Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376429 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19815 on: November 30, 2017, 06:18:20 am »

Tried to copy the launch vehicle that Raiden uses at the end of Metal Gear: Rising to reach the final mission area.

Tried again. Increased the number of engines from 2 Panther engines and 2 R.A.P.I.E.R. engines to 4 each and re-configuring the upper wing connection to the lower wing greatly increased the craft's ability to actually fly from "straight into the ocean" to "why haven't we hit the ground yet?".

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough fuel to reach orbit. Might have to increase the wings, and add a control switch for the R.A.P.I.E.R.s to change to LF/O mode. The test flight nearly tumbled out of control switching them manually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19816 on: November 30, 2017, 09:55:04 am »

I believe the term is asynchronous multiplayer? But yeah, it's like if someone on your Steam friends list dies or something, you might get a mission to go save the character and then you get to use that character... so I've heard, I haven't played it yet myself. >.>
Gets captured.

See, the way the game's alert system works is that the ship you're on may head to an enemy station if the alarm is triggered (or it's already headed to a station, and sounding the alarm will just make it go there faster). When this happens, a timer appears. When the timer runs down, the ship reaches the station and the character is considered "captured" (as opposed to being killed). Once a character is captured, it's now possible for a subsequent character (either yours or a friend's) to appear with the personal mission "rescue my <relationship> <Captured Character> from <Faction that captured the character>". Completing this mission will give you that character to use on subsequent playthroughs.

If a player character manages to complete their personal mission and then retires, the player gets the option to choose one of the character's current items as an heirloom (a gun, a teleporter, a subverter, etc.). This item then has a chance of appearing in a loot crate another player character (including a friend's character) finds in their playthrough.

I dunno if that explanation made any sense, but hopefully you can understand the system a little better now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19817 on: November 30, 2017, 10:28:11 am »

When one of your characters gets captured, one of the characters you have the option of playing as will be someone with a rescue mission right away. If you pick them right then, and go on to complete their personal mission, you get your old character back. If you die or just don't pick that character, you'll never get the captured character back, but now they can show up in friend's games.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19818 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »

Had a tense fight with two bow armed tribals.

At the beginning of the fight, I told my guys to move outside into well positioned sandbag.  There was a megaspider roaming around my front yard for some reason, it ignored people but they were afraid of it.  But apparently being behind a sandbag gave my colonists courage.  Because they all opened fire with their bolt action rifles.

On the megaspider.  While a raid was about to begin.

The thing immediately charged for Vera, the newest colonist and the only one without a gun.  It must have been an easy target because even my guys could hit it, but it took many hits before it went down and badly mauled Vera.  Then the raiders arrived.  My defenses were shoddy and they had good cover, while my guys were too bunched up.  I tried to flank one of them with Dueller, my only good shot, but a mere 3 tiles from getting into position he took an arrow to the knee and collapsed from bloodloss.  My two remaining gunners spent about 3 minutes fruitlessly and innacurately exchanging fire with the tribals.  It slowly became clear that despite superior weapons they were losing, evident by the massive blood pool that had formed on our side of the fight.  I pulled back away from one and lured him into charging, then beat him to death.  The other tribal fled.

Turns out that in addition to being my only good shot, Dueller was my only good medic.  Every single colonist bled to death before they could be healed.  They had a *lot* of wounds.

Edit: Make a new colony.  Run low on food, hunt deer.  Horde of deer comes and hoofs everyone into unconciousness, except the one dude who was lying in bed suffering from marijuana withdraw.  Everyone lies there unconscious.  I decide to keep playing.  Pot guy dies in his sleep (?!?!).  People get up, get hoofed down again.  I decide to keep playing.  One of the 3 deered people dies.  2 remaining aren't bleeding but are in too much pain to regain conciousness.  Deer calm down.  I keep playing.  One of the two survivors dies of starvation.  I keep playing.  Escape pod lands nearby.

Escape pod landed in the middle of four insect hives.  The two survivors within are mauled immediately.  I keep playing.  Last person dies :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:37:07 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19819 on: November 30, 2017, 09:11:01 pm »

Pot guy dies in his sleep
and that's why you don't do drugs

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19820 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

What the hell kind of independent province has five goddamn wizards defending it, along with a host of other nasty units? That's the second army I've lost trying to take the place, and it's right next to my capitol. Jerks keep summoning elementals and pelting my units with long-distance magic, and not even my sacred pegasi riders can deal with them. Either my priestess decided not to bless them, or the blessing doesn't do anything.

Dominions 4. Boy I suck at this.

---------------------------

New game. I set up my first moves and recruitment, hit the End Turn button...
...and a random explosion rips the arm off my Pretender. The game has literally just started and my most important unit is crippled. Fucking hell.

Still Dominions 4
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:39:48 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19821 on: December 02, 2017, 11:27:28 am »

Playing gnoll (Monk) of Chebriados. I had full health. In an Ice cave, I opened a door. I saw a sleeping 8-headed hydra simulacrum right behind the door. I moved in to stab. I died.
The Ice Devil observing it from afar must have laughed.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19822 on: December 02, 2017, 11:33:44 am »

New game. I set up my first moves and recruitment, hit the End Turn button...
...and a random explosion rips the arm off my Pretender. The game has literally just started and my most important unit is crippled. Fucking hell.
Still Dominions 4
Bad luck. Pretenders should regenerate limbs over time, though.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19823 on: December 02, 2017, 12:05:21 pm »

Really depends on what it is.

Also got murdered hard by AI in Dominions, having a slap fight underwater and got straight run over by ghosts and undead like Lord of the Rings...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »

I tend to have difficulties fighting the AI in that game too. Last try, I'm seeing doomstacks of several hundred mannekins(basically, plant zombie/golem/robots) of every variety in just about every single border province, yet I have an army of about 80-100 starving to death from lack of supplies. Oddly enough, the army of 80-something can hack apart the mannekins quite well, being Ulm Blackplate troops.

Do Pretenders regenerate limbs if they die and then resummoned?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19825 on: December 02, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »

Unless something has changed, no. I remember in Dom 4 summoning my pretender after they died and they still had all of their afflictions. A quick look through the manual confirms this. The only time a pretender recovers from afflictions when returning is if it's immortal, and only if it's reforming.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: December 03, 2017, 09:08:40 am »

Bah, entering into a T2 battle for the first(well, second, but first time sucked too) time is murder. All I have is a single Sherman with no upgrades, and a T1 tank and tank destroyer with full upgrades but completely useless in the battle.

Both my T1s were instakilled by ammoracking from the same guy. On the killcam, it didn't look like the ammo racks were hit particularly hard, either. My Sherman managed to take dozens of hits but was set on fire, according to the killcam by an AA gun. However, this model happens to start with only HE rounds, meaning it has almost no chance of actually killing anything unless I drop it down their barrel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: December 03, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

I tend to have difficulties fighting the AI in that game too. Last try, I'm seeing doomstacks of several hundred mannekins(basically, plant zombie/golem/robots) of every variety in just about every single border province, yet I have an army of about 80-100 starving to death from lack of supplies. Oddly enough, the army of 80-something can hack apart the mannekins quite well, being Ulm Blackplate troops.

Do Pretenders regenerate limbs if they die and then resummoned?
Spoiler: Dom4 Advice (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: December 04, 2017, 07:56:06 am »

Lost an M8 when my shot fell short by about 80% of the distance to the target, despite the impact point indicated showing a solid hit. Several shots before that some went far high at multiple ranges.

My last tank was shredded by a machinegun from a Pz.II DAK. Somehow. And no, it wasn't the main gun, since the killcam clearly showed the bullets coming from its coaxial machinegun.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19829 on: December 05, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »

Not exactly a death, though it might as well be...
My BlitzGreymon is getting old and senile, and I was racing to raise a second Digimon to Jogress with him so I'd be able to enter an Omegamon Alter-X in the upcoming D-1 tournament. I'm only keeping him alive through extensive naps at the moment, since his needs drop rapidly while he's awake.

Towards that end, I was trying to raise my Elecmon into Whamon, but he just evolved into a Vegimon instead... In retrospect, I may have failed to overfeed him enough to turn him into a whale. :/

Well, that's several days of carefully managed neglect down the drain... I guess I'll see if I can evolve him, then leave everyone to die and start all over.

Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 1575