid.

While Zelda was rough, for me Metroid is worse, the manual helps a bit but have no little old folks giving you hints where to go next, but the absolute worst for me is the amount of grind required to fill your health, since at least as far as I know the only health pickups are the little purple/pink orbs enemies drop that restore 5 points (no fairies like Zelda) so it takes forever.  So yeah lots of dying.

That's pretty much it.  A few enemies drop health that gives you 20 points, but those also happen to be the enemies that suck to fight so you may lose more trying to farm them.  If you have a lot of missiles you can just kill them with missiles at least.  What really sucks is dying and respawning with 30 energy when you can hold 400+...

Zelda so far does seem much less frustrating overall.  I found dungeon 6 to be a massive pain in the butt and hate blue wizzrobes with a passion now, but dungeon 7 after it was a cakewalk.  I couldn't believe I even found its location just based on the random hint from the old man in one of the dungeons.

BikeRacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23366 on: May 05, 2023, 10:50:18 pm »

Hehe yup Dungeon 6 was the most frustrating for me too, and yes blue wizzrobes are the worst

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23367 on: May 06, 2023, 08:35:25 pm »

Getting caught by Giga Dark's sweeping shots and outer beams cost me a no-death run. Subsequent deaths almost cost me a 2hr run, a 1hr run long been lost due to forgetting where certain things were right when I needed them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got mobbed by drifters, I don't know how they kept spawning. Some spawned in my cellar. Managed to fight them off. Went to go feed my sheep. The ram headbutted me through the fence, killing me.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23368 on: May 08, 2023, 05:06:39 pm »

Found out what psychonaut does, on a 9th cycle attempt at a low-mobility mass summoner with psychokinesis and psychomorphism. They survived exactly one floor after activating the prestige class :P

Spoiler: game (click to show/hide)

E: changed spoiler title, latest patch lets you see the effects of prestige classes prior to actually ending up with one. Previously, it just gave you a title and how many points worth of powers you needed to activate it, heh. It was a fun bit of discovery, but the new state of things is much, much more reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:52:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23369 on: May 08, 2023, 06:53:48 pm »

Was fighting a rematch against Bug Catcher Lana. The battle would have given my Metauna a level up that would have evolved it(well, half of it, anyway). Her Catergey kept spamming Sand Attack and String Shot, while occasionally doing minor damage with Bug Bite. Despite mission so many attacks, I was one hit from taking down Catergey when it used Gust, nuking Metauna with something it should have hit with right from the start.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 1575