Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376723 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23235 on: January 16, 2023, 08:43:38 am »

It's been a long time since I played.

Long enough that I forgot just how dangerous Shocker Zombies can be (I'd even forgotten they can shoot electricity at a distance).

Melee without something to protect my character from electricity was... unwise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23236 on: January 16, 2023, 09:34:36 am »

White mice, at first there was one then there was two soon it was a wall of mice, a growing wave with no end.
I tryed to fight then to cut by way back to the exit but there was no end to the tide of white mice.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23237 on: January 16, 2023, 10:33:23 am »

I was in the Southern Village of The Swamp.
For the last half hour in the Swamp, I kept saying to myself "I gotta get out of here, we're going to die here"

Red Raider Bandits follow us into the village.  The village sentries just watch as our team gets slaughtered by them.  Nobody ever wakes up...

I was having a real fun time up until everyone died...

Unrelated: Did they remove all the Sake from the Swamp? I couldn't find a single bottle, which is weird since they have sooo much rice...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23238 on: January 16, 2023, 02:05:55 pm »

Playing Realm Grinder, and I need to collect a massive number of faction coins. Luckily I have a spell that gains some. My current scrying buff runs out, so I add the mana one instead (+2 mana per second, and also +10%) for 30 minutes. My current mana regen is now 1.054e8, and my current max is 2.25e5.

Good thing I didn't look at that at all before implementing my brilliant plan.

White mice, at first there was one then there was two soon it was a wall of mice, a growing wave with no end.
I tryed to fight then to cut by way back to the exit but there was no end to the tide of white mice.

Ugh, multiplying enemies.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23239 on: January 17, 2023, 04:07:48 pm »

Dropped a 5-star Raid Pokemon to 0HP, the game decided that no, I did not actually win, and the next turn the target knocked my Volcarona out. The time penalty for the knockout was enough to immediately lose the battle.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23240 on: January 17, 2023, 04:41:26 pm »

Impatience is the lose condition of the game, if you max it out, you lose.
However in practice its actually a good thing; high impatience lowers hostility (which *functionally* is what makes you lose) and nothing besides max impatience has any actual bad effects.

Plus, I picked up a perk that made it even better; every 2 points of impatience is 1 resolve, which at near max impatience means you get 5/6 resolve constantly. Which, is actually pretty damn huge.

My village was going superb too. I had all the building resources I needed, nobody was starving anymore, and I now had 3 types of complex foods in production to give everyone. Tools, special goods, as much money as I needed to buy all the cornerstones off the trader, like 3 tasks ready to complete to instantly lower my impatience at a moments notice, I was 100% going to win.

Except if I didn't watch my impatience enough and let it get all the way to max, thus instantly losing the game without a real warning. Whoops.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23241 on: January 18, 2023, 03:26:30 pm »

I've been looking at Arkham Horror LCG characters again on Arkhamdb, and noticed that Akachi, a mystic (spell-caster class) is allowed to take non-mystic cards that have the spell trait or occult trait.

That includes one of the most powerful seeker cards, which is also somewhat difficult to get: Archaic Glyphs. It's slightly a pain, because it starts out in one mostly-useless form, you need to play it, then use cards on it to translate it. Then you need to spend xp to get the other form. Assuming you spend the first scenario out of usually 8 translating it (it could take more, but it's not unreasonable to do the first scenario), it changes into a different type of card. This means that there are characters who can translate it, but can't use it, or could use the translated form if they could take the original form to translate it (notably Norman Withers from the Edge of the Earth campaign). One of the 3 translated forms (you can normally choose) allows you to investigate for clues with no bonus (you can also just do that as a basic action without a card), but for each 2 points you succeed by, you gain an extra clue.

Your base skill is a number between 1 and 5 (0 for one character), plus you can get maybe 1-3 more points depending on ally cards, tools, etc. in your deck, but that takes time to set up. Skill cards can also add 1-3, or up to 4 in special circumstances. A popular card adds 1 to your skill, with +1 clue if you succeed. Some assets also allow you to spend resources to increase your total skill just for a single action (you get 3 actions and 1 resource given to you/turn, but can get others in various ways). You then compare your skill to the difficulty of the test (1-5, most of the time), and pull a number out of a bag ranging from +1 to -5 (-8 on the hardest difficulty) with one that reduces your total to 0 (you fail unless the test is also zero) and add that number for your total. Most likely, you'll be prepared to use this card and get 3-4 extra clues, unless you're really built for it. There are also only a small number of clues (usually 1 or 2 per player, up to 4 players) on each location as a limit. As a further limit, it uses a charge for each attempt, and only has 3 charges.

There are 2 reasons I mentioned Akachi. First, she gains an extra charge on cards with charges when she plays them, which is an impressive +33% here. And she has access to cards to recharge it. Second: She is a mystic, not a seeker who the card is meant for. Her stat to use it is 2, which is almost as low as it goes. She also can't gain most of the cards that improve that skill/stat.

So it's a potentially great card that could possibly get you 8 actions worth of clues for 1 action (plus the action to play it, and the resources, and spending at least one scenario trying to unlock it), and there are characters who would be great with it, if only they were allowed to try it. And here is this character who can set it up amazingly but can't make it work 90% of the time, and that's hilarious to me.

So of course I'm trying to theorycraft the "best" version of her for this one stupid purpose. Because that's how deckbuilding games work (why win with a great character when you can also win with a terrible character that has no business even trying?). I'll also probably tell one of the serious players I play with.

Edit: As an explanation, I'm supposed to be spending this week building 2 good characters for the new campaign starting this weekend. I have one that works well enough (Kymani, a challenging character with a base 5 in what is normally a dump stat; characters have like 12-13 stat points total in 4 stats), and one that is just not working out. The other player has straightforward characters, so I cover the weird edge cases that get thrown into campaigns to see how you handle them. And now I can't quit thinking about this stupid unworkable build. I just saw Arcane Studies. She *can* but more investigate skill for a single test, if she can accumulate money.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:51:57 pm by Iduno »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23242 on: January 18, 2023, 07:22:14 pm »

Forced to retreat after a back-street brawl got out of hand. First, was hired by a local café maid to deal with an uneasy feeling... which turned out to be a dude taking photos up girls' skirts. Proceeded to beat several tons of crap out of him, except he pulled a massive rifle out of nowhere and... bonked me over the head with it. Despite the range advantage a rifle has over my weapon(which may or may not have been a 6"-thick hentai magazine), I was able to defeat him. Took his rifle.

The problem was, the fight also attracted the attention of every random enemy on the map, resulting in a much larger fight. Defeated the first few that showed up, but they kept coming.
Spoiler: How that works (click to show/hide)

Realized I was getting in over my head when I saw my Finnish gamer-girl café maid (sadly not*) GF getting swarmed, and my clothes' durability dropped to all 0s breaking her out. Dropped fight mode and ran. Still managed to pick up a fair amount of money and gear on the way out.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23243 on: January 19, 2023, 03:41:29 pm »

I knew I wouldn't be able to take it on but I wanted to see what the artillery platform was like.

Saved so I could reload it, and it's gonna be a frigging great battle when I'm strong enough. The platform fired two shots. The first took down my Mora's shields in one shot, the second just annihilated the Shepard that so happened to get in the way. There's about 6 Ramparts in the Remnant fleet that's defending it, which tore through my fleet despite the lack of shields through sheer weight of firepower.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23244 on: January 20, 2023, 04:51:51 pm »

I stumbled upon the spells "Square barrier" and "Spells to power". These form a well known combo that can be used to defeat the challenging boss nicknamed "squidward".

After summoning the boss, I cast square barrier. This surrounds the caster with a square of high damage particles suspended in the air. It's primary purpose is to annihilate anyone foolish enough to touch one of the 4 particle walls. Next I cast a "spark bolt" enchanted with "Spells to power". This causes the spark bolt to absorb every single particle from that square barrier in exchange for massive damage.

The boosted projectile hits squidward and he goes from 100% to 7% health (I told you it was a powerful combo). I then retreat a little to avoid his counterattack.

From my spot in the back, I conjure another square barrier around myself and wait for squidward to arrive for the finishing blow...

A magic missile flies in from offscreen and decks me. The damage is not that much, but the knock-back launches me into the particle field which vaporizes me. Well-played Squidward.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23245 on: January 21, 2023, 10:25:20 pm »

I was dying of starvation, but I'd found a deer carcass. Started a fire next to it to unthaw it since I'd need to get meat from it with my bare hands, got the carcass thawed...

And a blizzard rolled in, putting out my fire. I could have harvested it, but my temperature was dropping so fast that I'd have started freezing to death by the time I was done. No food nearby, about 1/8th of my health bar left, temperature dropping, I decided I'd run off the nearest cliff. I'm not letting the game kill me.

The Long Dark

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23246 on: January 21, 2023, 10:43:16 pm »

In space, after a few vicious raids, I was unable to keep upgrading my ship, and lost gems and a few lives to the enemy team.

Them the enemy came for my base. I was outmatched, and I escaped to try and attack them back, and farm more asteroids.

One of the enemy teams took home base and my ship exploded for the last time.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23247 on: January 21, 2023, 10:46:55 pm »

Decided to go about the furthest I could from inhabited space afte finishing the tutorial, in search of a plasma cannon blueprint.

Passed a beacon which said “danger: high” and discovered a very significant Remnant fleet which I ran away from, then got caught by, managed to have one ship escape the battle, and then get damaged to the point of loss from running out of supplies on the way back to inhabited space. I was circled by a very fast moving unknown object for a long time in hyperspace also.

I was a little sad that the game kinda “reset” me to the starting load out rather than just outright killing me, but I don’t think that’s possible.

Now I’m smuggling harvested organs for pirates.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23248 on: January 21, 2023, 11:01:26 pm »

It's been a long time since I played.

Long enough that I forgot just how dangerous Shocker Zombies can be (I'd even forgotten they can shoot electricity at a distance).

Melee without something to protect my character from electricity was... unwise.

Dont.  Theyre slower than you for a reason lol.  At least slower than a healthy character.  If you have to I suggest a wooden weapon like a wooden spear and abusing los mechanics.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:03:03 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23249 on: January 22, 2023, 01:41:53 am »

Decided to go about the furthest I could from inhabited space afte finishing the tutorial, in search of a plasma cannon blueprint.

Passed a beacon which said “danger: high” and discovered a very significant Remnant fleet which I ran away from, then got caught by, managed to have one ship escape the battle, and then get damaged to the point of loss from running out of supplies on the way back to inhabited space. I was circled by a very fast moving unknown object for a long time in hyperspace also.

I was a little sad that the game kinda “reset” me to the starting load out rather than just outright killing me, but I don’t think that’s possible.

Now I’m smuggling harvested organs for pirates.

When you die, you get given a new small fleet. And those things that circle you and drain your drive field can be interdicted.

EDIT: Lost my Paragon because, despite it having no flux and me nearly capping out, an Apogee decided to use me as cover. Apparently the AI's an absolute coward.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:21:16 pm by Great Order »
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 1575