Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376015 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19935 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:18 pm »

Boulder throwers are nasty. If you're squishy, a single one can take off over half your health... and giants spawn in packs with potentially multiple throwers.

In a similar vein: I didn't watch my level and ended up going into the Dark Crypt right at level 24. A bit scary when everything inside is level ~39, but I had Antimagic and enough points in Charged Shield to get through the casters. Until I ran into a nasty rare with Archer talents. I should've gotten out once I nearly died discovering that his vision-impairment effect was also a physical confusion. I should've gotten out once Heartstart triggered and I had to LOS to survive. Instead, I healed to full and re-engaged.

Bastard immediately crit a steady shot for >600 damage. I had ~550 health, and Heartstart was still down. That's the second Mindslayer in a row I've lost to massive physical crits, and this one had the Christmas bonus prodigy point.  >:(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19936 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:49 pm »

Stopped in at a town to repair - I have positive relations with the faction, even though because of quest-related shenanigans I had to sink two of their ships that attacked me.

Possibly because of that battle, despite still having positive relations, the town was hostile. Unfortunately, the map travel system does not take this into account. As soon as I exited the map screen, every cannon tower open up on me. And before I was blown out of the water, tentacles came up and dragged me under.

EDIT: TWICE now, attacked upon entering a friendly town, flying different flags each time(first a pirate flag, the other a trader flag). The first time, died. The second time got away but not without damage.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:08:34 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19937 on: January 14, 2018, 04:09:20 am »

I dropped off my Seamoth back at the edge of the kelp forest to keep it clear of passing Reapers while I salvaged around the tail of the wrecked Aurora.  With a full load of goods, I swam back towards the beacon.  As I did, I thought to myself, "you know, it'd kinda be funny if it just blinked out."  Not five seconds after, I can only watch as the beacon flies up and over before blinking out.  Stunned for a second by the sheer timing, I swam in closer, only to hear a very familiar roar....
You would think I would have learned.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:12:13 am by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19938 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:07 am »

Killed by someone shooting through an object.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19939 on: January 14, 2018, 08:19:39 am »

A) Tank shells could possibly tear through a passanger wagon or an empty cargo wagon. But certainly not through the engine.
B) How did the guy even see you, through the train.

My death:

Played a DrCj in crawl, went out of the entrance vault, got immediately surrounded by monsters and killed.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19940 on: January 14, 2018, 10:04:32 am »

I didn't see him, but looking from his perspective on the replay, he very likely had ally spotting on me, allowing him to see my name in faded out letters. The first shot took out all but one crew, which, if you have crew replenishment available, automatically immobilizes you to use it(otherwise you just die).

Sort of death: Apparently engines are all but required on any ship. A sail-only vessel is a beast to control. Maybe using spin blocks to orient the sails might help. And an apparently new bug causing ships to always be off-balance and roll isn't helping.

While a broadside of 44 CRAM cannons(each side) on three gun decks is a truly awesome sight, it's actually hard to pull off when you can't turn the ship, and the enemy likes to snipe the forward guns first. I only managed to sink the DWG-Marauder - a ship of similar construction except sails, and little more than a quarter of the cost - because of a higher block count, and the fact that the Marauder likes to ram your sides. Eventually managed blast the Marauder off, them bring the port guns(starboard was the rammed side) around, and nearly cut the Marauder in half in two salvos.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19941 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »

That should not have been possible even in real life.

1.  Penetrating through objects is far easier at a flat angle.  The shell struck the train at an very shallow angle, terrible for penetrating through.
2.  Even if the part of the train it struck is weak or hollow, having to push through multiple layers of material should still subtly change the path of the projectile.  Its not like your tank was right on the other side, the shell still had to pass through a lot of open air which should have made the altered trajectory apparent.
3.  I'm going to take a wild guess that that was an explosive round (since it was fired from a tank, also your tank exploded).  So how exactly did it not explode on (or a fraction of a second after) impacting a train car?  Was this a special tin foil train?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #19942 on: January 14, 2018, 04:06:01 pm »

Forgot to cast my area of effect spell while surrounded. Tried to outheal the damage instead, which just resulted in me being unable to cast magic.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19943 on: January 14, 2018, 04:59:40 pm »

Forgot to cast my area of effect spell while surrounded. Tried to outheal the damage instead, which just resulted in me being unable to cast magic.

Don't forget to tell us what game it was.

Quick, before someone casts Meteor Swarm on you!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19944 on: January 14, 2018, 05:00:07 pm »

The DLC doesn't screw around. I'm basically ready to move on to the endgame and final boss at this point, but Manus is crushing me. I'm pretty sure that his hitboxes are super disjointed or linger longer than intended, possibly both--I very clearly dodge many of his attacks and I still get damaged.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19945 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:30 pm »

That should not have been possible even in real life.

1.  Penetrating through objects is far easier at a flat angle.  The shell struck the train at an very shallow angle, terrible for penetrating through.
2.  Even if the part of the train it struck is weak or hollow, having to push through multiple layers of material should still subtly change the path of the projectile.  Its not like your tank was right on the other side, the shell still had to pass through a lot of open air which should have made the altered trajectory apparent.
3.  I'm going to take a wild guess that that was an explosive round (since it was fired from a tank, also your tank exploded).  So how exactly did it not explode on (or a fraction of a second after) impacting a train car?  Was this a special tin foil train?

I'll point out that this was Arcade Battle, not Realistic or Simulator, so the game's physics are probably simplified a lot. I haven't played RB or SB, so grain of salt there.

Also, HE rounds aren't used much in WT, most internal damage to tanks appears to be spalling from AP hits. The most common way I die is through crew loss(including this time) - if you're reduced to 1 crewman, your tank is exploded because you don't have enough men in your tank to effectively operate it. The other main way to die is your ammo racks blowing up, either from being hit by a shell/spall fragments, or the tank burning. You can also explode if your engine is completely destroyed, and hits to the engines, fuel, or radiator tend to cause fires anyway.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19946 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:13 am »

In a fight with a dragon, and i get caught between it and an angry mammoth that wanted to kill it, and me. This didnt end well.

Skyrim
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19947 on: January 16, 2018, 12:09:31 pm »

Went to a new floor of lair, saw a shiny longsword.
Picked it up and wielded it. Distortion, oops.

Went around a corner and saw a horde of blink frogs (Which heal from distortion)

So I dug into a wall and switched to my regular longsword, only to be immeditely abyssed to Abyss:3.

I searched for an exit and found it. The first time I tried to leave, I was knocked away by a Thrashing Horror. The second time I tried to leave, I was killed.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #19948 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:13 am »

My court physician decided to treat my food poisoning by cutting off my hand. Do I need to say that it didn't work, and the fact that I died?! Now I'll have to try again.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19949 on: January 17, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »

Yeah, what a quack. Shoulda used leeches instead.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 1575