Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1315 1316 [1317] 1318 1319 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376685 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19740 on: October 29, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »

If you press the "Quick Dive" button and dive off of a ledge, Snake will roll and more easily recover from falling off the ledge.

However, beyond a certain height, this tactic won't work, and Snake will simply flop onto his belly and take damage (sometimes enough damage to be fatal).

I'm fairly bad at judging when it's safe enough to dive roll off a ledge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19741 on: October 29, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »

I was cheating hero points and points of intrest and such for map completion in the vanilla and first expansion zones on my griffon.  These zones were not made for mounts and the game has a number of little jumping challenges that are completely trivialized with the introduction of mounts with special movement abilities in the latest expansion.

The griffon is a secret not-so-secret mount at the end of the current expansion, that costs a significant chunk of ingame gold to obtain.  And while it does not quite obsolete the other mounts, being not quite as good at what they are specialized to do, they are reasonably good at a bit of everything.  So I'll often come to the foot of a puzzle that I see other players struggling with, and then just hop on my griffon and then jump and glide over to the goal in seconds.  Do a little /wave to the other players and move on.

Karma got me back.  I was in verdant brink, a challenging zone with deep chasms that have instant death at the bottom.  I was following around a group that was helping others get to hero points, basically little reward spots for reaching hard to reach places.  This one was near the bottom of one of those chasms.  I hop on my griffon and dive down into the chasm, expecting to pull up to land on the point.  Instead I went too low, and when I tried to convert my speed from the dive back into altitude I hit a wall killing my speed so I could no longer gain altitude.

The griffon is not really capable of true flight, it needs speed in order to go upward, without speed it can only glide, and it's too heavy to take advantage of the updrafts the gliders you are supposed to be using in that zone can.  So I slowly and helplessly glided down into the instant death in front of that whole group.

Guild Wars 2
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:48:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19742 on: October 31, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »

Get shot by a friggin' huge tank. Get shot by a front cannon of friggin' huge tank, while trying to escape back one. Get shot by a friggin' huge tank, because i can't remember when it have free will with shooting and moving, and where it is safe to dance just in front back of it.
Get shot by a DAMNED BACK CANNON of friggin' HUGE tank, cause it's SUDDENLY shoot not as pictured, but as it should!
Seriously, guys? It's "the hardest mission in a game"? Hello-death-out-of-nowhere-cannon?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:51:35 am by MCreeper »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19743 on: October 31, 2017, 04:47:27 pm »

Got punched in the face repeatedly enough to get stun-locked by a group of adorable rabbit-things with ears long enough to use as fists(and sturdy enough to no-sell attacks with).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19744 on: October 31, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »

Forgot to turn on my intertial dampeners as I came into the hangar... Also took two other fighters and a good chunk of the engine room with me...

Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19745 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:35 am »

I've installed the Saints Row 2 mod "Gentlemen of the row", but though the game's stability has improved ,there is one distinct issue I've run into..

When going into a clothing store or wardrobe, selecting certain clothing items (like, at all) makes the game crash.

Hooray.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19746 on: November 01, 2017, 10:50:26 am »

Attempted an incredibly long race which was reserved exclusively for older American cars. I entered it with a Mustang which was significantly faster than most of the other vehicles participating in the race, except for one, which had a top speed around 70MPH faster than mine. The fact that there was a huge straight which made up like 30% of the track didn't help.

Gran Turismo 4

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19747 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:33 am »

wow, there are diverse ways to die,that's amazing

This is even a tenth of the ways we've died. Just the ones we feel okay enough about to post.

I've never died.  That's how I know I'm going to live forever.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #19748 on: November 03, 2017, 12:51:41 am »

Get shot by a friggin' huge tank. Get shot by a front cannon of friggin' huge tank, while trying to escape back one. Get shot by a friggin' huge tank, because i can't remember when it have free will with shooting and moving, and where it is safe to dance just in front back of it.
Get shot by a DAMNED BACK CANNON of friggin' HUGE tank, cause it's SUDDENLY shoot not as pictured, but as it should!
Seriously, guys? It's "the hardest mission in a game"? Hello-death-out-of-nowhere-cannon?
I read the bit about a Valkyria and I'm wondering if this is the last mission of the game...or the middle one where you've a huge darn tank where you need to grenade/shoot 3 significant areas to take it down, because it is very doable--with emphasis on placement at the start :O The less folks (with 1-2 supports and the 3 heroes), the better.

...Which reminds me on how I memorized range and strategy and mercifully ignoring most Imperial soldiers for that juicy A rank, with much fun using scouts and stormtroopers, and Lynn and moving the Edelweiss, because it is a slow tank. :I

So many mistakes forgetting about minefields. Minefields are the real enemy. :'( (Until you get leveled up enough that you won't die in one-hit [but will to anything that even hurts you after], and thus they can 'save' a bit of movement while propelling your troop forward :P)
Until you meet enemy Aces right out of the blue, by accident. Much like 'out of depth' monsters in roguelikes, they're bloody powerful and hidden awardees in many stages there.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:55:46 am by Tiruin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19749 on: November 03, 2017, 03:09:25 am »

Middle one. Beaten it with pushing my tank in place where Batomys first appears, then pulling it out after succesfully surviving that damn turn when Selvaria appears. After that it was all pretty easy, though i nearly get permadeath, because of really unfortunate placement of three battle lolis(just behind the tank, after destroying second radiator. Two got minced, one who left rescued them, then got minced. And i didn't realized that you can rescue people with tank.).
  I still can't understand why the hell no one on forums had troubles with tank itself( which killed my tank 6-7 times), but everyone complain about Selvaria, who is barely of any threat after initial rush-in. Though i seen one guy on Steam, who upgraded his tank that much, that Batomis' cannons is no longer one-shooting him. If it's possible, that mission should be disgustingly easy, and skirmishes are real cheat.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:16:36 am by MCreeper »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19750 on: November 03, 2017, 03:38:55 am »

Really there is no point in having Edelweiss anywhere near Batomys, the best strat is to either use grenade launchers or manually board the Batomys and toss grenades into the radiators, just park Edel in cover somewhere.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19751 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:19 am »

Adding on to that, their tank either instawipes yours in the first 2 turns, or you find a way to avoid it.  I don't doubt many people lost because of that, its just not a death that costs much time.

Speaking of which, I'm like 4 really long missions back in that game and because I lost my save.  Too used to modern autosaves.  That's my death, from a couple years back.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #19752 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:17 am »

One big tip is to drive the Edelweiss AWAAAAY (like, behind those ruins, or far past the Batomys, dedicating at least 1 move per turn for it until you get your people up and grenade/launcher it). I suffered many fun deaths until I realized what its firing angles (and surprise machine guns) had, and since I never relied on tankbusters (I'm more of a scout/shock girl, because movement is KING :D), it is pretty much possible to get a 'decoy' for the Batomys to fire at, while you get your troops in for a 1 turn grenade-all. [Order of speed is usually Scout -> Shocktrooper/Engineer -> Lancer [Rocket/Anti-Tank unit] -> Sniper], although I could be mixing up Engineer and Lancers :v Engineers are like Scouts but slower and can defuse/repair everything.

Defense orders and Evade orders are also cheap stuff to rely on. They save souls! :D

Really there is no point in having Edelweiss anywhere near Batomys, the best strat is to either use grenade launchers or manually board the Batomys and toss grenades into the radiators, just park Edel in cover somewhere.
Wait you can do that? @_@ I recall grenade launchers/rifle grenades are at higher levels than...that level. Cool though to know! :D I've always had to climb people up those ladders as I couldn't find a good way to hit those weakpoints from the ground.

Also I feel bad about Selvaria's ending and feel good that she did stuff to that one haughty General, but that's spoiler territory.
Anyway yeah ._. Many a death to sudden popups of Lancers blowing up the Edelweiss. It is, however, satisfying to see those lance-rockets woosh in many different directions when you see the enemy or your own units try, and extremely satisfying if you even get a lucky one-hit kill on enemy tanks that way, at long range. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19753 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:18 am »

As damn, now you're making me want to play that game again. I stopped probably due to annoyance with the plot.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19754 on: November 04, 2017, 04:43:37 pm »

Spellican. The game dedicates an entire world's story arc(both main character's versions of it) to showing how much a pain in the ass it is, and it shows as the boss of another world where it really is a dangerous enemy. Six health bars, it teleports about, and it's attacks are random and nigh-impossible to dodge. The fight opens with a very long chase. I managed to get it down to about two health bars, before it turned its staff into a giant sword and hit me in the face while I was fumbling with the command list to cast Curaga.

Also, it's slight resemblance to a Lord of Change is probably appropriate(both are magic birds that wreck your shit).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1315 1316 [1317] 1318 1319 ... 1575