Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1545 1546 [1547] 1548 1549 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376862 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23190 on: October 30, 2022, 02:25:23 pm »

I figure this run I've been play for the past few days is done. Kept getting attacked by the same alien warship. Every few seconds, a new group of them would beam somewhere aboard my ship. One is enough to take out one of my crew, let alone a whole fireteam. Every time I jumped away, they'd drop right on top of me.

The one time I tried to board their ship, I beamed literally right in front of dozens of them who killed me even before the screen distortion from beaming over cleared. Basically, reenacted this scene from DS9, except from the changeling's point of view.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23191 on: October 30, 2022, 02:48:56 pm »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23192 on: November 01, 2022, 05:54:24 pm »

Had an aristocratic revolution, absolutely flattened them...

And my war exhaustion hit 100 before theirs did because winning=losing?, forcing me to capitulate. And for some reason, losing a civil war means game over.

Victoria 3
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23193 on: November 20, 2022, 01:51:38 am »

Presented without any context.

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23194 on: November 20, 2022, 08:08:37 am »

The Star Gods attacked one of my bases with a craft faster than any of mine, and which could withstand all the base defenses present.

I fought them in the base, but in spite of suicide-bombing a hangar, including the secopode present, with a barell of nuke, I lost the base and only killed 12 foes. I downed more, but they were merely unconscious.

Also, as it turns out, Jim does NOT help you defend your base. He helps the enemies take it over.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23195 on: November 22, 2022, 11:41:40 pm »

Lost to the 4x strength Unbidden.

I despise the early spawn chance mechanics.  That means that if you get them early, you're short usually 30-40 years of prep time, and that makes fighting them an order of magnitude harder.  If they instead show up at endgame + 50 years as normal, you stomp them.  Not much in between.  Oh and it also means you almost always get the Unbidden.  On all crises mode, you get them first almost every time.

I was trying a xenophobic void dwellers no planet run, which means I was limited to my starting species only and habitats and ring worlds.  I was expecting it to be hard and dialed the difficulty down from 5x-10x, but still got trashed because I couldn't get my net alloy production above 600 per month even by 2430.  Each battleship lost took 3 months to replace, and I was losing 10-20 per engagement.

Each habitat can produce up to maybe 200 alloys per month if min-maxed, but by the end game you have so much trouble growing pops because of the stupid empire-wide pop growth slowdown mechanic that if you're short on alloys then it may take 20+ years to get a habitat actually producing anything meaningful.  And you suffer on consumer goods production too, so you have to waste habitats on that.  By the time I lost, I only had 11K research per month and about 560 net alloys per month.  That was despite being given a ruined matter decompressor too, which saved me tens of thousands of alloys to get to that point...

Ugh.  Guess I'll wait for the next patch and try again with a different build.

Stellaris.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23196 on: November 23, 2022, 09:03:42 am »

Was working on defending Coastline, when I get a notification that Nuclear Production Complex is under attack. Since the NPC was under threat from four or five Extreme- or Extermination-level bases, and already had a fairly high wave level, I went over to that map to oversee its defenses. After a few waves, I jumped back to Coastline to check on it, nothing had changed, and jumped back to NPC. A few seconds after jumping back, the game decided that I instantly lost Coastline, nevermind that its defenses were holding off every attack already.

EDIT: Within the first 50 turns, a group of lizardmen halberdiers attacked my only city. My only defense was one unit of spearmen with magic weapons(Alchemy trait) and a Fire Elemental I summoned. It was so early in the game, that was the only spell I could cast in that battle. They did not succeed in the defense. My capital was conquered by frigging raiders, not even an enemy wizard.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 10:18:30 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23197 on: November 27, 2022, 03:42:58 pm »

Jeez, filler fights in FE: SoV are dumb. While you play trough one route, enemies continue to spawn on the second, and they stack, potentially making battles unwinnable (until they walk apart). That horsearcher is bad enough in a narrow corridor and without 12 mages supporting him.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23198 on: December 01, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »

Discovered the hard way - and had to double check the patch notes afterwards - that drugs carried in your pockets as opposed to your backpack were invisible to police searches was in fact a (fixed) bug and not a feature. Ended up getting arrested as a result.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 03:45:15 pm by Akura »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23199 on: December 01, 2022, 05:17:40 pm »

Discovered the hard way - and had to double check the patch notes afterwards - that drugs carried in your pockets as opposed to your backpack were invisible to police searches was in fact a (fixed) bug and not a feature. Ended up getting arrested as a result.

Ugh, percentage chance things where you can't find out your chance of success are so bad.

Edit: Keep losing one or more of the 4 characters in fights at the start of Fort Triumph. For a cartoony game, it really wants to beat you. It's an interesting contrast to Mechanicus, which looks and feels hard, despite being very easy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:10:15 pm by Iduno »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23200 on: December 02, 2022, 06:02:58 pm »

Saw two sticks, thought I'd grab them quickly to add to the fire before I hop inside.

A wolf attacked me because I went over there, didn't get scared off by my rifle shot, and no matter how fast I clicked I just couldn't get the meter up and it ate me.

The Long Dark

EDIT: I spent three days harried by a wolf pack while trying to work my way out of Blackrock. Eventually I hid in a car and slowly froze to death while they circled me.

Survived two maulings by a bear too, and had the thing run into a campfire I set up which scared it off.

The Long Dark
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:24:13 am by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23201 on: December 04, 2022, 01:50:05 pm »

Did some testing for the Illusionist skill, increasing it to 9 as I was just two points short of maxing it out. Each test, I picked up 1 gram of weed and let myself get searched. Got to seven tests before the game bugged out and started arresting me for being caught during Police Hours, despite it not being past curfew. Three of those times, I got through without it being found. At least one of those the weed was in my backpack instead of my pockets.

I would surmise that each level of Illusionist adds 5% to slip drugs past a search, and that it's also bugged because it's not supposed to work on backpack drugs. What I don't know is the effects of multiple stacks of drugs, or total amount of drugs on the chance to find them. The game bugging out put a stop to the testing. Even so, what I did find out is that the skill is pretty useless overall.

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23202 on: December 05, 2022, 05:57:56 am »

Most recent video game death: Terraria. So I just figured, daytime Empress of Light run. What could happen? I had a great gun and the stardust dragon staff, plus the rod of discord with a shimmer upgrade.

It suffices to say that I only brought 30 bullets expecting the dragon staff to do the work and met a downright idiotic end. Hallow enemies kept spawning and distracting the dragon, so I tried cancelling the buff and resummoning because I forgot to bring a whip. During the time I kept resummoning the dragon I forgot to use the rod of discord and the Empress killed me.
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23203 on: December 11, 2022, 08:54:00 am »

Aliens only throw grenades when your soldiers are bunched up. And if all of your soldiers are bunched up, all aliens throw grenades at once, and then all of your soldiers die. >_>

XCOM 2

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23204 on: December 12, 2022, 02:08:52 pm »

Got absolutely wrecked by

In a moment that could either be a bug, or the game is completely trolling me, the score for the Interdimensional Defender achievement(kill 1000 enemies; I'm not quite there) increased by one. Given the game, and especially this fight, either is possible.

EDIT: May have been the fact I did enough damage to proceed to the next stage of the fight, which also scores towards the achievement.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 03:11:15 pm by Akura »
Pages: 1 ... 1545 1546 [1547] 1548 1549 ... 1575