Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376562 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20670 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »

X-series collision physics can be a bit janky too. And IIRC the actual collision damage tends to go straight through shields.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20671 on: September 15, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »

X-series collision physics can be a bit janky too. And IIRC the actual collision damage tends to go straight through shields.

I am cautiously excited for X4.

It looks like they took the lessons that Rebirth taught them to heart.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20672 on: September 16, 2018, 03:55:28 pm »

Someone told me once that X3 was "singleplayer EVE Online". Not true, compared to X3 EVE sucks. XR was horrid though. Pray for X4 to be good.

As for death:
Yesterday's sortie mission 2 was interception with sniper rifles. I got matched up with an MR 6 dude who sucked (I forget what frame he was using), a Khora who apparently never heard of using powers (her 4th power *rules* for locking down areas), and an Equinox  that was OK. I got twice the kills of the guy in second place (the Equinox), and I was an Inaros with a slow-charging Lanka (AKA, I one-shot everything, but clearing a group was slow AF). I could hold one zone no problem (Inaros is good at holding enemies), two barely. The Khora and MR6 couldn't even hold one spot, and the Equinox was too busy running around trying to lock down all the areas I wasn't holding to be of much real use.

We lost the second wave. I was a bit pissed at the Khora.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20673 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:36 am »

Touched Sigma too many times.  Then he killed me with some energy wave thing.  Then I got squished by his hands.  Then I touched him too many times again.  Then a giant purple block killed me.

I forgot how obnoxious playing as Zero could be in these games.  I was having all of that trouble with Sigma while playing with Black Zero, so I can only imagine how bad it would have been without the upgrade.  I burned through my two sub tanks in one fight and ended up leaving the virus levels to go refill them, only to have to fight through all of the mavericks again to try against Sigma again...

And don't get me started on Shadow Devil.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20674 on: September 17, 2018, 02:07:49 pm »

So, turns out Goblin Shamans with Wolfriders are no joke.

I was hired to defend a town from marauding Greenskins. This is day...79, I think, by far my best run. We have a good company of trained up troops and excellent equipment. I've fought greenskins a few times now and done all right, so this seems doable.

We find the goblins quickly after reaching the town we've been sent to defend. Unfortunately, we get probably the worst map set-up I've ever seen. The road follows a canyon, with less than half my troops at the top of the canyon and most of them down on the road. The goblins are all at the top.

The Shaman then casts an entanglement spell that keeps most of my force in place. I start moving my troops on the road around to help, those that can move anyway.

The wolfriders are quickly on my troops at the top of the cliff, who have not been able to move to a good position. Fortunately it's mostly my shield wall, so they're holding out for now but not able to do much damage.

A few of my troops track down and kill a lone wolfrider as they swing around the bottom side of the battlefield to try and get to the Shaman.

My archers move around the top to try and get on the opposite cliff edge and provide fire support for the shield line.

But the wolfriders are too quick and too accurate. We start taking losses among the troops at the top of the cliff. I let loose some war dogs to serve as a distraction, but they don't last long.

My lower group smashes through the lone wolfrider and starts trying to move up on the Shaman, but he keeps entangling them along with my shield line so they can't move quickly.

My archers, along with the greatsword soldier who was guarding them, are intercepted by two wolfriders. They manage to take one out, but more move around and come at them.

Seeing that this is not a fight we can win, I have those troops who can flee make a break for it. We loose a few more in the process, but about 5 of us make it to the edges of the map and retreat.

I have just enough time to pull my reserves up to the front, injured those most are, and to grab the one guy in town looking for work and shove him in armor. We start heading south, hoping we can get away from the goblins or at least meet up with a patrol. No such luck. They catch us out on the road.

With most of my best soldiers badly injured or already dead I expect this will go poorly. It's a flat field, at least, which while not good is at least better than that damn cliff road. We do our best, but the wolves can easily maneuver around my depleted front line to get at my archers. With the entanglement keeping us from being able to move and ruining our defenses my troops don't last long when the goblins actually get in close. We take out about half of them, but in the end there is nothing we can do.

Farewell to The Three of Swords, you were my best group yet.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #20675 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:32 am »

Dark Souls 2. Trying to get to Executioner's Chariot boss. Kill all these guys with whips and cool but sadly unobtainable polearms. Trying to get past that "red phantom" knight near the mist. He makes a jumping attack. I roll behind him. He spins 170 degrees in mid-jump and one-shots me.  ::) At least he is vulnerable to shockwave spell.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:43:18 pm by MCreeper »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20676 on: September 19, 2018, 07:25:51 pm »

Nearly killed the enemy command ship solo, but when its health was almost gone, other ships started to help it. Making a death-or-glory charge at it, I learned that the starting Dreadnought's broadside attack actually sucks. Also, Tactical Cruisers can erase several minutes of effort in a couple of seconds. Not so much as death-or-glory as death-or-embarrassing-death charge.

I am also terrible with the Destroyer.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20677 on: September 20, 2018, 12:21:27 pm »

Touched Sigma too many times.  Then he killed me with some energy wave thing.  Then I got squished by his hands.  Then I touched him too many times again.  Then a giant purple block killed me.

I forgot how obnoxious playing as Zero could be in these games.  I was having all of that trouble with Sigma while playing with Black Zero, so I can only imagine how bad it would have been without the upgrade.  I burned through my two sub tanks in one fight and ended up leaving the virus levels to go refill them, only to have to fight through all of the mavericks again to try against Sigma again...

And don't get me started on Shadow Devil.
y u touch teh sigma

But yeah Shadow Devil is the most bullshit boss in the entire X series, aside from X6 which had Gate and High Max. Iunno if you've tried that one yet but godspeed if you haven't. It's insanely bad.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20678 on: September 21, 2018, 10:15:41 am »

I built a second rafinery to get another harvester and continued to build my defences.

Suddenly a Sandworm crawled under one of the harvesters and ate it. I started building trikes to feed it and while I was doing that, the Ordos dropped into my base in a Harkonnen carryol. Then the Harkonnen did the same and then they continually attacked before destroying my Construction Yard (I did not have a Heavy factory yet).

I restarted.

I started by building my defences first, forgoing the second refinery for the time being. Suddenly the Ordos dropped into my base in a Harkonnen Carryall, and the Harkonnen bombed my Refinery with the Death Hand missile, destroying it.

Dune 2: The building of a dynasty
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20679 on: September 21, 2018, 06:25:07 pm »

A few ones. Surprisingly, none of them were a result of Screaming Spanish Saw Man/Woman.

Unlocked the achievement "Do Not Shoot The Water!"

Had difficulty defeating the village's "Big Cheese". Died multiple times at his... appendages, I suppose.

A truck crashed into Ashley and I multiple times before I figured out I had to both shoot the truck and shoot it early enough to avoid it crashing into me.

Finally, after reaching the castle, Ashely was caught in one of the blasts from one ofthe burning cannonball catapults. Mission Failed. Only, we won't get 'em next time 'cause the President's daughter is dead.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20680 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:27 pm »

That game takes the cake on "largest volume of specific ways to die".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20681 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »

Leon Halp doesn’t mind.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20682 on: September 21, 2018, 11:34:17 pm »

It's funny though that each of those blurbs, even if you redacted Ashleys name, are so clearly RE4 to me that either the game is that unique or else I played it way too much (both). RE4 was the "comfort game" for me after a particular break up. Best thing to ever happen to me, got the Hand Cannon that same week.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20683 on: September 24, 2018, 05:44:41 pm »

Ugh, whoever at Capcom thought that QTEs were a good idea needs to be strapped to a machine that constantly smacks them with a baseball bat and can only be escaped by mashing arbitrarily chosen buttons. It'd be a perfect metaphor for the entire game.

Oh, and the run-to-the-exit scenes, where the camera suddenly changes direction, and with it the controls.

As for the last death chronologically, it was fighting the final boss of the campaign. Kept running out of ammo, without a clear idea of how to kill it - you have to damage its weakpoints until it cocoons itself, then attack the cocoon, but after that it doesn't really tell you. I found that you it's best to use the knife on the cocoon, and then you have to stab the monster when it pops out(three times!).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20684 on: September 24, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »

y u touch teh sigma

But yeah Shadow Devil is the most bullshit boss in the entire X series, aside from X6 which had Gate and High Max. Iunno if you've tried that one yet but godspeed if you haven't. It's insanely bad.

Haven't gotten to X6 yet, because one of the trophies in the Legacy Collection was to destroy the colony in X5 using the Enigma, which is random, and I gave up on it after a couple of hours last session.  Last thing to do before I move on to X6...

I'm not looking forward to X6 at all.  Insanely bad might be an exaggeration for describing the game as a whole, but it is just bad as a whole.  I do remember Gate being a supreme pain in the butt though, and his fortress levels being even worse.  The designers even troll you by putting all the spikes in the levels, but you can't air dash with the ninja armor (can't remember its name), so you can't complete them with it despite really wanting to take advantage of its spike immunity.

I watched a few videos of X6 to refresh my memory and forgot just how BS it was.  Apparently High Max is invulnerable to the X buster and Z saber entirely, so if you bump into him without having beaten a maverick yet to get a special weapon, you just have to die.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 1575