Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377433 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22845 on: September 25, 2021, 07:51:52 pm »

Was playing Modded Stellaris. Felt like an edgy teenage atheist -which I am- so I took a Fanatic Materialist|Xenophobe route. Took the Tepui World as my homeworld because I like the aesthetic. Made my species to be polypoids(%33 reproduction penalty), smart and long living. Then choose the Mechanist origin so I could have cheap labor.

Set the habitable planet frequency way too low, lower than possible in vanilla so that they actually mattered. Started on a 400 star galaxy, then found an Antarctic World. Thougt, "Better than nothing!", colonised it, immidiately getting deficient at Consumer Goods. Ugh, fine, whatever, I'll just buy it off the market every now and then.

First contact stuff happened, and I got to know my neighbors. Ah, great, all Spiritual and Xenophile empires. My exact opposite.

Needless to say, they established a federation together and defeated me.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22846 on: September 26, 2021, 12:34:30 am »

I'm fairly certain it's not coincidence that your neighbours start opposite ethos to you

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22847 on: September 26, 2021, 02:00:02 pm »

It's basically hardcoded in, as far as I can tell. Annoying as hell.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22848 on: September 26, 2021, 04:48:44 pm »

thus scientifically proving that militarism is correct

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22849 on: September 26, 2021, 08:25:31 pm »

It's not quite that cut-and-dry, actually.

When the game is spawning empires, it spawns them all in sequence, and each empire down the line is less likely to have the ethics of the ones before it. The important part here is that the player's empire is always considered to be the first in line, so every other empire has a reduced chance to match your ethics - it's always possible, but unlikely. Pacifism also has a reduced spawning weight in general so the galaxy isn't full of people who don't want to fight eachother by default, which will matter more if you are yourself a pacifist.

So getting opposite-ethic empires spawning next to you is just shit luck, but it's somewhat engineered shit luck. :P
Black lives matter.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22850 on: September 26, 2021, 10:06:04 pm »

So getting opposite-ethic empires spawning next to you is just shit luck, but it's somewhat engineered shit luck. :P

Good news! Your paranoia is true: The universe DOES exist to screw you over!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22851 on: September 27, 2021, 02:38:59 pm »

Good news! Your paranoia is true: The universe DOES exist to screw you over!
Well yeah, no shit :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22852 on: October 01, 2021, 07:51:59 pm »

Died twice to the Taurus Demon, both times arriving in the area hurt and with only one Estus left. Third time, the room after the bridge with bomb-throwers above(immediately from the bonfire), I try to aggro one enemy and lure it out. Somehow, I drew aggro on every enemy in render distance, including the group way back near the passage to the Firelink Shrine. Surrounded, stun-locked, and attacked from three directions(front, back, and above). Died instantly, the souls and humanity I lost to the Taurus Demon gone forever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22853 on: October 01, 2021, 08:27:14 pm »

Died twice to the Taurus Demon, both times arriving in the area hurt and with only one Estus left. Third time, the room after the bridge with bomb-throwers above(immediately from the bonfire), I try to aggro one enemy and lure it out. Somehow, I drew aggro on every enemy in render distance, including the group way back near the passage to the Firelink Shrine. Surrounded, stun-locked, and attacked from three directions(front, back, and above). Died instantly, the souls and humanity I lost to the Taurus Demon gone forever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I feel your pain. It took me probably four tries starting the game over from scratch before I actually began to put a dent into it. There are a few systems that aren't explained very well, and it feels super punishing to lose souls and humanity, but after I while I just kinda... stopped worrying about the lost resources? Or maybe I changed my perspective. I stopped thinking about what I lost and just went, "Welp, hopefully won't make that mistake again."

It also feels like the game gives you enough souls in item form to progress without too much problem even if you constantly die and lose the ones you get from killing enemies.

That said, I'm not gonna sit here and try to convince you to keep trying, though. It's down to you whether you want to keep fighting your way through the game, because it will absolutely fight back every step of the way.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22854 on: October 02, 2021, 01:06:52 am »

Taurus demon is a major wall in dark souls in my opinion. If you can beat it, then you'll have a relatively easier time with the rest of the game.

With Dark Souls, I often found myself having moments where something in your head just clicks and your perspective suddenly shifts. What was once an incredibly difficult slog suddenly becomes manageable, and then trivial with a bit more practice. And this knowledge carries over to future games in the series too...

It's weird. I don't know when you'll have that moment yourself, but it saddens me to see people want to give up on one of my favorite games.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22855 on: October 02, 2021, 04:16:42 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong. I only started playing on a whim because I got burned out on what I was currently playing(Autonauts; after awhile that single music track grates). I'm not particularly angry about the soul loss; it was the few thousand I had collected between the last bonfire and the boss. As for the humanity, I don't even know how I got those humanity points anyway, as I hadn't even used any humanity items.

I'm actually confident I can beat the Taurus Demon, especially if I go in with a better health situation. The second time I was just interested in recollecting my dropped souls, the first I was being overwhelmed by regular enemies and trying to find the next bonfire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22856 on: October 02, 2021, 06:53:16 am »

... isn't the taurus demon the one you can convince to yeet itself over the side and plummet to its death? Could swear I remember there's some boss thing or another you can do that to in those games, and for whatever reason my memory's saying it's that one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22857 on: October 02, 2021, 09:57:37 am »

Yes, that happened to me on my second playthrough completely unexpectedly and it was hilarious. I believe I also had the Iron Golem commit suicide on me once.

I had my "nope out" moment when playing Demon's Souls a few years prior (got to the dragon bridge, died a couple dozen times and then decided it wasn't for me). I came back to it like a year later when they threatened to shut down the servers to try again and suddenly had it click... eventually went from dying over and over to blasting through multiple worlds without dying.

I found Dark Souls to be much more forgiving, apart from the bosses. Of course, then I played Bloodborne and it's just different enough that I hit and had to fight past the difficulty wall all over again...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22858 on: October 02, 2021, 11:28:35 am »

Truthfully, it is. Demon Souls has World Tendency, which means the more you die (while fully alive, not as a half-health spirit) in an area, the harder the area gets. And the inverse is true; killing a boss without suffering a death makes the area easier. And then there are things that only happen when a world is fully black or fully white, such as NPCs appearing or a door being open to give you access to an area with Miralda's armor in 1-1...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22859 on: October 02, 2021, 02:08:36 pm »

Why would they do that
That's the opposite of fun
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 1575