Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 [1511] 1512 1513 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2378607 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22650 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:56 am »

I'm beginning to wonder if a mod I've got installed has a hidden "feature" of ambushes or something, because the game definitely doesn't seem to always tell me about all the raid points, which is causing me some issues.

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22651 on: January 15, 2021, 11:58:35 am »

Why is that when people talk about mega man, nobody ever talks about mega man X. There were some great games in that side series.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I actually prefer Mega Man X to the original series and the first four games of that series are among my favorite games of all time.  I've played them so much that they're all pretty easy to me now, but overall I would still rate the X games as fairly hard.  I've seen people say that the X games are harder than the original series, which I strongly disagree with, but they're not easy without a lot of practice.

The real problem with talking about the X games, of course, is that every game after X4 has been mediocre at best (X5 and X8) down to outright abysmal (X6 and X7), so Capcom stopped making X games and there isn't anything recent to talk about.  Except that fairly new game where X can carry a gun, the navigators have jiggle physics and the bosses are massive damage sponges, but I don't really want to think about it.  Don't even remember the platform or name of it.

Actually, Maverick Hunter X was pretty good, but largely because it was a remaster of the first.  I'd have liked to see a continuation of the series, but sales were poor, so...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22652 on: January 15, 2021, 12:20:28 pm »

So long story short, X was good until it jumped the shark, while classic mega man was abandoned on a high note. There are more positive feelings associated with the latter than the former.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22653 on: January 15, 2021, 12:53:46 pm »

Essentially, yeah.  One thing I'd say though, which is getting a bit off topic I suppose, is that the X series didn't jump the shark so much as get shafted by Capcom.

They pretty clearly cut the budget for X5 compared to X4 on top of making some questionable design decisions like the annoying navigator messages in levels and random outcomes from the story events.  X6 saw the budget cut to shoe strings with not even the most thin veneer of explanation of how the story continued on from X5, and the level design felt outright hostile to pad the game out.

X7 is one I might be a bit more forgiving about jumping the shark, since it was a significant change in the formula with the transition to 3D, and they went back to voiced and animated cinematics so I can't claim the budget was cut too badly.  They just... did a very bad job with the gameplay.

X8 fixed a lot of its issues, but I guess after the series had suffered so many bad games nothing could really save it.  X8 wasn't great by any stretch either, but it was like night and day compared to X6 and X7.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22654 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »

I agree. X1 to X4 were great and it starts getting really questionable after that. I still can't beat X6 because of how terrible the levels are.

And the random story results in X5 piss the shit out of me.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22655 on: January 16, 2021, 12:54:28 pm »

Dumb build can and wiil be changed with soul vessel, but wrong hair color will vex me forever.  ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22656 on: January 16, 2021, 03:23:50 pm »

Touched a large gear-and-skull themed UFO with a crazy haired old man inside.

Well, after my whining earlier, I managed to beat Mega Man 11 in about 3 more hours of work.  It seems like Block Man and Acid Man were maybe the two worst robot masters to pick first, since the rest of the game was relatively doable.  Impact Man's stage was really frustrating too, as my third pick, but after that it wasn't terrible.  I guess it really was a matter of just getting good, considering the first 2-3 levels I played were the hardest.

Wily took a while to beat because I ran out of E tanks and it's hard to farm bolts in his fortress, but I finally got good enough to do it without an E tank.

Ultimately, the game really did come down to learning how to use speed gear effectively and efficiently, which made it harder than I'd have liked.  Once I mostly got the hang of that it wasn't terrible, but the level design did remind me of the hostility of X6's level design at times.  There are a lot more instant death hazards like pits and spikes than I remember in any other mainline Mega Man game.  I guess the level designers assumed speed gear made up for it, which... it only kind of does.

Funnily enough, I almost never used power gear.  The fact that you have to start over with charging your buster when you switch to it, and that it competes with the much more important speed gear meant I almost never touched it.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22657 on: January 17, 2021, 12:10:13 am »

Systematically cleared out the beginner dungeon with cautious organization of engagement and looting, feeling confident as I stepped outside only to be surrounded by field of suddenly much more powerful monsters I had no chance of addressing with remaining gear.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22658 on: January 22, 2021, 06:52:36 pm »

Lasted 43 days. The giant demon snake on my map decided to wake up. Managed to take out about 2/3rd's of its qi before my puppy died and it just rolled over everyone else, despite the puppy having twice as much qi. The strongest(and only) inner I can bring against it is about halfway through qi-shaping and is poorly built, the beast is core-shaping, probably close to golden core.

The only reason I was even able to take that much off it was because I thought to give everyone spiritstone bows, which deal qi damage(and sell for considerably more than the material cost).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22659 on: January 23, 2021, 12:09:22 pm »

Middle-Earth:Shadow of War

I was doing a vendetta, and got shot down twice by an elite crossbow enemy (who I recruited). Then the enemy I came to kill finished me off while I was stuck on a ledge I couldn't escape (the game is a wee bit buggy sometimes).

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22660 on: January 24, 2021, 04:42:56 pm »

Dumb build can and wiil be changed with soul vessel, but wrong hair color will vex me forever.  ::)

If you're willing to engage with that sort of thing, you can probably change your appearance with a cheat engine / save game editor (while offline, of course) and get rid of it right after.
Black lives matter.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22661 on: January 25, 2021, 04:21:37 am »

Eh, not gonna bother. Besides, i pretty much dropped the game again already.  :P

On related note, i'm once again wrestling with the game that is no game. It's an inherently futile thing to do, i do recommend. Subject is touhou mods. Here how the dudettes look on mod page. It's almost enough to suspect that modder photoshopped photos of japanese cosplayers onto pictures.
In case someone doesn't know, here is how dudettes look in normal game:
If possible, I recommend masks. Masks for everyone. Because g'damn. S'like those freaky ceramic doll things, just somehow uglier and more unsettling :-\

Comedy/tragedy masks or something would make everything better.
Mods? Slider screens? No? Yeah, i would never.  :-X

Edit: Tough luck finding full masks. Japanese foxie masks are either deleted or for other games, probably also deleted.  ::)

Edit2: I have taken an alternative approach of digging trough simsresource's detritus, hoping to find a decent face, if not fitting one. It was turned into even more ordurous ordeal than it needs to be by sims launcher. A program for moving a file from one folder to another [citation needed] that actually takes as much time and resources to launch as game itself. 30 minutes just to install a bunch of hair and skin and premade sim mods and see if they work at all? Easy-peasy. And then they don't, because i downloaded a wrong one.
At least i found a marvellous and unmodded thing there. Behold, best premade sim in 35 pages out of 200-something!
Oh, and this here korean gurl. Mind moving a bit to the east, matey?  :P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:47:17 am by MCreeper »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22662 on: January 26, 2021, 05:43:17 pm »

Bit fed up of losing interest by the endgame, so I set the mid and endgame to half their normal values.

I even stoked an AI rebellion for funsies.

I didn't rely on the militant isolationist fallen empire to wake up and decide that they didn't want me to become a thrall. I also didn't rely on the game deciding that I'm not allowed to surrender to them when they declare war on me to make me a thrall. I ALSO didn't rely on that counting as total war until I'm forced to surrender.

They had a fleet about 8x the strength of mine (And, being an awakened empire, they'd just keep pumping out more ships) and I was still recovering from the rebellion. I didn't even bother continuing once I realised that I'd lose virtually my entire empire. I'm fine with losing a war, I'm not fine with the game going "Ah fuck you, you *have* to lose nearly/all of your empire now because you're not allowed to just *become* a thrall"

Stellaris.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22663 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:24 pm »

What did the surrender option do?  Give all of your systems to the other empire and immediately cause you to lose?

Stellaris has a lot of strange behavior with war.  Two of my biggest pet peeves are the inability to tell allies to end a war if they're the primary empire on your side, and the fact that you can't release sectors as vassals while at war.

The latter one is probably to avoid an exploit, but it's a major pain in the butt when I get dragged into a total war like that and conquer a bunch of terribly managed alien planets that I'd like to offload immediately.  But no, I have to wait for war exhaustion to tick up to 100% on both sides because my allies never want to settle status quo, and I can't ask them to do it (despite the fact that the tooltip says that all allies would vote to end the war...).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22664 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:06 pm »

I can't surrender. It's greyed out.