Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377502 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22755 on: May 09, 2021, 11:12:38 pm »

Democracy 3 as a form of government is kinda bullshit.

You inherit a country in a shambles, you fix 90% of its issues, but because that last remaining 10% isn't fixed people decide you're the next Hitler and you get next to no vote. There's nothing representing "Things are still bad but they're *better*", there's just "Is it bad? Y/N? If Y, vote for player party, if N, do not"

And then later I managed to fix a country mostly, wanted to extend my term limits so I could properly fix it up before retiring and my cabinet REFUSED to give me the 50 political capital for it. Everyone loved me (except patriots and religious, but they weren't represented in the cabinet) so I should have had high capital, but one of my ministerial positions, no matter who I replaced it with, hated me. Don't know if it was a bug or what. I was at 48 capital for months.

Fixed that for you!  :P

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: May 10, 2021, 09:05:03 am »

Run into a building despite a camera and turret guarding the entrance, since I had only 2 minutes left to disable the last bomb (which is a lot  ::)). Didnt expect the turret to kill me. And all I had to do was use few of the many seconds I still had hacking as I was playing a hacker. Or you know, use one of the weapons my inventory was full of as I never used them  ::)

Streets of rogue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:08:08 am by Mkok »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: May 13, 2021, 08:41:46 am »

Playing with the Galactic Armory mod. One of the things this mod adds is the Heliocide hull. Requires minimum size 1000. It also requires a ton of power generation - the one I created took over half the available space for shielded antimatter generators - and cannot use jump drives for obvious balance reasons. As the name suggests, it has an inbuilt rapid star destroyer weapon.

Sent it over to an enemy star for testing. Took a few seconds to figure out how to use the star killer. I mistakenly thought it required He-3 to power the weapon, so I added a He-3 extractor. In actually, a He-3 extractor is built in as part of the mechanism to destroy the star. Once I figured it out, the star exploded in seconds.

Why is this here, then? Because half the planets in the star system survived, including the one closest to the star. They were re-colonized in less than a minute. Worse, the planets themselves started to regenerate from the damage, which must be a mod thing, because I've never seen that in vanilla. Even worse still is that without the star, it's no longer a jump drive target. All that basically kills my strategy of colonizing half the galaxy and burning the other half.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: June 08, 2021, 05:48:17 pm »

Walked into the Cavern of the Seven Stars, the game's bonus dungeon.

Fun fact! The random encounters on the first floor are deadlier than the final boss.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22759 on: June 11, 2021, 10:11:06 am »

You know, I never had multicast and explosives and fireball mixed together until now.

and it being early in the game I stuck them there for storage.  mistakes

Noita
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: June 15, 2021, 06:56:17 pm »

I lost. My dynasty ended because the braindead dipshit AI decided my heir would get into a matrilineal marriage.

I mean, I quit early. There was no recovery. I went through four generations in about as many years, got to the guy who's heir wasn't of my house (Why can't the AI be this braindead when I'm trying to get matrilineal marriages to inherit lands? Why do they only decide to do it when it's my guys?), tried imprisoning my two non-dynasty children so I could chuck them into the prison to starve to death (and succeeded on the first point) then because everyone was upset because I had just done some tyrannical stuff and they had no good opinion modifiers from previous generations, my lands just straight up exploded into a series of liberty revolts.

I just gave up there. A century and a half of work went belly-up because the AI just decided that the -500 modifier to accepting matrilineal marriages when it's the primary heir didn't exist, seemingly just to spite me.

CK3
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:08 pm »

Still having a lot of fun with the soul-like Hellpoint, the atmosphere is really good.

After hellish amount of difficulty, i am exploring the Sohn District.
In there, while exploring i was also grinding to get enough stats points to wield the weapons i wanted to use, and after upgrading stuff, then wearing some new stylish-looking armor , i thought i was ready, after all my character was now more powerfull than he was when i managed to take down (not without some troubles) the 2nd boss.

So i entered and
Spoiler: Damn those 2 guys (click to show/hide)

Damn them to hell.

Because this fight is a 1 vs 2 bosses hell (one melee boss + one ranged boss at the same time). They utterly annihilate me without much problem, after checking a couple of videos to get some hint on how to proceed that made it seems much more easier than what i experienced, i went back, but despite i could get a few more hits this time while playing with the big pillars, the bosses strikes could still 2 shot my character at that point, utterly punishing any of my dodging miscalculation and "damn i forgot to use my healing" stupid mistakes :D .

I guess i'll need to grind a lot more and upgrade even more weapons enhancers and my stats.

Oh and as you know in Hellpoint, you drop the Axiom you're carrying where you died, or close enough (in case you fell in a hole) so you can get it back, that's great when you accumulated and sparred a lot without spending it at a breach and died a stupid accidentaly death.
But in boss room there's no escape, so when you go there just to take the axiom back you'll have to defeat the boss or die again trying (and dropping the axiom) before exiting.
So a trick if you're only trying to get the axiom back and do not feel ready to take on the boss is to choose the location where you die : as close as the entrance barrier forcefield as possible.
Because it's possible to take back the axiom from the outside when the package is on the ground close enough.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: June 16, 2021, 05:43:41 pm »

Democracy 3 as a form of government is kinda bullshit.

True. Why have an illusion of freedom of choice when most people believe what the TV tells them to believe anyway?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: June 17, 2021, 11:18:07 am »

Lowered the difficulty, but it seems that ship difficulty isn't tied to that. Or it uses wealth rather than ship strength, and as I said before my wealth is being massively inflated by something.

Have to keep reloading because I've got two plasma turrets and two laser turrets (regular sized, not cruiser or capital ship) and the game sends ships with 10 weapons and huge heatsinks at me.

Rimworld (Save Our Ship 2 for the ship-to-ship combat)
Damn, okay, I'd heard of that mod before but I never realised just how crazy it is.  :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: June 18, 2021, 12:24:07 am »

X-Piratez.

I expect a lot of crap from it, but mid year-two the Technocracy targeted one of my bases with missile strikes.  It happened to be the base I'd chosen to be my strike base, not even some economic expansion.

Let me set the stage.  A Technocracy missile strike begins with a swarm of tiny drones.  4-8 swarming over an area... which cleverly evokes a certain dread in classic X-COM fans.

It's bad news.  And sure enough, in comes the missile... two missiles??  Striking my strike base, deleting 6 buildings.  Oh yes, these are tier 3 missiles.

So long, voodoo school (and 10 precious looted hypno panels).  So long mess hall, extractors, so much infrastructure.  But... Agh, it's fine.  I'm doing okay, and I can still strike.  Not much medbay left, but things are still working.

Well they struck again in the same month, a single this time - but then again.  And again.
They bombed the shit out of my nascent strike base.  It sucked.
But I took it in stride.  Sold a lot of plastasteel and hellerium.  Began to rebuild.

Pro-note: I had been rebuilding burrows into every destroyed tile (they cheaply provide space for people/animals/items and make further construction much faster).  And I can't confirm this, but I suspect that I saved some rooms because I had burrows-underway connected to them.  (A room cut-off is simply counted as another casualty).

Okay well... next month brought more bombs.  On a different base.
Now, let me be clear- I tried my best to stop these strikes.  But I couldn't bring a single drone down with a Scarab spouting plasma-chargers!  Or a trio of hunter-killers wielding 25mm and spike missiles... not the best, I know, but I couldn't even bring down *one*!  The drones seemed unhittable.

That's where my run died, I guess.  Or my honor, I'd say, if I wasn't honest about this.
The easiest change was reducing the missile's health such that my flak defences actually worked against it.
And I would have been satisfied with that, maybe, but I kept checking.  A bit of leftover programmer in me- what happens if I made them destroy 0 buildings?

And oh joy of joys, and praise to Meridian for well-programming OpenXCOM Extended, it had a beautiful result:
Instead of deleting rooms, it launched a base defense with a hoard of Technocracy deathbots.

Extremely deadly with their plasma cannons and obscene stats.  brutal shock troops.
Tragically weak internally.  The piercing damage our laser weaponry was mostly absorbed, but enough got through.  It took a few salvoes.  Several of us died, each time.

But I had aid from the Mutant Alliance, including their heavy laser tech, and so we were victorious!
(and victorious and victorious and victorious through countless further strikes)

Still.  I had to change the game.  I failed the latest version of X-Piratez.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: June 18, 2021, 10:55:57 am »

Sorry, but I have to correct your spoiler with my own.

From what I read about the missiles, they are really annoying. Can't be shot down with planes, and if they hit, they instantly destroy buildings.
Story-wise, this makes sense. Why would the forces who rule Earth not decide to nuke you if you are threatening enough.
Gameplay-wise, it makes things mostly about luck. If you do not have sufficient defences quickly enough, which you can't guarantee, you will get nuked. Some buildings are pretty expensive, both on time and on resources. I looked on the Bootypaedia, and it seems that radars and defensive buildings have pretty high bombardment priority too, so if you get hit once, you are likely getting hit by the next one too.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: June 21, 2021, 08:05:29 pm »

From what I read about the missiles, they are really annoying. Can't be shot down with planes, and if they hit, they instantly destroy buildings.
Story-wise, this makes sense. Why would the forces who rule Earth not decide to nuke you if you are threatening enough.
I'm doubtful that the missiles can't be intercepted.  The drones which harken the mission can certainly be engaged- and shooting them down would probably disrupt the mission- but the drones are exceedingly dodgy such that I couldn't take even one down, much less the dozen of them.  And I used a Hunterkiller with valued high-accuracy pilots, but they couldn't land a hit!

I didn't try scrambling against the missiles considering how hard the scanner-drones had owned my HKs.  Maybe I should have.  They move extremely fast, though, so I suspect that being able to intercept them is an end-game thing.

But you're right that the factions-in-charge would work to shut down the X-Piratez.  That's a powerful part of the mod, actually.  They step things up when we cross certain boundaries. 
Like, interrogating their engineers.  Or breaking their high-ranking espers.  They become, as the game says, alarmed and later angry.

"We are all mutants."  The great powers must fall.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: June 21, 2021, 09:04:57 pm »

It was Fishing Day. First fish I caught, after a few awkward attempts of remembering how to fish, was an Emperor Golden Salmon. The chances for an Emperor fish are increased during Fishing Day, but it's still single-digit percentages. Then I kept screwing up every fish after that, and I reloaded the day.

After remembering one important fact about fishing - you have to use the mouse to aim at the fish in order to reduce line tension - I caught a large number of fish, including another Emperor Golden Salmon and a King Goliath. In fact, at least 2/3rds of what I caught were Goliaths, massive fish that are very hard to reel in. I ran out of caterpillars as bait just before the event ended...

And then I realized I never actually entered the fishing contest. I had been standing there reeling in fish after fish like an idiot for no reason or benefit(except a pile of fish).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:09 pm »

I didnt die myself, but I shall pour some drams of cider for my two homies Rafmofufoofoofoubu the snapjaw Qudzu symbiot and Ruf-Mafufoufo the snajaw.  together with me since quest 1, we spent almost 10 levels together, and I was able to dominate them to spend their levels.

One used duel-maces, and one duel-axes.  Both had wings, and both specced into dodging.  Unfortunately Golgotha is a literal shitshow, and they go eaten by slimes of various viscosity.  Rip

Cave of Qud

Spoiler: me (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:01:58 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #22769 on: June 23, 2021, 11:26:08 pm »

The final boss keeps zapping me. I jump up to his head and try to play grenade basketball but I’ve never really gotten the hang of grenades in Half Life and I’ve died so many times. One time I fell into his head but I didn’t know what to do, and, predictably, died.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 1575