Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376370 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20595 on: August 26, 2018, 03:46:30 am »

Overconfidence was a slow, and insidious killer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20596 on: August 26, 2018, 04:21:12 am »

I think the only time I have seen SOTS crash was when I took 5 morrigi dreads vs 3 hiver dreads where both sides had high level armour and either stormers or pulsed phasers. The deflections ate the FPS for dinner then killed the game. Pity the AI loves stormers and sticks them on everything.
Luckily SOTS 2 fixes that and makes crashing a much more viable tactic.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20597 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:20 am »

I used the Foundry Brick and was able to repair properly each time....

But once.

All it took was screwing up at the repair minigame once, and then it was "We drink to whoever it was" (This game seems like it really could benefit from a graveyard file and a more detailed description of living legends who retired - I know I can use the Heatsig File Viewer/Editor to view the files of dead or retired characters but it's a tad bit cumbersome).

Another time, I tried to abuse a breach grenade, only for my character to be harmed by it (I thought shields would protect me, but maybe I timed it wrong or otherwise messed up) and to be captured by the enemy.

Also, as a final note on Them's Good Eatin', the wiki states it's a reference to a really old game called Wasteland. Combat messages would say things like "Bandit has been turned into a thin red paste".

So maybe they just wanted to pay homage and do so by allowing the player to kind of commit cannibalism.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20598 on: August 26, 2018, 08:09:54 am »

Wasteland is the spiritual predecessor to Fallout, I know it's a reference to the death messages, but... Eh. Implementation's just a bit off, I feel. It feels more like they were lazy and let sausages spawn from any slain enemy rather than try and reasonably limit what could spawn them. Like, you can even pick them up off of ghost people without further ado, and even as a cannibal you need to talk to Dog before you can work out how to eat their cloud-soaked flesh.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20599 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:29 am »

Implementation's just a bit off, I feel. It feels more like they were lazy and let sausages spawn from any slain enemy rather than try and reasonably limit what could spawn them. Like, you can even pick them up off of ghost people without further ado

My thoughts exactly. But hey, they, uh, tried? Probably?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20600 on: August 26, 2018, 09:43:10 am »

The original Wasteland is a very old game. I've heard of worse glitches/unintended features.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20601 on: August 26, 2018, 11:47:04 am »

For those that are interested I did do a full LP of Wasteland 1 on this forum a couple years back. Can't exactly attest to its quality though since it's been about 3 years since I did it, but it's there.

Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20602 on: August 27, 2018, 08:48:38 am »

Stepped in magma by mistake during the rematch with Magma Dragoon.  At least I did succeed in killing him with my ride armor in the first fight, so I got the achievement.

Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hotfire90

« Reply #20603 on: August 27, 2018, 09:50:08 am »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20604 on: August 27, 2018, 02:55:33 pm »

Stepped in magma by mistake during the rematch with Magma Dragoon.  At least I did succeed in killing him with my ride armor in the first fight, so I got the achievement.

Killing magma dragoon with the ride armor is an ACHIEVEMENT now?  Back when I was a teenager I couldn't beat Magma Dragoon without the ride armor.  I would always go for him first because he was the only one I could consistently beat without a power thanks to being able to bring a giant mech into the boss room.  I actually thought him showing up in the prologue was a hint to indicate that you should go for him first.

Yes I am very bad at megaman games.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20605 on: August 27, 2018, 03:07:33 pm »

The achievement is for landing a killing blow with the ride armor, which is actually challenging if you don't cheese it a little by getting out of the armor to beat him up a lot first.  He'll usually trash the armor before you can finish him off otherwise.

I usually start with Web Spider so I can get the leg armor right off, but that's mostly a habit I formed from playing the first Mega Man X where you really, really want to get the leg armor as early as possible.  I'm pretty sure Web Spider is mid-tier as far as difficulty goes, and if I had to rank them I'd probably put Frost Walrus as the easiest to beat without his weakness.  Amusingly, he's actually one of the harder ones to kill using his weakness given how close you have to get, but maybe not as bad as Cyber Peacock, who is a real pain without his weakness and who you can easily run out of weapon energy against with his weakness.  Not so bad if you're good enough to get the helmet armor on your first try through his stage, unlike me last time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20606 on: August 27, 2018, 03:31:45 pm »

Ah ok I can see final hit as being a challenge it was usually a toss up if the armor would survive to the end for me.

And yea fuck cyber peacock.  Fuck him/her right in the robotic cloaca.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20607 on: August 27, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »

For those that are interested I did do a full LP of Wasteland 1 on this forum a couple years back. Can't exactly attest to its quality though since it's been about 3 years since I did it, but it's there.
Oh yeah, that was good fun!
I would never have been able to slog through that game myself, so kudos to you. It was an interesting ride.

To keep on-topic, my last death before I went to bed was... to a kobold, apparently. If I remember rightly the little fukker had an iron mace, possibly of a higher than usual quality, and probably some decent armour as well if my failure to chop it apart was any indication.
How embarrassing. By the time I realised it was much, much tougher than your average kobold it was all too late.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20608 on: August 28, 2018, 01:10:56 am »

Died from fighting a Kampe. But not from it hitting me. In fact, it failed to hit me even once.
What happened is this.

First, one of my cloaks spontaniously combusted, so I threw it at the Kampe.
Then, one of my hoods spontaniously combusted, so I threw it as well.
Then, my right hand spontaniously combusted, and I bled to death.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20609 on: August 28, 2018, 05:13:12 pm »

THAT FLIPPING SPIKE-WALL ASCENSION SEGMENT IN THE THIRD BOSS STAGE FOR MEGA MAN X3.

AAHGHAGUGAUH
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 1575