Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376677 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20730 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »

Talked shit (to an overleveled enemy), got hit (by an overleveled enemy).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20731 on: October 08, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »

Touched Sigma too many times.  After touching Gate too many times, too many times.  After touching High Max too many times, too many times...

something something told you so

How many times did you touch spikes in that first lab segment

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: October 08, 2018, 12:53:53 pm »

Enough times to get a game over so I could switch out to the Shadow Armor.  I'm genuinely not sure how to even complete the first lab level without it.  The jumps needed don't seem possible without it.  And of course the final boss is way harder with the Shadow Armor than it would be with the Blade Armor.

The second lab segment was way worse, partly because of the stupid totem pole + bullet hell segments, but mostly because whoever designed the High Max and Gate fights should be barred from working on any more video games.

High Max didn't take as many tries as Gate, but was much more annoying in general.  Half of the time my shots, which were needed to make him vulnerable, also meant that his mercy invulnerability blocked the following special weapon shot meant to damage him.  That's during the rare moments I even had a shot at him.

Gate, while also immensely infuriating, was at least not rife with that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #20733 on: October 08, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »

Things were going good until I hit the road, whereupon the party ran into a group of overleveled bandits. I tried to compensate by having the monk and the alchemist huck bombs at them, but they both fumbled, killing the entire party with that damage.

Wizardry 8
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: October 08, 2018, 08:28:50 pm »

Yea those bandits will fuck your shit up.  At least you took the satisfaction of victory out of their hands.

Just wait til you get to the mosquitoes.  Fuck the mosquitoes.

EDIT: Just realized who you are and what your avatar is.  Clearly you know of the things.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20735 on: October 11, 2018, 03:01:30 pm »

Enough times to get a game over so I could switch out to the Shadow Armor.  I'm genuinely not sure how to even complete the first lab level without it.  The jumps needed don't seem possible without it.  And of course the final boss is way harder with the Shadow Armor than it would be with the Blade Armor.

The second lab segment was way worse, partly because of the stupid totem pole + bullet hell segments, but mostly because whoever designed the High Max and Gate fights should be barred from working on any more video games.

High Max didn't take as many tries as Gate, but was much more annoying in general.  Half of the time my shots, which were needed to make him vulnerable, also meant that his mercy invulnerability blocked the following special weapon shot meant to damage him.  That's during the rare moments I even had a shot at him.

Gate, while also immensely infuriating, was at least not rife with that.
The reason it seemed impossible was because, to my knowledge, it IS impossible unless you have a couple of extremely specific parts. This is, of course, something that the game never hints at, and can become impossible if the reploids holding those parts die. Ironically, despite the shadow armor being one of the only ways to progress through that first stage, the second stage is impossible to complete with the shadow armor because there's a part after High Max where you need to airdash under a wall which isn't something the shadow armor can do. Luckily you can also clear this segment with the shadow armor using those same jump upgrade parts from before, which is what I did, but even then it's a pain in the ass because of the incredibly precise timing required.

MMX6 is well designed

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20736 on: October 11, 2018, 10:50:53 pm »

I've cleared the entire map, save for the tiny power generator room in the heart of the UFO. I've taken a few hits, mainly because the mission opened with four different people firing on an alien in the open, and every single one of them instead firing six feet to the left and hitting my shieldbearer, but otherwise it's been a pretty simple mission. A couple satchel charges opened up a nice firing lane on the UFO door, my now-injured and unarmed shieldbearer repeatedly opened the door, and my assembled hordes unloaded their guns into the room until everything stopped moving, save a single alien that retreated to the power core.

I then moved my troops into the main room of the UFO, preparing to rush the final room. As I'm getting ready, the last alien sticks his head out...

...and my machine gunner in the back unloads his reaction fire, killing the alien and two of my own troops in the process.

From now on, my gunners are going to face away from the door, out of fear they might see red and mow down friendlies. Or better yet, they can stand outside the UFO and think about what they've done!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20737 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:37 am »

One thing that was drilled into us in the army was a handy little rule of thumb regarding positioning: Do not fire if there's a friendly target within 45 degrees of your weapon's muzzle. That's a no-no.

I find placing the more myopic Xenorookies in such a way to be advantageous.

As an aside, do you give your green grunts pistols or shotguns? Near as I could tell, there's no good reason to give non-sharpshooters an assault rifle.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: October 12, 2018, 09:52:14 am »

Ironically, despite the shadow armor being one of the only ways to progress through that first stage, the second stage is impossible to complete with the shadow armor because there's a part after High Max where you need to airdash under a wall which isn't something the shadow armor can do.

Ah yes, I discovered this the hard way many, many years ago when I first played this game.  Yes, that's right, I have suffered through this before, but like a trauma victim I managed to block it all out of my mind until I came back to replay it in the legacy collection.

It's pretty amazing, in a way.  The second Gate lab is suffering, plain and simple.  You can suffer through it, somehow manage to beat High Max with the Shadow Armor (I can't actually remember how you'd do this without special weapons unless the saber counts), only to discover that you must exit and redo the stage because the developers didn't want to make it too easy by letting you use the nerfed gimmick armor specifically designed to bypass the BS they filled the game with.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they just put that there because, "Hey, the Blade Armor has this cool mach dash thing we put into the game and we want you to use it somewhere!"  It's not even malice but incompetence.

Quote from: IronTomato
MMX6 is well designed

It's like modern art, in a way.  The more you look at and experience it, the more questions you have.  Questions you'll never get answers to because I'm pretty sure the devs themselves don't know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »

Ironically, despite the shadow armor being one of the only ways to progress through that first stage, the second stage is impossible to complete with the shadow armor because there's a part after High Max where you need to airdash under a wall which isn't something the shadow armor can do.

Ah yes, I discovered this the hard way many, many years ago when I first played this game.  Yes, that's right, I have suffered through this before, but like a trauma victim I managed to block it all out of my mind until I came back to replay it in the legacy collection.

It's pretty amazing, in a way.  The second Gate lab is suffering, plain and simple.  You can suffer through it, somehow manage to beat High Max with the Shadow Armor (I can't actually remember how you'd do this without special weapons unless the saber counts)
The saber does indeed count. Also, the giga attack does a shitton of damage, which is the only reason I was able to beat High Max and so many of the other bosses with it, since every other attack the armor has does so little damage. If the giga attack didn't charge as quickly as it does I'm not sure what I would have done.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20740 on: October 12, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »

I've been leaving them with assault rifles. Pistols just feel pathetic (outside of the hands of a riot shielder), and shotguns just feel terrible on low-TU recruits. Plus, if you don't have decent long-ranged weapons, you can't set up a proper firing line on the UFO doors!

My current early-game build is one shield to take the lead and soak up fire, one assault to clear the inner room of UFOs, one heavy to gun things down, one sniper to fill space and do nothing (most of the time), and four rifles, two with rockets and satchel charges for those maps where you have to level a building to get sightlines into the UFO.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20741 on: October 13, 2018, 03:20:35 am »

Thing is, pistols only deal something like 2-3 points less damage than an assault rifle, while having the much better reaction rating.

Shotguns may seem expensive TU-wise, but remember that each shot fires three pellets, meaning it should be compared to the rifle's burst fire rather than its single fire. Yeah, the effective range is shorter, but rookies can't hit anything beyond the effective range of a shotgun anyways (and a considerable amount of combat takes place at close range anyways).

Also remember that a better reaction rating not only means they'll take more reaction shots, it also means that they'll trigger fewer reaction shots from the enemy.

I generally give recruits a shotgun to practice with, since it lets them train reactions while still having a chance to deal some decent damage. If their TUs are okay but their accuracy is shit, I'll give them a sniper rifle and set them up somewhere with a decent sight line, so they can take aimed shots while staying way away from the action. The sniper trains accuracy like crazy, but its accuracy bonuses are complete overkill in the hands of someone decent. If someone has sharpshooter stats, I'll give them an assault rifle... Because they're the only ones with the accuracy to make use of the extended range, and the assault rifle will let them overwatch an area, while the sniper has abysmal reactions.

Additionally, a suitably sharp-eyed shooter can fire bursts at very decent ranges, dealing more damage than a single sniper round for fewer TUs.

Oh yeah, also... Don't use frag grenades, they're awful. Next to no suppression and they have a teeny tiny AoE. A flashbang plus a rookie with a shotgun will deal just as much damage, and the banger will almost always disable the enemy better than a damaging grenade would. And, as a bonus, can't directly kill your own dudes with one...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20742 on: October 13, 2018, 09:19:55 am »

So I got Dragons Dogma recently and I'm playing it on hard, so far it has mostly been me stumbling into random encounters and getting oneshot by random shit, like say a bandit dude is doing some crazy flippy nonsense and I approach him from the back which apparently puts me into the instakill aoe of whatever move he was doing :V

Also bugger the lack of a dodge of any sort so far, once you're used to something like that as a primary way of not dying all the time it's kinda tough to unlearn it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20743 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:12 pm »

Crashed multiple times, and, on a few occasions, got attacked by melee enemies.

See, the problem is, I set my Endurance quite low during character creation (I was trying to play kind of like the Spy from TF2, with a focus on sneak, speech, and revolvers) AND I was playing on Hardcore Mode (Where every form of healing does so over time save doctors), so what would happen a lot is that I'd get hit, bring up my pip-boy, and then realize I had no way of bringing up my HP before the next hit.

I did manage to complete the DLC in the end, though.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20744 on: October 13, 2018, 12:56:11 pm »

I think I played hardcore mode by incessantly shooting things in the knees.

At least it wasn’t Skyrim, wouldn’t hear the bloody end of it there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 1575