Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 [1553] 1554 1555 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376591 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23280 on: February 17, 2023, 12:50:47 am »

Yeah AM is not the mid-tier map, on the new one the third tier of enemies has been replaced with juggernauts. Building 21 is definitely the hard one given the close quarters and sheer lethality of the AI.

Fighting level 2s can be lethal if there's a lot, level 3s are very, very dangerous just because they will drain away all your ammo really quickly and are hard to kill with some guns. Apparently they also nerfed the AI's accuracy this patch, too, to reduce the "whoops that guy just magdumped thirty rounds straight into your head without a miss" thing they'd sometimes pull.

Game's been too unstable for me to really play since the update dropped, servers keep dropping my connection probably because they're overloaded.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23281 on: February 18, 2023, 08:58:48 am »

The issue seems to be that they managed to utterly fuck AI spawns. They finally acknowledged that there's an issue with it after everyone was bitching.

The moment you kill the bots in an area a helicopter or two will drop off more. The moment the majority of those are dead, another one or two arrive. Repeat unto eternity. Hopefully there'll be a fix out soon enough.

EDIT: Playing the USA. Encountered two issues with the civil war:
1) Despite having half my population, the CSA could pull up an equal number of troops.2) I won the war with the help of Britain. And rather than annex the CSA, the game went "Right, job's a good 'un. They can hang around since you won"

Victoria 3

EDIT2: Gave up on the US game due to bugs, tried unifying Ethiopia.

First war, fine. Second war another nation got involved. No problem says I, I can deal with that if I get an ally to temporarily delay them.

Nope, I won the first battle then, for literally no reason, started getting utterly flattened which lasted long enough for the opponent to get rid of my ally. They start invading me via my undefended frontline and THEN I start winning the battles again despite nothing changing, which is great!

Except after the AI captures a bit of my territory, my army just disappears. Vanishes completely. It's still there on paper, but the game's treating it like it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:35:05 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23282 on: February 18, 2023, 03:48:41 pm »

The issue seems to be that they managed to utterly fuck AI spawns. They finally acknowledged that there's an issue with it after everyone was bitching.

The moment you kill the bots in an area a helicopter or two will drop off more. The moment the majority of those are dead, another one or two arrive. Repeat unto eternity. Hopefully there'll be a fix out soon enough.

EDIT: Playing the USA. Encountered two issues with the civil war:
1) Despite having half my population, the CSA could pull up an equal number of troops.2) I won the war with the help of Britain. And rather than annex the CSA, the game went "Right, job's a good 'un. They can hang around since you won"

Victoria 3

EDIT2: Gave up on the US game due to bugs, tried unifying Ethiopia.

First war, fine. Second war another nation got involved. No problem says I, I can deal with that if I get an ally to temporarily delay them.

Nope, I won the first battle then, for literally no reason, started getting utterly flattened which lasted long enough for the opponent to get rid of my ally. They start invading me via my undefended frontline and THEN I start winning the battles again despite nothing changing, which is great!

Except after the AI captures a bit of my territory, my army just disappears. Vanishes completely. It's still there on paper, but the game's treating it like it doesn't exist.

Now that's quality gaming.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23283 on: February 20, 2023, 05:25:01 pm »

I have discovered a teeny tiny little unfairness in the AI.

They will literally lose a war to ensure that they fight you.

I've been trying to invade Hedjaz, and waited for Egypt to be in a war with the Ottomans. The opportunity came and I pressed war.

As soon as I did that, the Egyptians moved every. Last. Division onto that front. They left themselves open to be stomped by the Ottomans (The only forces left were a tiny French force) EXCLUSIVELY to stop me from being able to take their ally's lands.

Victoria 3

EDIT: Gave up on that, my economy, for no apparent reason, utterly tanked and refused to recover. Didn't matter how much cheating I did, didn't matter how much relieving of debt, forcing the AI to let me enter markets, whatever. Economy died, tax revenue dried up, for some utterly unknown reason my infrastructure straight up collapsed (Which would make sense if all my railways were going bankrupt... but I didn't have any railways. Just had a sudden collapse of some ~25% of my infrastructure, compounding the whole economy-in-the-shitter issue) so on and so forth.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:15:54 pm by Great Order »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23284 on: February 20, 2023, 10:07:25 pm »

It appears that not buying Victoria 3 is the greatest decision I made.

It's kinda hilarious to go onto the Steam page, see them start out with all those high ratings, then look over at that "mixed" review steam score...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23285 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:55 am »

In part it's that a lot of systems are convoluted, but I'm still confused about the infrastructure collapse. There's a base level, modified by population (capped by infrastructure techs), plus infrastructure from rails, modified by province modifiers and state decrees, and finally the rural folk interest group has +10% when they're at +10 happiness.

No modifiers changed because those are consistent, I didn't have any decrees going until the collapse (Because I was trying to rescue the economy), as I'd mentioned no rails, you can't lose techs, and the rural folk spent basically the whole game in a bad mood with me for trying to modernise my economy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23286 on: February 21, 2023, 08:59:08 am »

A game like that needs the bugs and shortcuts buffed out with a few healthy patches.

And then there's the precedent of CKIII, which wasnt/isnt bad per se ....
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23287 on: February 21, 2023, 10:16:17 am »

Honestly CKIII just needs more adding to it. Not even features, just events and such, though a few more location-based mechanics wouldn't go amiss. That's the advantage that CKII has, it's got a long history of added flavour that III has yet to receive.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23288 on: February 21, 2023, 05:55:01 pm »

I sailed to Albacore Town.

I then spent the next day shoving my boat out of the shoals of Albacore Town.

You either never sail to Albacore Town, or you sail once to Albacore Town. You'll never sail there twice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23289 on: February 21, 2023, 06:30:47 pm »

Wally's fucking Ralts.

It used double team 6 times, maxing out its evasion, and due to the way the game treats evasion/accuracy, out of 20 attacks THREE hit. Meanwhile, I decided to do the same after a bit and his Ralts had a 50/50 chance of hitting me after I'd maxed out mine.

Stupid cheaty 'mons.

Pokemon Emerald

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23290 on: February 23, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »

Ancient spirit that is somehow classified as human: Do you want to respec, Chosen One?
I: No, i want your staff, and i'm not a Chosen One.
Ancient spirit that is somehow classified as human: Die, then.
I: *Dies, loads, dies again ad nauseam*

1. To dodge his first attack, you probably have to start walking before the dialogue ends properly. Not rolling - dialogue makes Geralt sheathe his sword.
2. Once hit few times, spirit turns invincible summons two gargoyles, which kill you in few lighting-fast strikes. With some monsters I can barely see that attack has been made in first place. Gargoyles are one of those.
3. Fight is going on in a rather small room, with some unconvenient pieces of columns strewn about. Spirit also knocks you back if roll into him while he is invincible.
4. Managed to kill gargoyles and turn spirit vulnerable? Congrats, now do it few more times.
5. This is seemingly only fight in entire game where you actually have to change swords midcombat.
All in all, bullshit encounter in tight space. >:(

Witcher 2

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23291 on: February 23, 2023, 06:55:44 pm »

Wally's fucking Ralts.

It used double team 6 times, maxing out its evasion, and due to the way the game treats evasion/accuracy, out of 20 attacks THREE hit. Meanwhile, I decided to do the same after a bit and his Ralts had a 50/50 chance of hitting me after I'd maxed out mine.

Stupid cheaty 'mons.

Pokemon Emerald

I know pokemon have different stats, and you can do various things to make sure you have ones with good stats, but it only matters for like 1 fight in each game if you aren't doing competitive matches. There's a lot of depth and interesting systems that don't matter to most people most of the time. I think a lot of the mods people create make things tougher so you actually have to interact with those systems, which is nice.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23292 on: February 23, 2023, 07:06:09 pm »

Ancient spirit that is somehow classified as human: Do you want to respec, Chosen One?
I: No, i want your staff, and i'm not a Chosen One.
Ancient spirit that is somehow classified as human: Die, then.
I: *Dies, loads, dies again ad nauseam*
That reminds me of good old Ghostbuster
Gozer:
Are you a god?

Ray Stantz:
[looks at Venkman, who nods] Err... No.

Gozer:
Then... DIIIIIIIIE! [sends the Ghostbusters sprawling with lightning bolts]

Winston Zeddmore:
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:08:27 pm by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23293 on: February 23, 2023, 07:28:13 pm »

From what little I actually know of The Witcher(played about... half of the first game), a scene like probably wouldn't be that out of place for Geralt. And then Geralt would lay some deadpan snark before proceeding to kick Gozer's ass.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23294 on: February 23, 2023, 08:01:32 pm »

Wally's fucking Ralts.

Stupid cheaty 'mons.

Pokemon Emerald

I know pokemon have different stats, and you can do various things to make sure you have ones with good stats, but it only matters for like 1 fight in each game if you aren't doing competitive matches. There's a lot of depth and interesting systems that don't matter to most people most of the time. I think a lot of the mods people create make things tougher so you actually have to interact with those systems, which is nice.
Pretty sure evasion's a standardised stat (At least in Emerald), and accuracy is determined by the skill. The game's just got a thing for giving the AI bonuses.
Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 [1553] 1554 1555 ... 1575