Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376873 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20400 on: June 27, 2018, 01:52:23 pm »

I was doing poorly. I decided to restore the previous turn.

Then the game crashed.

I reloaded.

Then the game crashed.

I started a new game, this time I was doing decently. I defeated the bolsheviks feebly trying to crush the Good, Proper and Christian forces (that's us!) and chased them to the Kuban. My divisions were divided to take the smaller towns in the south while the 1st Corps seized the railroad, crucial to the war effort. Two Don Cossack corps rushed to Tsaritsyn, steamrolling the unprepared reds and forcing them to take refuge inside the massive city on the Volga. Thus begun a long siege, with the Red forces being more numerous and well dug in, forcing me to try to starve them out. I seized much artillery from the retreating reds, making my siege considerably easier.

In the Don area the things we not so smooth, however. Filthy Communist Scum Evil had scrambled together a powerful unit and started digging in Ekaterinodar. The city was a jewel of the Black Sea and it had a great value both as a symbol to our people and as home to a small but useful industry with which we would feed our war. Thus, I rallied a massive Corps (in actuality it had two Corps effectively merged into one) with over 30 thousand infantrymen, 10 thousand cavalrymen and 90 cannons. Under the brilliant command of our True Russian officers we assaulted the inferior Reds and smashed their filthy lines into dust, killing over 10 thousand men of the 30 thousand strong army and taking three thousand commies prisoner. The Bolsheviks, as usual, resorted to deception. I found out that the Reds had a division hidden in the swamps of the Kuban which was ready to strike at my triumphant yet exhausted force. If there would be a battle, over half of my forces would likely be routed and the war against the less-than-human Reds would be over. I bravely ordered my forces to, as the good Tzar said (God rest his and his family's souls), leg it. My newly-reorganised troops used the railroad to mount a daring retreat to the northeast, evading the crushing defeat which would be inflicted upon us if we stayed.

Then the game crashed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20401 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:01 pm »

I think I found one of the most irritating bosses of any game ever. A literal pile of vomit, whose somewhat lengthy preceding cutscene is punctuated by obnoxious burp sound effects, has insane defense, can poison, hits twice per attack, and summons smaller piles of vomit that can in turn summon more of themselves as well as blind the entire party at once.

Throwing every once of power at this guy isn't enough to kill it.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20402 on: June 27, 2018, 09:05:52 pm »

Accidentally ran into lava with my last health point while fighting Ripto in Spyro 2.  Surprisingly, it only took 3 tries to beat him, I think, where Gulp took closer to 10.  It sucked because Gulp could heal himself by eating chickens...

Hmm, actually, I guess the actual last time I died was falling in a hole as Sheila in Spyro 3, but that's less interesting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20403 on: June 28, 2018, 01:17:51 am »

Dota 2, just end up permanently CC'd in every single fight.

I really just don't understand how to be relevant in this game.  I can do all the farming I want but the enemy team will still be many levels ahead of me and easily do twice or triple my damage.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20404 on: June 28, 2018, 02:19:46 am »

Tested whether my Templar could stand up to Barmanu's ice meteor thingy...

Nope. Time to trek back through Chumbi Valley.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20405 on: June 28, 2018, 03:03:17 am »

Died to the second boss of Star Ocean 4 again and again and again.  First time I fought him, I thought I was supposed to lose just because I could not damage him, the first boss of the game was the same way.  No wonder people claim the game is so bad, I only fought two bosses so far and both of them required hitting certain weak spots at certain times. 

Simple right?  But no they are very much not obvious. First one apparently needs me to hit it on it's most armored looking side for 1 or 2 about 50 times to break off the armor so I can do normal damage to it (but only that one side), That fight took about 2 hours, because I didn't look it up, I was only told the mechanics after by a friend with a similar problem.

Second one needs me to hit it in the back when it's doing a two part attack that not only knocks you away on the first part, it hits everything near it for tons of damage 2 seconds later if you are too close to it, literally leaving no space to actually hit the damn thing without getting hit back.  That one I looked up.

There is no hints or anything like that before or during the battle indicating these 'weak spots', the first boss simply seems straight up invulnerable until you hit it's sweet spot enough for it to take off it's armor, noting that said sweet spot gives no indication it is such even when yer hitting it.  And the 2nd boss actively discourages you from hitting it in it's vulnerable spot, the moment you get hit with that skill the first time anyone with a brain knows to stay the fuck away from it when it's using it. And to top all of this off, 3/4ths of your party is AI controlled and the AI does not understand anything more complicated than charge at enemy and hit it til the damage numbers stop, so the rest of your party is completely useless for the encounters.

Who the hell designed these boss fights this way?  I can see if they gave you some kind of indicator of how to fight them, but there is absolutely nothing, not even a special sound when you are doing things right, hell on the first boss you don't even do extra damage.  I am consitering just quitting the game here and now, Tri Ace was a god among developers, but they have clearly lost their touch if they think this is good game design.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:08:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20406 on: June 28, 2018, 03:18:10 am »

Spawned on Squad Leader, got immediately shot in the back of the head by said SL, right in time for tickets to run out.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20407 on: June 28, 2018, 05:06:14 am »

Dota 2, just end up permanently CC'd in every single fight.

I really just don't understand how to be relevant in this game.  I can do all the farming I want but the enemy team will still be many levels ahead of me and easily do twice or triple my damage.

Step 1: Blame your team.

Step 2: Learn some Russian or Portuguese in order to blame your team better.

So, despite the word's origin and face value, the team's "carry" is really never meant to operate alone. Except in extreme circumstances, you are not the one who is supposed to lead the charge into the enemy midst, and you are not supposed to go bravely venturing where no teammate has gone before behind enemy lines. You are supposed to be safe, get fat, and be the hammer to your team's anvil.

You need initiators to start the fight by jumping in and either eating the enemy team's first few precious stuns or by stunning the fuck out of everyone to prevent them from doing that. Then you need some kind of followup to help pin and dismantle the team once the initiator has done their job of buying time. Then the carry goes in and starts eating the trussed-up piñatas that the enemy team has been turned into.

This is the optimal situation, and the one you should always try and aim for. If the enemy team is halfway competent or if your team isn't quite halfway competent, this likely won't be what actually happens, but it's still a good metric to try and follow.

Also, buy a goddamn BKB. If you do not have a BKB, you are not built yet. If you are not built yet, why are you fighting? Pre-built carry interaction should only be done very carefully and with good coordination with your teammates. Most carries simply cannot meaningfully contribute until they hit their sweet spot of gear and levels, so you getting into fights before then had better only be because your team is spoon-feeding you weakened enemy heroes so you can grow big and strong. If you're playing Antimage and your team is griping at you for not contributing in teamfights before you've even got a battlefury, they are being dorks and are likely intent on losing the game.

This does not mean you should ignore your team or refuse to help them. While you can't be expected to swing much weight around in the early game, you *can* still help out by listening to them and picking up easy kills or distracting/scaring someone trying to gank one of your supports, so long as you do not endanger yourself. Getting a kill as a carry is considerably less important than staying alive as a carry.

Now, I've only assumed that you're playing carry, because you're talking about damage and farming. If you are not playing a carry, those things are not your job. There are of course roles like mid or ganker where you need a certain level advantage and a couple core items in order to hit your stride, but they're often referred to as soft or semi-carries anyways. If you're playing CM, you shouldn't be stuck in the lane trying to get last hits. You should be out supporting your team, because you do not need expensive items or even that many levels in order to be relevant.

As a general suggestion, I'd like to recommend playing some coop vs. AI rounds. That gamemode tends to draw a slightly more chill crowd, and while the AI is hysterically predictable and dumb at times, they can still provide a good learning experience for some aspects of the game because they have terrifying reaction speeds. If you can properly lock down a bot team with CC or beat them in last hits, you're doing well (this mainly only applies to the higher difficulty bots, the lower difficulty ones are... Not very good at anything except walking in a straight line and dying).

Also, the bots rarely taunt and jeer quite as much as an enemy human team, which can help.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20408 on: June 28, 2018, 10:17:54 am »

Spawned on Squad Leader, got immediately shot in the back of the head by said SL, right in time for tickets to run out.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

An integral part of the Rising Storm experience for sure. You haven't fully enjoyed the game until you've died immediately on spawning at least ten separate times and kept on playing. Because while the game might have plenty of bullshit, it's balanced out by those moments where everything lines up perfectly. Like flanking an enemy firing line and getting five kills before anyone realizes you're there. Or sneaking behind enemy lines, skrimishing with freshly spawned soldiers, and sniping a commander who thinks he is completely safe. Those are the moments when I love the game the most. And then my next five deaths come from spawnkills, friendly fire, or just plain being shot out of the blue. The bullshit can't stay away forever.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20409 on: June 28, 2018, 11:19:24 am »

I've had shit luck for the last week or so with RS2. I don't think I've been on a winning team in at least a dozen games, and I wish that was exaggeration. Haven't been able to get those badass moments I play the game for because of rampant teamkilling and Commanders deciding to wipe out their own teams. At least three games were lost because of Commanders dropping arty or napalm on a point we'd almost secured. I stopped playing last night after I had a commander napalm the team every single time he used it. The only way to survive was to rush onto the point into the buildings that the enemy were waiting for us in. And my lower spine is apparently the largest thing in existence, kept getting hit from 100+ meters away though thick jungle. I've played long enough (191 hours) to get that bullshit's going to happen, that's war. But last night especially was a mine of the purest salt.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20410 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »

Well fuck.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20411 on: June 28, 2018, 01:36:52 pm »

-snip-
-snip-
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:31:44 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20412 on: June 28, 2018, 08:18:46 pm »

Told a Pyro Jack that "mascots are cool." It told me off for confusing it with its brother Jack and murdered me in a single hit.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20413 on: June 29, 2018, 08:21:00 am »

SS13 again. Was in the process of handling a pyroclasm in the AI satellite when one of the turrets stunned me just in time for a slime to spawn and sit on my head. After a nasty battle, I was left with severe cellular damage. Headed over to medbay, was about to get put in the cryotubes by the virologist/chemist when someone with the CE's ID card ran in and just murdered both of us with mining loot stuffed into a bag of holding. Virologist's body got stuffed into the incinerator and permanently destroyed, mine got stuffed into the gibber and permanently destroyed.

An admin-observer had taken offense at the fact that this was an extended (no roundstart threats) shift, so he took one of the legally grey-area ghost roles and found an excuse to launch a genocide on the station.

This was done apparently from the moral high ground of creating more hostility on the server. He has a tendency to either find a casus belli for murdering people, or just throw himself into the supermatter engine to destabilize it because lolz. So, in this case, the lesson was "if you see any ashwalkers, just murder all of them" (note that this is the same ashwalker role as from my last SS13 story), because regardless of how friendly the first ones might be, someone (him) is inevitably going to join and kill everyone else. Also, we apparently need more people who take up the noble cause of just flat out killing everyone, because "5-hour rounds kill the server".

So yeah, thanks. Lesson learned. Never play that role again, despite having a fondness for it, and shoot every one of them on sight despite the fun times I've had with them, because eventually someone is gonna shit in the punchbowl. And always kill everyone, because long rounds with very few people where they work on big projects and test game mechanics are toxic and should be replaced with a deathmatch.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20414 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:33 am »

Played MWO for the first time in ages.

MWO
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1575