Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1518 1519 [1520] 1521 1522 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377477 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22785 on: July 01, 2021, 02:57:35 pm »

That game was so cool.  But I'm afraid that if I play it again the nostalgia googles will fall off  :-\
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22786 on: July 01, 2021, 07:17:47 pm »

Discovered that whenever Russo enters the Martial Arts Tournament, bet on him. Even when you're facing him. Made the mistake of betting on Higgins. Then it was my turn to face Russo. Guy hits like a goddamn tank.

Then again, he is perhaps the one person in Portia with the most experience in war except perhaps...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22787 on: July 02, 2021, 06:24:10 pm »

Ate a rocket from a futuristic robotic attack helicopter of sorts.

Explosions are a little funny in this game.  They're surprisingly effective, both against terminators and the player, but I've had difficulty judging or understanding blast radii.  Pipe bombs seem to have to almost land on an enemy to hurt them, but do a frankly surprising amount of damage when they do.  On the other hand, the rockets from the HK aerials are no joke and while cover is largely indestructible, it's hard to find a spot that's completely safe from their rocket barrages since the blasts seem to bleed through cover.  Realistic, but probably a bug or funky interactions with the physics engine.

HK aerials are actually just no joke in this game in general.  I didn't expect ballistic weapons to be effective against them, but was surprised to get the big "Weapon Ineffective" warning when trying to zap one with a plasma sniper rifle.  Real aircraft are pretty fragile, so I expected that to actually damage it.  Instead, if you want to down one, you have to use rockets and it takes at least 3.  1000 XP if you succeed though, so there's that.

At least they're pretty dumb and blind, which is true to canon.  You almost have to stand out in the open for 5 full seconds for one to notice you.  Shooting it on the other hand...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22788 on: July 11, 2021, 01:04:26 pm »

I'm constantly reloading saves because:

1) My guys have the intelligence of someone with nothing but a brain stem
2) The game has no idea what proportionate challenges are

I have bows and arrows, so the game sends a swarm of guys with LMGs at me. My guys are in melee range, preventing the enemy from shooting at them, so they decide to run away without me telling them to, allowing the enemy to start shooting again. They're being chased by a swarm of cows with scaria that want nothing more than to gore them, so they stop running and start fighting each other.

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22789 on: July 12, 2021, 05:33:04 am »

Trying to reach the aegis suit in the soul-like Hellpoint ... and died from jumping on a platform and getting thrown out of it by my character damned inertia

Let's think about all the situations in which my character died in Hellpoint :

- fighting a boss repeatedly until i finally manage to defeat said boss, overall probably 4% of my character deaths as you don't often have boss fights anyways.
- fighting some normal enemy/my ghost, probably 1% of my character deaths and mostly because i just forgot to heal for some reason, it's very rare though when you go past some levels (and have then leveled your health enough).
- falling to my character death from jumping on a platform due to inertia or attacking something too close and getting thrown out of a platform by your character animation : easily 95% of my character deaths. 

Yeah, basically Hellpoint major enemies aren't monsters and various type of people trying to kill you, it's falling from things :D

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22790 on: July 12, 2021, 06:19:05 am »

Had a long magic duel with a pyromancer. Rode away victorious, fell of a cliff on a horse, rolled a few hundred meters, then died.

Dovahkiin beats Dragons. Gravity beats Dovahkiin. Dragons beat gravity.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22791 on: July 12, 2021, 01:19:19 pm »

My guys: Shooting at a guy with no cover, 10+ skill, can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The enemy: Shooting at guys in cover, 0 skill (I checked, literally a 0 on the skill), popping heads like they're zits.

The game must fudge the chance to hit, this is a consistent issue I run into. If it was weather it'd affect us equally, if it was health issues or skill I'd know because I'm checking that stuff. If it was fucking *anything* other than the game fudging it, it'd either be equally as bad for both of us or I'd have some way of knowing. But no. The enemy is super accurate, my guys sometimes literally shoot at a right angle (Somehow, I'm genuinely confused about that one).

Rimworld

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22792 on: July 12, 2021, 01:54:41 pm »

Are your colonists standing next to each other? Missed shots can hit the guy next to them even if it would've been impossible to directly hit them in the first place, apparently. It's the main reason miniguns are good against swarms; they aren't going hit the guy you're aiming at, they're going to mow down everyone around that guy.

That said, I am seeing at a lot of posts about this very issue. Oddly enough, never seen it myself.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22793 on: July 12, 2021, 04:36:52 pm »

My guys: Shooting at a guy with no cover, 10+ skill, can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The enemy: Shooting at guys in cover, 0 skill (I checked, literally a 0 on the skill), popping heads like they're zits.

The game must fudge the chance to hit, this is a consistent issue I run into. If it was weather it'd affect us equally, if it was health issues or skill I'd know because I'm checking that stuff. If it was fucking *anything* other than the game fudging it, it'd either be equally as bad for both of us or I'd have some way of knowing. But no. The enemy is super accurate, my guys sometimes literally shoot at a right angle (Somehow, I'm genuinely confused about that one).

Rimworld

I hit the same dang gate I always hit, coming out of the second long straight and into the fast turn near Cronk-y-Voddy. I always feel super confident at this point in the race, about 6 minutes in, and push my luck with the downshifts and ALWAYS overcook it into that damn gate. Unlike car driving, motorcycles are heavily reliant on engine braking and it is generally better to engine brake vs. friction brake, since it helps with stability and sets you up nicely for accelerating out of the turn. However, this makes it difficult to judge the use of front / rear brakes when you are in fact forced to use them, like at the end of long straights where the bike is up to 203mph. If you're curious, this gate lurks around number 11 of the route map below:

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22794 on: July 12, 2021, 05:24:48 pm »

"Spahs sappin mah sentreh!"

"AAAAAAHHGHGH!"

...To sum it up.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22795 on: July 12, 2021, 07:32:52 pm »

Nope, I spread them out. I learned my lesson after encountering LMGs for the first time.
Got CE, got CE: Guns. Seem to run into the same issue. In fact, the firing at right angles thing only started once I had that installed.

Even the weapons are of normal/good/excellent quality, so there shouldn't be any issues there. I just have to assume that my guys are easily distracted or something.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22796 on: July 15, 2021, 04:24:20 pm »

Destroyed an EMI dynamo without alerting the mech cluster, got my guys out of the explosion radius too.

As soon as it was destroyed, they disappeared. The caravan was lost. Apparently the EMI dynamo was actually a conduit to some eldritch being and they all got sucked into the ether by it or something equally bullshit. I'm glad I learned my lesson a while back about playing on commitment mode.

Rimworld

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22797 on: July 15, 2021, 05:42:19 pm »

Was attempting to land at a planetary base. Was fumbling around my keyboard, looking for the Silent Running key, since I discovered that the cargo I bought, while legal where I bought it(in the same system), was illegal where I was selling it. Discovered that the End key, what I thought was Silent Running(it was Delete), is actually set to "Jettison everything RIGHT NOW with no confirmation and no abort". Cue several dozen tons of tobacco raining over a city where said tobacco is illegal, slapping me with a 5000Cr fine and losing about 30 times that in sales. The only good thing is that I got scanned on the way down, but with no illegal cargo nothing else happened.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22798 on: July 18, 2021, 05:32:13 pm »

Once again, the game's inability to work out an appropriate response resulted in a reload.

It dumped a mechanoid cluster *inside* my base. With a charge blaster turret and a load of scythers.

With CE charge blaster turrets are only able to be killed three ways: Guys in cataphract armour, mortars, and outranging them. And the cataphract armour isn't a guarantee. The turrets are inaccurate, but they have such a high volume and rate of fire they're guaranteed to hit several times in one volley, even at maximum range, and they can straight up decapitate you in one shot.

I had no cataphract armour, I had no weapons that could outrange it, I couldn't get inside its minimum range because of the scythers, and it had a mortar shield and I'm lacking EMP shells. And two of my five guys had mental breaks (Of course, the two with actual guns). And the countdown timer was 6 hours.

Rimworld

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22799 on: July 19, 2021, 03:45:27 pm »

Ragequit after learning the hard way that Imperial Medium Tanks apparently have their machine guns mounted on the rear of the turret, which is both incredibly stupid and infuriatingly clever. I learned this as my second-in-command gets shot dozens of times in the back by the tank as she tried to bypass it after evacuating a wounded comrade, leaving her in danger to be executed by the enemy without any chance of rescue herself. This game, along with other bullshit like magically giving ammo for units to fire more times than they should be able to in a turn and ensuring that an enemy's hitpoints stay at 2HP(not 1HP, it's always 2HP for some reason) just as it passes outside of counter-attack range, the game loves to do that.

Then I realized I hadn't saved in a while, and I pretty sure this game doesn't autosave.

Pages: 1 ... 1518 1519 [1520] 1521 1522 ... 1575