Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376213 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20160 on: March 26, 2018, 01:50:19 pm »

Another round about to be given up on. Launching two types of attacks. One is sending out waves of largely autonomous scale-1.0 drones of two designs; one is armed with a reverse inductor(zaps power), mind sappers(zaps control), salvagers(converts enemy ships to metal), and material containment beams(steals stuff from planets), as well as export docks to bank the stuff they steal/salvage, while the other design has chemical bombs to kill planet populations. Both (are supposed to) roam around the galaxy and just wreck stuff, and are quite effective if they swarm a target.

The other method of attack is a conventional force of scale-96 battleships. I built a dozen of these within a few minutes at a shipyard with five planets covered in as many space ports as possible, with fast cargo ships to pull stuff and deliver it to the shipyard. It's pretty effective. As they move to jump to an enemy system, I see the defenders have scale-30 or so ships, no problem. As they jump into the system, they're met with scale-91 ships. While the rest go around dropping shots on planets, two get caught on the system edge trading fire with at least six of these. Four are destroyed before one of mine are (finally) killed, and the others flee.

Then several scale-100 and up arrive in system. I really don't know how they can manage to pop these ships out like that. I can hardly keep up with the escalation, and I just min-maxed an entire star system to produce ships as fast as possible. As far as I know, I'm way ahead in research and economy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any good? I heard a lot of things go either way with that one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: March 26, 2018, 01:57:08 pm »

I have heard nothing but awful things.

Also Friesland sounds tasty AF
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: March 26, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »

As long you dont play it expecting a full on MSG game, i went with a *spin-off* and loved it. i recommend it on sale, not full price and some functionality is locked behind aa pay wall, like more savegame slot or more exploration team. But None of them are really needed to be honest, decent pace but could use sopme balancing, like later on your expedition team will gather a few ressource after like a full real time day wich is Meh in my book but oh well. There is some mod around but i think these kind of thing are controled by the server, its a single player online game like sim city 2005 was i think? There is no offline playing thats what i mean. Wish it would be more open to modding but they try to keep balanced for the multiplayer component wich i really like, wish there would be more player tho. Also if you are an acheivment runner, you might want to read about the missable acheivment since you only get 1 save slot.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: March 26, 2018, 07:02:30 pm »

As long you dont play it expecting a full on MSG game, i went with a *spin-off* and loved it. i recommend it on sale, not full price and some functionality is locked behind aa pay wall, like more savegame slot or more exploration team. But None of them are really needed to be honest, decent pace but could use sopme balancing, like later on your expedition team will gather a few ressource after like a full real time day wich is Meh in my book but oh well. There is some mod around but i think these kind of thing are controled by the server, its a single player online game like sim city 2005 was i think? There is no offline playing thats what i mean. Wish it would be more open to modding but they try to keep balanced for the multiplayer component wich i really like, wish there would be more player tho. Also if you are an acheivment runner, you might want to read about the missable acheivment since you only get 1 save slot.

So like I'm not trying to be a smartass here, for reals, but those sound like all bad things.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: March 26, 2018, 07:23:33 pm »

...You have to pay for a save slot? Especially if said save slot might be required for an achievement? What the actual fuck?

Also decided not to give up, and keep pushing. That was a bad idea. My slightly-smaller ships can go head to head, since mine appear to be packing more dakka. I've actually managed to scan a few of their designs. Somehow, in the space of a few minutes, their scale-10 - scale-15 ships went from 500k HP to 1.5 million HP. My scale-96 ships have 8 million HP. Also in that timeframe I went from 1st in research to 3rd, and 1st in economy to last.

Oh, and one the designs I was looking at seemed to be trying to give a warning that the components took up too much space when I loaded it up, though it appears it doesn't.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: March 26, 2018, 08:35:19 pm »

...You have to pay for a save slot? Especially if said save slot might be required for an achievement? What the actual fuck?

One save by default, each additional slot costs ten USD, that is $10.00 (or maybe $9.99, not that the one cent meaningfully matters.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: March 26, 2018, 08:43:37 pm »

One save by default, each additional slot costs ten USD, that is $10.00 (or maybe $9.99, not that the one cent meaningfully matters.)

You have just killed any desire I may have had to even think about playing that game.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20167 on: March 26, 2018, 08:58:25 pm »

so... does that count as DLC?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: March 26, 2018, 11:26:48 pm »

I didn't even buy it, and won't play it, the very thought of having to pay for additional save slots is absolutely repugnant to me, and ten goddamn dollars is absolutely extortionist.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: March 27, 2018, 12:33:34 pm »

Majesty for mobile had that as a thing.

But in that you could play for like, 30m and unlock the slot. Also the gems were not really needed for anything else.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:57 pm »

I failed to unify Egypt.

How did I fail to unify Egypt? Well, I unified it, and the game failed to register that I'd unified it.

Predynastic Egypt

How is this game, btw? Heard mixed things, but has looked interesting.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: March 27, 2018, 05:51:33 pm »

I failed to unify Egypt.

How did I fail to unify Egypt? Well, I unified it, and the game failed to register that I'd unified it.

Predynastic Egypt

How is this game, btw? Heard mixed things, but has looked interesting.

Whatever, this game isn't THAT historically accurate. We all know that Ancient Egypt is in truth descended from the cultural remnants of Stygia, a black land of sorcery and nameless horror. Set the Old Serpent, men said, banished long ago from the Hyborian races, yet lurked in the shadows of the cryptic temples, and awful and mysterious were the deeds done in the nighted shrines.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: March 27, 2018, 11:46:57 pm »

The round had been going pretty well so far. I had a suppressed M16A4, a Kar 98, and a bunch of other decent gear when I happen to spot an airdrop in the distance. Immediately, I get into my buggy and start driving towards the location.

My line is straight, there is no deviation. Suddenly I see something, a person! I break the smooth formation and go for the kill.

He had no time to react. I plow through the target like snow and engage the handbrake as I prepare to loot the corpse, but what's this? The vehicle isn't stopping! THE GODDAMN VEHICLE ISN'T STOPPING!

My ride crashes into a tree and I am flung into the air. I use my remaining few seconds to accept the inevitable, before falling down a hill and dying for good.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: March 28, 2018, 09:22:21 am »

(Not sure if my latest death, but for sure the most interesting) Was in skymin slashes last stream, and she was doing degroot keep, and I died by the central gate opening, as I pointed out, I wasn't even aware that was POSSIBLE

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20174 on: March 28, 2018, 03:28:07 pm »

I twerked too hard.

...no seriously, I made a ship that had a giant front facing gun with a small firing arc, and set the AI to broadside at 0 degrees.  The intent was to cause the AI to always face the enemy head on, which it does.  Problem is, it doesn't differentiate between which end of the ship has to face the enemy head on.  So sometimes it turns directly away from the enemy and just kind of shakes its butt at them.  I have yet to make a ship the AI can use particularly well.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1575