Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376601 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20760 on: October 15, 2018, 01:29:24 pm »

For the actual moving pile of rock, a good strategy is to get a sledgehammer and spin around on top of the monster's head. :3

For the guardians, all you need is a pot lid and perfect timing.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20761 on: October 15, 2018, 01:34:14 pm »

...I forgot about the reflection trick. I'm no good at it, so I just aim for the glowing weakpoint.

Anyway, I was trying not to spoil stuff, but yes, the hammer trick works extremely well.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20762 on: October 15, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »

The piano intro of doom when you encounter guardians is excellent.  And it's very satisfying much later in the game when you can get revenge semi reliably.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20763 on: October 16, 2018, 12:02:04 am »

So, I'm doing the personal quest of Russel, a companion created by Someguy2000 (Speaking of which, does that guy actually do anything anymore, or has he quit modding entirely? He still does things like friend people on Nexus but there hasn't been a mod posted in a few years.).

Now, part of this personal quest involves fighting three Legion enemies. The big boi of the trio introduces himeslf by sending his slave over with a message. Just after the slave finishes delivering it, he collapses. Russel shouts something about bombs in the slave's guts.

Problem is, I'd set up C4 charges in the events leading up to the slave's introducing me, and I was too surprised to sprint the hell away.

Subsequent deaths involved fighting the Legion Three and dying because I tried to shoot them only to discover they were way too tough for just that to work.

Also, Russel tried to fight them in melee and kept dying.

Instead, I placed the 3 C4 charges I had left in front of the area I knew they were going to head into because they were going to charge straight at me after combat began.

Then I grenaded the hell out of them until they were all dead.

In a different kind of death, I tried to get Russel to carry the armor and weapons I'd looted from the Legion Three. I'd never brought him over the carry limit before, but when I hit it...

One of Russel's lines for when he can't carry any more is something along the lines of "Nope."

The other line he has? It goes something along the lines of "You ever hear of 'Overencumbered Man'? That's me."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20764 on: October 16, 2018, 01:51:29 am »

So, I'm doing the personal quest of Russel, a companion created by Someguy2000 (Speaking of which, does that guy actually do anything anymore, or has he quit modding entirely? He still does things like friend people on Nexus but there hasn't been a mod posted in a few years.).

He gave up on some of his more ambitious stuff because NV simply couldn't handle it, made The Better Angels to cap off his series and tried to move to Fallout 4 modding. I understand he eventually gave up on that in disgust and back in January said he's working on stuff for NV again.

Going through the New Vegas Bounties (and related stories) series was some of the most fun I've had in NV, so I hope it turns out well.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20765 on: October 16, 2018, 02:52:55 am »

For the guardians, all you need is a pot lid and perfect timing.
I actually never bothered to learn the timing for that one, since I found it really counter-intuitive and only ever got it out of sheer luck. Instead I just waited to get the Master Sword, which makes them pretty much safe to fight.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20766 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:25 am »

Military operators reeeeee

Prey
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20767 on: October 17, 2018, 09:35:58 am »

My cook became canibal and ate my soldier, - shortly after he died in a forest fire.
My giant tortoise and I continued the track well for several weeks,-  until I ate it.
Later I got eaten in turn by two black panthers.

Curious Expedition Rivals

(Also see my revival of the tread for the original game)  :D
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146186.0

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20768 on: October 17, 2018, 04:50:54 pm »

Someguy - creator of mods for Fallout New Vegas - doesn’t seem to like Ulysses very much.

Doc Friday from New Vegas Bounties describes him as the kind of guy who would have been thrown in a padded cell before the war, and says Ulysses was always whining.

Bad Mothafucka, from the mod of the same name, simply says one, very long “Mothafuckaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” that I think lasts indefinitely.

Finally, in The Better Angels, ranger Josey mentions running into a You-Scabies who took ten minutes to order a drink because he kept mumbling. The two got in a fight only for You-Scabies to produce a flagpole as a weapon.

Everyone laughed, and I did too, because it was then I realized this guy was Ulysses.

Fallout: New Vegas, the Better Angels.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:30:35 pm by AzyWng »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20769 on: October 19, 2018, 04:38:08 pm »

Three Pokeballs to catch a Pidgey! Three!! And the damn bird was at ~25% HP left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20770 on: October 19, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »

Oof, now just imagine trying to acquire a Tangela in the first town.  I think it honestly took a dozen balls, and that was after getting them to low HP.  Pretty much all my money.
Pokemon Crystal Clear, though a while ago.

The first mission tutorial kept telling me to cut down a tree to make a bridge so the NPC wouldn't get his feet wet.  I wondered if it could fall on me and kill me.  It did.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20771 on: October 19, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »

The first mission tutorial kept telling me to cut down a tree to make a bridge so the NPC wouldn't get his feet wet.  I wondered if it could fall on me and kill me.  It did.

Ah yes, good times, that... Just you wait until the speeder level, it's a right pain. Also make sure to obsessively save on the sandworm AKA "the floor is lava" map, because it's possible to touch necessary sinking platforms without reaching the goal, so your critical path will get destroyed and make grabbing the objective without dying significantly harder, if not impossible.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20772 on: October 19, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »

Good timing on the advice, I'm doing the sand mission right now!
I completed this game so long ago that I don't remember the individual missions at all past the tutorial.  I think I only beat it once, but my brother and I played it together several times.  We were impressed at the multiple endings - this was before we played Deus Ex, heh.

I was worried that the mechanics would fall short of my nostalgia, but it actually controls pretty well.  And the force powers are about as fun as I remembered, even at this low level!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20773 on: October 19, 2018, 06:07:13 pm »

Good timing on the advice, I'm doing the sand mission right now!
I completed this game so long ago that I don't remember the individual missions at all past the tutorial.  I think I only beat it once, but my brother and I played it together several times.  We were impressed at the multiple endings - this was before we played Deus Ex, heh.

I was worried that the mechanics would fall short of my nostalgia, but it actually controls pretty well.  And the force powers are about as fun as I remembered, even at this low level!

Fling thermal detonators to distract the sandworms. If they swallow 2 of em they die.

They can respawn tho.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20774 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:35 pm »

I tried walking without rhythm
so as not to attract the worm

She/they
Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 1575