Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376442 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20580 on: August 23, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »

It's equal parts worthless, overpowered
Just to nitpick here - In my mind those two words have opposite meanings. But yeah, outside of "Gives Survival players a potentially powerful alternative to Stimpaks" it doesn't exactly seem all that great.

Unless you're playing a modded version - one of the mods I have (One of the balancing mods, I think it was Project Mojave or Yukichigai's Unoffical Patch) causes Blood Sausage and Thin Red Paste to be affected by the Survival skill (and thus restore much more health than in vanilla).

As for the rest of your statement, well...

Even though I'm flush with caps courtesy of the New Vegas Bounties mod series (And thus can afford all the stimpaks in the world, maybe even literally), I feel a bit odd about always using Stimpaks for every injury. Here, I can resist the urge to pick up things like bottles of Nuka-Cola that all weigh one pound a piece in favor of simply using these items to heal out of combat without having such a significant impact on carry weight.

Due to one of the mods I mentioned earlier, I'm sure my next hardcore run will be a bit easier courtesy of the perk, if I choose to take it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: August 23, 2018, 05:30:27 pm »

It's equal parts worthless, overpowered
Just to nitpick here - In my mind those two words have opposite meanings. But yeah, outside of "Gives Survival players a potentially powerful alternative to Stimpaks" it doesn't exactly seem all that great.
Seems to me he's deliberately saying them both. It's excessively good at one thing while rubbish at the actual intention of the perk - hence overpowered and worthless at the same time.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20582 on: August 23, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »

See, I played vanilla my first time through, so no beefing up their healing capabilities. I also played on hardcore mode, because what else are you supposed to do?

Never used a single stimpak the entire game, except for one point when I felt bad for all the stimpaks I was hoarding and used one out of pity. Never needed to. There was always something I could eat, or some survival recipe I could slap together or whatnot. It wasn't an intentional handicap, I just... Really never needed to use one, since food was always enough even in the heat of combat.

I did pick up Them's Good Eatin' at one point and ended up stockpiling a bunch of sausages and paste, but I ended up selling most of them because they're not very good on their own without skill bonuses. So, yeah... Weren't very good healing items, which they're nominally supposed to be, but they were ridiculously good bartering items, which I kinda doubt was the original intention.

It's all kinda chalked up to "DLC power creep", but while still somehow managing to be pretty lackluster as far as burning a perk slot goes. So, yeah... Worthless and overpowered.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: August 23, 2018, 06:35:11 pm »

Fair enough, I suppose.

Most recent death:

New Vegas Bounties 3 has a whole new slew of deadly enemies, and your only companion is basically a vastly more likeable Ricky (not sure how good he actually is as a combatant) who can boost your luck by a huge amount (I think this companion appears due to Wild Wasteland, since the sound effect triggered when I first met him).

One of the first bounties was this Hispanic guy who had a harem of three women with knives - proper combat knives, mind - and I kept getting shanked to death when I tried to bring Sweet Revenge or my Hunting Shotgun to a knife fight.

Objectively Better Ricky was having similar difficulties, since The Ferguson Rifle (Which I’d given him) isn’t a close-combat weapon by any means.

After a few deaths, I did wise up and pull out the Two-Step Goodbye (From the Gun Runners robot, probably a mod that lets it sell unique weaponry), but even then I had to stop to use stims after a few nasty hits.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: August 23, 2018, 06:47:16 pm »

After a few deaths, I did wise up and pull out the Two-Step Goodbye (From the Gun Runners robot, probably a mod that lets it sell unique weaponry), but even then I had to stop to use stims after a few nasty hits.
Nope! Or, well, I suppose you *could* class the Gun-Runners Arsenal DLC as a "mod" of sorts, but that weapon is in the vanilla version of GRA and is only available from the vendortron.

And it's a good weapon too, right up until you accidentally blow up three NPCs when slapping a rat or something because of the crit effect...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: August 24, 2018, 11:37:09 am »

In Arkham Knight, I had officer Owens
Since he fired the gun the game still reacted like he went on a murder spree.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: August 25, 2018, 02:24:39 am »

Sucked down a sinkhole while trying to swim away from the zombie that jsut hurled a javelin though my chest.

Minecraft, Best I can figure is a trident updated some unstable gravel in the bottom of the river.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: August 25, 2018, 02:42:30 am »

Xcom2: perform an hack on codex, killing it, then Avatar shows up, kill it, then trying to deactivate a transmission bean but.. a mech decide to show up and.. he kill all my team

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: August 25, 2018, 03:14:44 am »

Those kinds of things are why spamming explosives seems to be the best strategy in XCOM 2 (or it was when I played through it at least)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: August 25, 2018, 02:29:38 pm »

Spamming explosives is the best strategy in every x-com game. Maybe excepting vanilla EU, where they don't give you lots of the stuff.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: August 25, 2018, 02:39:58 pm »

Spamming explosives is the best strategy in every x-com game. Maybe excepting vanilla EU, where they don't give you lots of the stuff.
It was definitely a good tactic in UFO and TFTD (yeah, let's just throw grenades underwater, that'll work fine!).

It may not have been a very good idea in Apocalypse, but it was definitely the best idea.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: August 25, 2018, 02:43:24 pm »

On the other hand if you try explosive heavy runs of Xenonauts remember they don't have dead man's switches. Zero turn delay means it will explode in your hands. I learnt that the hard way a fair while ago.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: August 25, 2018, 03:59:47 pm »

On the other hand if you try explosive heavy runs of Xenonauts remember they don't have dead man's switches. Zero turn delay means it will explode in your hands. I learnt that the hard way a fair while ago.
I think for Xeno I basically just went "Shotguns for EVERYBODY!" and went full reactions mode on some X-files mofos.

But, I mean, the basic grenades in Xenonauts are horrible... For throwy crowd control, I think I just gave people flashbangs and let them shoot things. I'm guessing the upgraded xenonades are better, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: August 26, 2018, 01:38:09 am »

Hollow Knight is pretty tough, but mostly fair. Finally defeating a tough boss, or clearing a difficult room, feels like an achievement.

Except for this one corridor in the crystal mines. It's complete bullshit. Actually most of the crystal mines are various forms of bullshit. Least favorite area by far.

In other bug-related news, I tried to start a new game as the Hivers. Just a few turns in, I decided to click on a news ticker message about completed ship construction on a whim. Instant crash, followed by what was essentially a CTD. I can't recall the game ever crashing for me before. Certainly not on something so innocuous.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:45:44 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: August 26, 2018, 03:25:09 am »

I think the only time I have seen SOTS crash was when I took 5 morrigi dreads vs 3 hiver dreads where both sides had high level armour and either stormers or pulsed phasers. The deflections ate the FPS for dinner then killed the game. Pity the AI loves stormers and sticks them on everything.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1575