Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376410 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20610 on: August 28, 2018, 08:07:34 pm »

Decided to progress with the story despite only having three guys split into two groups. Said story progression leads directly into a battle where individual groups have five or so troops each. Main character and the fighter paired with him got wiped from full health in one particular turn. I have allies for the battle, but they don't count if you get a total wipe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20611 on: August 28, 2018, 10:28:07 pm »

I played and beat last remnant, and I can tell you that it never really does become clear.  You can influence it with party makeup, with more physical focused squads getting more physical options and more magical focused teams getting more magical options, healers sometimes getting the ability to heal themselves or ally squads(that seemed to be the rarest to me) but I don't think you will ever get absolute 100% control over what combat options you are given in a given turn.  I only recall being able to largely predict what options would become available very lategame, and I think that was mostly just because I had the squads so specialized and with so many skills that match their specialty they could hardly do anything else.

Someone with a lot of time and memory editing capability can probably figure it out to a reasonable degree, just like how someone figured out every single iota of the game logic to Final Fantasy Tactics, but from a practical perspective I just considered the game to be largely randomized in your actions per turn, and part of the game was working with what you are given.

I did enjoy the game by the way, replay value is meh, but first playthrough is a trip. Kind of a hidden gem once you get the hang of the combat system, and the music is awesome.  I actually have soundsense scripted to play a couple tracks from that game when I play DF.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:31:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20612 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:21 am »

THAT FLIPPING SPIKE-WALL ASCENSION SEGMENT IN THE THIRD BOSS STAGE FOR MEGA MAN X3.

AAHGHAGUGAUH

The part with the robot snails you have to ride on?  Ugh, slowest and most tedious part of the whole game.  It doesn't help that if you aren't standing at the edge of the platform on them, your charged shots will hit them instead of flying off to destroy the things attacking you.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20613 on: August 29, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »

THAT FLIPPING SPIKE-WALL ASCENSION SEGMENT IN THE THIRD BOSS STAGE FOR MEGA MAN X3.

AAHGHAGUGAUH

The part with the robot snails you have to ride on?  Ugh, slowest and most tedious part of the whole game.  It doesn't help that if you aren't standing at the edge of the platform on them, your charged shots will hit them instead of flying off to destroy the things attacking you.

Also if you mess up at the top the snail rockets almost all the way down to the bottom.

Also the spikes are instant death.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20614 on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »

After falling down an elevator shaft and swimming through what must be some horrifically dank 20-odd-year-old hotel basement water, Joel emerges into the formerly luxurious establishment's decrepit basement. He moves through a hallway flanked by two doors, only for a carpet of rats to descend a sloped section of collapsed ceiling and run down it, fleeing from some unseen threat. He curses in surprise, recovers, gathers some supplies (including a bottle), and makes his way through one doorway, then up a staircase of rubble.

He emerges into an office with several lockers inside, but, having a feeling of where he should go, ignores them. Joel exits the office and crosses another hall to what was once a security room. On the table, a keycard. It seems important. Joel checks behind him; nothing. He grips the bottle in his hand a little tighter, looks away from the doorway for a fraction of a second to grab the keycard, and whips his head back.

A stalker stands motionless in the hall, facing away from him, seemingly having appeared from thin air. Joel physically forces himself not to scream. The infected body makes a horrific grunting noise and takes off, through the room Joel just exited and out a doorway on the other side. Joel creeps back into the office, bottle readied. He waits. And another stalker rushes in, as clockwork. He hurls the bottle at its skull and the glass smashes loudly, stunning the infected - but he can't waste time. Letting out a furious cry, he charges the creature and brains it with one swing of his pipe. It falls to the floor, lifeless.

Joel hears another stalker scream nearby. A brick flashes in the corner of his vision. He grabs it, the next stalker appears, and a second corpse joins the first. But he knows more are coming. Just have to find more projectiles - but no time to look, as another stalker rushes him before he can begin. Joel fumbles for his revolver, grabs it, aims, and fires. The creature is staggered for a slight moment, a bullet having apparently less effect on its fractured mind than glass or fired brick. He grabs the pipe from his pack and swings, but the stalker ducks it, having recovered in the blink of an eye. Before Joel can even think about winding up again its teeth are sinking into his throat and ripping hunks of flesh from it.

.   .   .   .   .

Joel emerges from a room filled with water into the formerly luxurious establishment's decrepit basement. He moves through a hallway flanked by two doors, only for a carpet of rats to descend a sloped section of collapsed ceiling and run down it, fleeing from some unseen threat . . .

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)
Black lives matter.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #20615 on: August 30, 2018, 04:30:46 am »

Damn, I was pretty close to victory, but Hornet just kept spamming her spiky balls while I was mid-air.

Fuck you, Hornet! You bug-wielding-a-needle whore!

Spoiler: The Game (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20616 on: August 30, 2018, 04:47:26 am »

I thought it'd been established that everything was the Dark Souls of itself.

But if we're using slightly less generalized definitions, I think I'd say that Salt and Sanctuary is more "Dark Souls platformer" than Hollow Knight. Not knocking Hollow's difficulty, heck no, it's just... There are other aspects of a game than just difficulty. It's why we don't say Dark Souls is the I Wanna Be The Guy of third-person action-RPGs.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #20617 on: August 30, 2018, 05:37:41 am »

But if we're using slightly less generalized definitions, I think I'd say that Salt and Sanctuary is more "Dark Souls platformer" than Hollow Knight. Not knocking Hollow's difficulty, heck no, it's just... There are other aspects of a game than just difficulty. It's why we don't say Dark Souls is the I Wanna Be The Guy of third-person action-RPGs.
Does that means that the reality we live in is actually crafted by Hidetaka Miyazaki, who lives in the different layer of reality? Hell, the dude even added himself into this very reality to mock us!

I haven't played Salt & Sanctuary, and I have a huge backlog right now.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20618 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:16 am »

Does that means that the reality we live in is actually crafted by Hidetaka Miyazaki, who lives in the different layer of reality? Hell, the dude even added himself into this very reality to mock us!

I haven't played Salt & Sanctuary, and I have a huge backlog right now.
Yep, that's the gist of it. At least, it's the first layer of subtext uncovered by the community so far... We've still got several layers of metaphor and symbolism to go through before the truth comes out.

S&S is... Well, it's Dark Souls, but 2D. That's pretty much it, right down to dumbly overpowered shields, ludicrously overpowered magic, unbalanced build types, bumfucked scaling on some weapons and even the little community messages here and there. Except here, there are a few prayers/miracles that are actually pretty decent. Including one that, with the right weapon, basically lets you 1-2 hit several bosses.

The graphics are... Something of an acquired taste. Like, a lot of the environments and monstrous things look excellent, but the player characters are ridiculously wonky. You get used to it though.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20619 on: August 30, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »

Salt and Sanctuary is Dark Souls 2D. Hollow Knight is Bug Souls.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20620 on: August 30, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »

Salt and Sanctuary is Dark Souls 2D. Hollow Knight is Bug Souls.
It's the difference between Bug Souls and Glitch Souls.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20621 on: August 30, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »

Honestly I have not noticed any actual glitches in HK. There's bugs-a-plenty, but that's to be expected.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20622 on: August 30, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »

Salt and Sanctuary, meanwhile, has a 30-minute record speedrun because holy fuck the glitches.

Also double-equipping some items, wielding swords the wrong way around, having trinket stats fail to actually initialize if they don't like you etc...

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20623 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:39 pm »

The base I was trying to keep alive was being constantly attacked by these wraith things that pop up at random, decide on their own whether or not to attack you (which means you can't preemptively strike them yourself, not that you'd want to with how strong they are) and the resources I need to actually build towers and common troops to fight them off are located a ways outside the base, which are also covered in wraiths, leaving my hero completely alone with a character build that isn't designed to fight undead. I couldn't run my workers around fast enough to keep up with the deaths, and eventually gave up out of frustration.

Best part is; I had beaten this game three years ago so I know it's possible, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. I may have had more patience back then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20624 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:59 pm »

Finally got the videogame system for my orbiter.  So I started playing some Street Frame Fighter with my Fancy looking Zephyr.  Was doing respectable and came up against a newbie.  I waited a bit for him to learn the controls, since they are a bit...odd, and I we started fighting for real on the second round with me up 1 point because I had been beating on him a bit before realizing he didn't know the controls, and got a timeout round win.

Naturally once he did have the controls he absolutely destroyed me, with me barely getting any hits in, because nice guys finish last.

Warframe: Frame Fighter
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 1575