Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377501 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22740 on: March 29, 2021, 04:35:18 pm »

Start up a quick Scav run this morning before work. Spawn near a few hidden supply caches and luck out on a bit of fuel (worth more than literally everything else I had on me combined) and start making my way to an exit. Sadly, the only ones available were literally on the other side of the map.

Get about 2/3 of the way there and come around a corner to find a PMC coming the other way. The lousy gun I spawned with only had 10 shots in the clip, and I ran out of bullets before I could get past his armor. His gun, of course, was not so limited. I died before I could manage to reload.

I had a feeling I wasn't going to manage to get out with that fuel...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22741 on: March 30, 2021, 07:36:38 am »

Kind of grouchy about this one since it's a 'game physics' death...-- knowing I didn't have the resources to cross the full width of the surface, I drained a huge chunk of the Lava Lake into the shaft next to it and proceed to cross it.

I take an alternate route back down, avoiding the shaft, and an hour or so later, I need to revisit the area and travel up along the shaft. As I'm wondering why the bottom of the shaft is 'dry', and how far stuff renders... yep. I have a giant wave of lava crashing down on my head, cooking me.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:41:20 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22742 on: March 30, 2021, 05:01:40 pm »

Obviously if Dwarf Fortress taught us anything lava is the solution to everything.

So obviously the solution to to much lava is a sea of lava spell.  Then you would have died to the sea of lava spell and not a lake of lava suddenly getting physics applied, going out on your own terms. :P

--------------------------------------
Was going up some tower full of demons and came to a room full of colorful floating plasmas.  Some person asked me if I wanted to go to the roof.  I figured sure why not? If I can handle the mobs in the dungeon well enough I can probably handle what's at the top, the dungeon requires level 70 and I'm level 83 with a level 78 Tao Wu. Shouldn't be a big deal.

At the top was Lucifuge.  Who hit me for over 4 times my max hp with a single almighty element attack.  Back to the home point I go.

SMT ReImagine
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22743 on: March 31, 2021, 07:46:06 pm »

Kind of grouchy about this one since it's a 'game physics' death...-- knowing I didn't have the resources to cross the full width of the surface, I drained a huge chunk of the Lava Lake into the shaft next to it and proceed to cross it.

I take an alternate route back down, avoiding the shaft, and an hour or so later, I need to revisit the area and travel up along the shaft. As I'm wondering why the bottom of the shaft is 'dry', and how far stuff renders... yep. I have a giant wave of lava crashing down on my head, cooking me.

Ahahaha... this time... I did the same thing, except the drainage was accidental, and I was fleeing down the shaft from the miniboss.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22744 on: April 03, 2021, 08:26:33 pm »

Attempted to clear a bandit camp. Realized that me and my 5 militia troops were rather heavily outnumbered. I decided to attack anyway. I killed two and wounded a few others with firebolts, and then my troops and I killed the first bunch that responded to my attack. For some reason, the camp was marked as cleared after killing half of them(the tutorial for this same operation required capturing the flag as well), but at this point half my group was dead as well. More bandits attacked, and my last soldier was killed by a bandit doing some weird, possibly glitchy combo animation.

I tried to run, but then the input decided to lag, leaving me rooted to the spot as I get stabbed from behind.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22745 on: April 04, 2021, 05:12:20 pm »

I cleared every normal mode episode of Dicey Dungeons (it's a lot less luck-reliant than Slay the Spire), and fought my way to Lady Luck. I got all of the enemies to join me, including the midboss, and none died before getting to her (one had lost 1 hp).

Her attacks are crazy. Each one does enough damage to kill the weaker enemies you can bring with, unless they're specifically immune (and take 1 damage instead), and you in 2. And she gains another attack each round. I assume winning is a combination of using combinations of attacks and defenses, and knowing who it's okay to lose when.

I think I have the idea, so it would only take 1-2 more properly-played runs to beat her, but I think it's like 30 minutes or so to do that. It'll wait for another day.

Still, I'm really appreciating how much they took games like Slay the Spire, and took out a lot of the unnecessary stuff. Also, it's available on itch.io, so I don't have to deal with Valve/Steam's BS.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22746 on: April 06, 2021, 06:30:18 pm »

Found an excellent site. Obsidian as a layer stone, decent quantities of visible iron, gold, and silver. A good-sized flat area that's still in the "mountain" biome, so it's barren and free from plants. It also has a wide brook flowing by it. Plan was to set up the center of town there.

Work proceeds until summer. I've got the first part of the town hall constructed, plus a bunkhouse. An area was in the process of being cleared for farming.

Then the game crashes, about an hour of work lost.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22747 on: April 06, 2021, 06:33:06 pm »

Wait wait wait.

It sounds like you’re building rather than digging.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22748 on: April 07, 2021, 04:14:23 am »

Why all this talk about the bounty that is underground when you ignore it to build on the surface, that's forsaking your dwarven roots.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22749 on: April 23, 2021, 03:13:32 pm »

Took a while to find the dungeon with one of the major bosses, after having beat two of them already. Found it, not where I thought it'd be, and entered. And at this point in the game, the difficulty jumps hard. Enemies were at least 5 levels higher than my party. I got wiped two rooms in.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #22750 on: April 24, 2021, 12:31:29 am »

Keep getting killed as the Hacker. Not 100% as to why, but I think abuse of the hacker's abilities in front of or near police probably has something to do with it.

I'll try a more subtle approach tomorrow, I guess.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22751 on: April 28, 2021, 03:18:33 pm »

Was revisiting the Benevodons' dungeons, because for some reason after killing the most recent(Xan Bie, the Fire Benevodon), the game informed me there were only two left. ...Except that was the seventh(of eight, and the last one isn't available until the other seven are dead) Benevodon I've beaten. So, I started to redo each dungeon, in case I somehow didn't, possible due to save-state juggling or something. I really hope is wasn't Dolan.

Was going through the water dungeon, where one enemy that spawns the game can't seem to decide is called either Sword Master or Swordster. It has an attack called Hollow Slash... which does enough damage to one-shot the entire party at once. It doesn't always use it, but when it decides to you can't kill it until after it goes off.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22752 on: April 29, 2021, 06:44:08 am »

... man, after looking at that word with askance several times, I finally checked what the hell a "benevodon" is ('cause it sure as hell wasn't in the non-official localization, presumably for reasons obvious just by looking at it or saying the word out loud), and, like. Holy shit that is a worse translation than God-beast. Somehow makes my interest in playing the 3d remake even lower :-\

Sounds like you're enjoying it well enough if you've made it that far into the game, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22753 on: May 01, 2021, 01:38:35 pm »

Save Our Ships 2 is brutal.

The ship-ship fights are supposed to scale to your power. First ship I faced with my current game had one third my heat capacity but had two fully fuelled emergency heat purgers, which meant their shields were basically impenetrable because every time their shields got close to breaking, they just dropped their heat to zero and had their shields back up instantly.

And there's only so much my shields could take before my heat capacity was reached.

So I lost that fight because the mod's idea of "fair" is "Fuck you, die now"

Rimworld

EDIT: This time a torpedo frigate.

Turns out torpedo frigates will board you with 6 guys in heavy armour while you have three in NO armour, they'll spam you with torpedoes, and in spite of the name their main armament is, in fact, a metric shitload of every other turret.
Once again I'm baffled how the game justifies this as "fair"
EDIT2: Yeah, it's torpedo frigates. 10 guns and 6 torpedo tubes combined with boarding. You can't purge heat without being hit by a swarm of torpedoes since they spam them constantly and seem to have limitless ammo reserves, they overload your heat banks stupidly fast because of the constant shooting, then they board you.

I actually did a decent job fighting this one off until the boarding. Everything was going fine. Then my melee guy decided to run to cover due to being suppressed. What was suppressing her? Fucked if I know, there weren't any shots near her. Since she got out of melee range to dive for the unnecessary cover, the guy she was fighting proceeded to blow her spleen out of her torso with a shotgun round.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:38:01 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22754 on: May 09, 2021, 09:32:22 pm »

Democracy 3 is kinda bullshit.

You inherit a country in a shambles, you fix 90% of its issues, but because that last remaining 10% isn't fixed people decide you're the next Hitler and you get next to no vote. There's nothing representing "Things are still bad but they're *better*", there's just "Is it bad? Y/N? If Y, vote for player party, if N, do not"

And then later I managed to fix a country mostly, wanted to extend my term limits so I could properly fix it up before retiring and my cabinet REFUSED to give me the 50 political capital for it. Everyone loved me (except patriots and religious, but they weren't represented in the cabinet) so I should have had high capital, but one of my ministerial positions, no matter who I replaced it with, hated me. Don't know if it was a bug or what. I was at 48 capital for months.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 1575