Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376568 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23295 on: February 24, 2023, 01:30:10 am »

In Vampire Lord form, I floated up the 7000 steps, killing a bunch of wolves and an ice troll. Before entering High Hrotgar, I reverted into my Khajiit form.

This killed me. Luckily, my last save was just before the ice troll.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23296 on: February 24, 2023, 10:08:57 pm »

Turns out the game doesn't autosave while you arei in the tower of Sisyphus. Which means that if the game crashes you lose your really good run. Drats.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23297 on: February 28, 2023, 07:22:32 pm »

Golems, even those made of soft, fleshy things like plankton, pack one hell of a punch.

In this case, however, it was made out of haematite. The thing punched me so many times, but I blocked it with my shield long enough to get to the point of being tired before it finally broke through. Arm off, leg off, second leg off, panic, other arm off, head off.

IVAN
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23298 on: February 28, 2023, 07:29:05 pm »

Y'know, I can't remember if phoenix feather golems were amazing finds or unholy death machines. It was one of the two, but I can't remember which. The parts were either super valuable and they were easy to kill, or they were basically hyperspeed monofiliament murdermachines, and it's been so long since I played IVAN I'unno which it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23299 on: February 28, 2023, 07:40:02 pm »

Discovered that, unlike my time with the original PS1 games, Mammoth tanks' missiles don't do(as much) splash damage to infantry anymore, and the AI really loves their infantry spam. Also it doesn't look like grenade and flamethrower troops explode on death anymore.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23300 on: February 28, 2023, 10:20:02 pm »

Y'know, I can't remember if phoenix feather golems were amazing finds or unholy death machines. It was one of the two, but I can't remember which. The parts were either super valuable and they were easy to kill, or they were basically hyperspeed monofiliament murdermachines, and it's been so long since I played IVAN I'unno which it is.
Both, I suspect. It's the best "light" material I believe, insanely valuable and they'll be drowning in hitpoints.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23301 on: March 11, 2023, 03:05:29 pm »

Labyrinth of Legendary Loot (thank you, sambojin) keeps track of how far you got each time you played. Each page is 7 entries, and I won 3 times out of the first 7. I felt like I was getting the hang of the game.

So far I've died on the 5th, 10th, and 11th floors out of 25 (the color changes every 10 floors, so I assume difficulty increases on those levels).

Edit: Just finished my 7th normal run. My worst easy run (the second one I did, where I screwed up) made floor 13. My best normal run (after I had an idea how to play) made floor 11. Almost all of my normal deaths involved being surrounded in a hallway or corner, and I knew I was dead several rounds earlier, with no way out. Most movement abilities cannot go through enemies or other obstacles, so once you're surrounded, you just die. My enjoyment and thoughts on the quality of the game fell in normal, where the problems with the game became more glaring.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:07:17 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23302 on: March 11, 2023, 08:02:52 pm »

It's my 2nd run of the game, one would think i learned my lesson on my first run and would sometime check above for any possible suspicious opening and avoid moving below them, especially if there's some dubious salivalike liquid coming down.

Alien Isolation

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:04:43 pm by Robsoie »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23303 on: March 11, 2023, 08:09:20 pm »

Its normal for vents to drip and hiss
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23304 on: March 13, 2023, 07:11:56 pm »

I'm right next the elevator to leave that area of the station, but let's search that dead guy nearby for materials i very likely don't need at that point just before getting out of there.

Alien Isolation

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23305 on: March 13, 2023, 07:17:09 pm »

Oh, it's only been like 6 months since I've played Alien Isolation... maybe I should fire it up again.  And I hear there's a mod that makes the alien's AI harder, so that might be worth a look too.

It's unfortunately too easy to abuse the alien's AI after your first encounter with it in medical, to the point I think I had more trouble with the Working Joes than the alien the last couple of times I played it.  Then again, at least part of that was because shooting them would attract the alien.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23306 on: March 13, 2023, 07:51:54 pm »

the hostile joes are more numerous and rather difficult to stealth through as their patrol pattern sometime change.

The alien is usually easy to avoid if you're cautious enough, though once you up the difficulty hiding from it become much harder as it will unlock more abilities for the alien (in easy by example the alien does not have the ability to go iinto the various wall vents and will never check lockers, unless it saw you come inside, but on higher difficulty it can do all of that)
Some mods tweak or increase the various alien stats to make it behave a bit differently or make it really harder to hide from in case Nightmare/PTSD level of difficulty is not enough for you, never tried any of those insane difficulty mods as the game by itself is enough to provide with PTSD .

There are some mod that increase the "leash" and tweak the alien actions that link you to the alien (as the alien always roughly move around you) , this allow the alien to be in place you never saw it goes before, in the same time as it allows it to wander further it may make hiding from it easier, but in the same time it will look for you in more place than before.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod/downloads/unpredictable-alien
https://www.nexusmods.com/alienisolation/mods/16

There's even a mod that add more aliens at the same time in case being hunted by one (spoiler alert so i'll say no more) is not enough
https://www.nexusmods.com/alienisolation/mods/30

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 07:58:40 pm by Robsoie »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23307 on: March 13, 2023, 08:00:20 pm »

Oh boy, don't think I'd want to graduate to multiple aliens, but making it more unpredictable or leashed sounds interesting.

The main abuse I found was that past that first encounter in medical, you can almost always just wait long enough and the alien will jump up into the vents.  Once it leaves, if you don't make much noise, it almost never returns.  Even on the hardest difficulties.  Sometimes I'd go tens of minutes without seeing it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23308 on: March 13, 2023, 08:40:44 pm »

For fun an Insane AI mod :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=200&v=IO2UcQYStNg
while the 2 first attempts were just insta death, the 3rd attempt was sure something

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23309 on: March 14, 2023, 03:25:24 am »

I broke a beehive, and was stung to death by the contents.

Minecraft
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 ... 1575