Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1477 1478 [1479] 1480 1481 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373100 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22170 on: February 21, 2020, 09:45:08 am »

Killed by the smiling, blobby manifestation of chaos in Kirby Star Allies.  Soul Melter mode in The Ultimate Choice is no joke.

I was a bit surprised I even made it to the boss on my first try, and even managed to get it to less than half health, but there was no way I'd win on my first try.  The main thing that sucks about this fight is that it's a marathon of multiple phases, so it takes forever to get back to that point if / when you die.

I'm also trying to figure out what the best team is for this.  In my experience, Magolor seems to be the best character in general because he has a good mix of abilities that do a lot of damage.  It's kind of cheesy, but that attempt where I almost made it consisted of me playing as Magolor with 3 Magolor buddies...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22171 on: February 21, 2020, 09:06:47 pm »

Realized that I had been reloading bolt-action rifles incorrectly the entire time. Previously, I had been holding the gun sideways and pulling the bolt with my left hand. I realized I can keep holding the gun with my left hand and pulling the bolt back with my right(taking my hand off the trigger). It's a bit faster and a bit smoother of a process.

While I was trying to figure all this out, ended up losing the match.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I check the population statistics and discover that more than half my entire population are toddlers(age 0-6), half what's left are schoolchildren, and about half of the working population won't because a lack of kindergartens for the little bastards. Each kindergarten will take at most about 80 toddlers, but only when fully staffed. I only had one. And all these kids came about in the span of about 6 months.

That sounds like so many fortresses. Did the children also complain about lack of booze, because they had already drank it all?

Actually, I haven't built a single pub. I think by now the vast majority of people have gone without booze that they just aren't bothering demanding any.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22172 on: February 21, 2020, 09:17:15 pm »

Realized that I had been reloading bolt-action rifles incorrectly the entire time. Previously, I had been holding the gun sideways and pulling the bolt with my left hand. I realized I can keep holding the gun with my left hand and pulling the bolt back with my right(taking my hand off the trigger). It's a bit faster and a bit smoother of a process.

While I was trying to figure all this out, ended up losing the match.

We used to use bolt action 22s at a summer camp of mine, and I think I recall an insistance that you reload with the hand you pull the trigger with, because of  the inevitability of catching your fingers in the bolt mechanism otherwise :o

Most people seem to be a righty anyway though.  Its kind of weird for me to think about since its similar to a sword and shield:  I almost prefer to use my right hand to hold the shield since it is my stronger hand.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22173 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:56 am »

And then you had us in the Norwegian army, who had it drilled into our heads that under absolutely no circumstances were we to take our trigger hand off the weapon, so since our blanks were too low-powered to actually cycle the gun we had to awkwardly squinch our left hand over to pull the ambidextrous bolt back each time.

It's amazing what muscles can be trained and strengthened if your sarge just yells at you enough.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22174 on: February 22, 2020, 05:44:49 am »

Most people seem to be a righty anyway though.  Its kind of weird for me to think about since its similar to a sword and shield:  I almost prefer to use my right hand to hold the shield since it is my stronger hand.

It's a little weird for me, since in real life I'm left-handed for a number of task that do with my right in VR. For a sword and shield, do use the shield in my left in both meatspace and VR, but for different reasons - for reality I'm going to be using the shield more, in VR the sword.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22175 on: February 23, 2020, 12:48:49 am »

I confront the High Priest for the... second (third?) time ever. I have one heart left.

Battle is going perfectly-- I've got his attack pattern down, good cover, and plenty of ammo. Then my phone rings, and it's somebody with a 'priority' ringtone. Sigh. Pause.

After unpausing, I fail to see a shot behind me, and I back up into it. Half a heart left. Okay, this is still perfectly doable; I did the first 3/4ths without taking a hit and that one was because of a distraction.

The boss is down-- time to check out the loot!

...Oh. Huh. Didn't know the bosses could drop a mimic.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22176 on: February 23, 2020, 12:57:08 am »

My two fighters die, and at 6th level they're way too expensive to raise. It's okay, I have a backup party, I'll just grind until I can raise them.

Then I accidentally mash through some encounters, end up killing a "friendly" party and all my good characters turn evil. Good characters, like my dead fighters, can't adventure with evil ones.

I guess the backup party is my main party now. I hope BILBONATR and DERV weren't carrying anything important. I wish I could take their gold and items back without raising them first...

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22177 on: February 23, 2020, 01:08:39 pm »

I tried to use Nexus for mods. I reset my password, then had to change my new password to be at least 12 characters, then reactivated my account, now I have to re-change my password again.

What's the best alternative?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22178 on: February 23, 2020, 02:35:57 pm »

I tried to use Nexus for mods. I reset my password, then had to change my new password to be at least 12 characters, then reactivated my account, now I have to re-change my password again.

What's the best alternative?

Had the exact same experience when I started using mods for Blade & Sorcery. ...And I think I just forgot my password again. Plus, why the hell do they not have a "Remember Me" option that pretty much every other website has?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22179 on: February 23, 2020, 02:51:32 pm »

That sounds like what I have to go through for one of my work accounts... The password has to be between 8 and 12 characters, must have at least one number and one capital, must have at least one symbol but can't have special characters (it actually gives a specific list of like eight characters that are viable), can't have three or more of the same number or letter, can't have three or more sequential numbers, can't have 'common' strings of over three characters like "asd" or "qwe", can't reuse the same password within 3 years or 20 previous passwords, and you need to change it every three months. On top of all that, the site is coded such that it erases the entire password entry box if you hit backspace, blocks password vaults, locks your account after three attempts (and you need to call in during business hours to unlock it... thankfully, a online automated password reset can be done if it hasn't gotten locked yet), and, obviously, has no stay-logged-in function (and a 10 minute logout timer...).

I admit it, I have an index card with my password jammed into my monitor frame, and the label on my bookmark is the password.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22180 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:54 pm »

It seems they are trying to protect passwords by making employees unable to reveal them. After all, you can not reveal something you can not remember.

Silly thing is combining change every 3 months with lockdown on third attempt. The lockdown prevents bruteforcing the password, so there is little need for changing it often. That is, unless some process that happens every 3 months has a tendency to reveal passwords.

I believe there are 5 ways to get a person's password.
A) Bruteforce it by trying every valid combination of characters. This can be stopped by locking accounts down after a set amount of failed attempts.
B) Guess based on your knowledge of the person, or common passwords. Again, locking accounts down discourages this. So does forcing minimal amount of numbers and such.
C) Force the person to tell you the password.
D) Get the password from the system itself by already having access.
E) If the person themselves can not remember the password, find where they wrote it down.

Allow too simple passwords and B will be easy. Force too hard passwords and E becomes inevitable.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22181 on: February 23, 2020, 07:33:15 pm »

That sounds like what I have to go through for one of my work accounts... The password has to be between 8 and 12 characters, must have at least one number and one capital, must have at least one symbol but can't have special characters (it actually gives a specific list of like eight characters that are viable), can't have three or more of the same number or letter, can't have three or more sequential numbers, can't have 'common' strings of over three characters like "asd" or "qwe", can't reuse the same password within 3 years or 20 previous passwords, and you need to change it every three months. On top of all that, the site is coded such that it erases the entire password entry box if you hit backspace, blocks password vaults, locks your account after three attempts (and you need to call in during business hours to unlock it... thankfully, a online automated password reset can be done if it hasn't gotten locked yet), and, obviously, has no stay-logged-in function (and a 10 minute logout timer...).

I admit it, I have an index card with my password jammed into my monitor frame, and the label on my bookmark is the password.

My favorite was a PIN (short password) that required exactly 4 characters, required upper and lowercase letters, a number, and a symbol. I assume they figured out it isn't secure that everyone had their initials (capital first, lowercase lase), the number 1, and an exclamation point.

Also, passwords that need to be changed monthly aren't secure. I store mine on my calendar, but everyone I work with has theirs listed somewhere.

E) If the person themselves can not remember the password, find where they wrote it down.

Allow too simple passwords and B will be easy. Force too hard passwords and E becomes inevitable.

There's a post-it note on the screen. If not, they hid it in a drawer or under the keyboard.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22182 on: February 23, 2020, 11:11:28 pm »

There was nothing of note on Level 2 that I could find, so I moved on to Level 3 via the staircase.

During my preliminary wandering, I fell down a pit. Ouch.

Then, while trying to get my bearings, I fell down another pit. HealMcge, my cleric, is dead.

Then I stumbled on a group of ninjas.

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to start totally from scratch...

Wizardry 1
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22183 on: February 24, 2020, 04:54:39 am »

My last loss (It was not I that died) was when playing with my family.

We were winning the scenario and pushing the orcs back. In fact, I estimated that we will win within 2 turns.
Suddenly Magnus (one of the main characters, recruiter for humans) got killed by an orcish bowman and we lost.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22184 on: February 24, 2020, 07:43:57 pm »

I don't really know why I had the urge to play this again. Get one-shotted EVERY GODDAMN TIME. Took a hit to the back of my track, somehow the pieces of the track shredded my crew. Ammunition explosion, despite not being hit anywhere near the ammo stores(nor did the spalling). Meanwhile, I struggle to find a spot where I can attempt to penetrate, during which of course they immediately kill me.

Pages: 1 ... 1477 1478 [1479] 1480 1481 ... 1575