Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376830 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19665 on: October 09, 2017, 03:52:07 am »

Flying around gendarran fields, trying to get the hang of some advanced griffon flying techniques.  The zone was never designed with the griffon in mind, but it has a nice high up starting point for griffon practice with the airship base, and it's a mostly flat zone, so few objects to interfere with my practice, unlike a lot of expansion zones, where the glider was introduced and air mobility became more common.

I accidentally end up flying over the aetherblade jumping puzzle near the map edge during an attempt to land on what looked like a safe high plateau.  Arenanet disabled some expansion features like mounts and gliders in most jumping puzzles in the retro zones, since they naturally trivialize the content.

*Mounts are not allowed in this area*  And I'm instantly thrown off my griffon and falling through what turns out to have been a fake roof over the puzzle.  Way too high up to survive fall damage.  Ok just hit space and it will activate my glider, that will prevent the fall damage.   ...glider isn't activating either... does this place disallow gliding too?  Yep looks like it.

And then the aetherblade jumping puzzle got a new charr shaped crater in the floor.  Arenanet anti puzzle cheating mechanics: 1 Me: 0

Guild Wars 2
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:57:36 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19666 on: October 09, 2017, 04:13:03 pm »

The final boss battle turns the player character from someone who fights by tanking damage to someone who cannot tank. Instead, it's more of a bullet hell shooter except you can only melee, there's no patterns, and the boss has a ridiculous number of fight stages. The furthest stage I've gotten to is when {she} teleports randomly, while firing off beams that bounce off the sides of the screen. After some more damage, the boss begins firing even faster.

Also doesn't help that attacking the boss or getting hit will also knockback the player in a semi-random direction and distance, and hitting one of the boss' projectiles seems to have an unusually high chance of pinballing me into other projectiles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19667 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:46 pm »

Goddamn, even with maxed levels and discovering that the digital D-Pad is actually better at dodging than the analog Circle Pad, I still can't beat the final boss. One time, I was smacked into one laser and recoiled off that into three more.

(The guy was stabbed about 15 times by my javelin and he just REFUSED to go down)

If you stab them a few times, you might want to back off if you can and let blood loss do the work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19668 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:39 am »

More a loss then a singular death, I apparently I tilted someone pretty hard by playing extremely badly as Reinhardt.
... Well, I tend to do progressively worse if I try to stick to the same character all the time, when there are varied options.  Needs a random character option for me in competitive.

*Overwatch

EDIT: I do absolutely no damage with Tracer unless I headshot.  Bodyshot = Bad
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:16:09 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19669 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:45 pm »

Tried out the game for a bit, then realized I had no idea how to bring up the pause menu.

Alt-F4 also didn't work, so I had to alt-tab out and use task manager to stop the game.

Still don't know how to pause the game/bring up the save and quit option.

Just played the first game and quit using Shift-Q. Then I went into the "load a campaign" menu and realized that the game autosaved.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:19:11 pm by AzyWng »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19670 on: October 12, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »

More a loss then a singular death, I apparently I tilted someone pretty hard by playing extremely badly as Reinhardt.
... Well, I tend to do progressively worse if I try to stick to the same character all the time, when there are varied options.  Needs a random character option for me in competitive.

*Overwatch

Don't worry, I typically Mercy in comp and I can singlehandedly carry a team to victory, get play of the game, shoot down junkrat riptires on 2 separate occasions with mercy's peashooter, and absolutely dominate the other team's roadhog, (again mercy's gun is literally a peashooter) and STILL be called terrible. 

At this point I consider competitive ANYTHING a toxic mess.  I only play enough comp at this point to get season placement, then play quick play the rest of the season.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19671 on: October 12, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »

*Overwatch

Don't worry, I typically Mercy in comp and I can singlehandedly carry a team to victory, get play of the game, shoot down junkrat riptires on 2 separate occasions with mercy's peashooter, and absolutely dominate the other team's roadhog, (again mercy's gun is literally a peashooter) and STILL be called terrible. 

At this point I consider competitive ANYTHING a toxic mess.  I only play enough comp at this point to get season placement, then play quick play the rest of the season.
I once played a game of DOTA 2 as support Naga Siren against a Techies that was absolutely dominating us.  Techies drops mines; Naga Siren creates illusions of herself with no kill rewards.  I spent the entire game diligently playing minesweeper to the point where Techies didn't even bother using his proximity mines, opting instead for remote mines.  The only reason we stayed in the game at all was because Techies didn't put out any threat, but whenever we did push we get wrecked by traps and their vastly better farmed team.

We lose.  Position 1 carry: "you shouldn't have picked Naga"  Oh, sorry I turned it into a 4 v 5, secured my lane, and bought all our wards.  Fucker.  Its ALWAYS the support in any competitive game, its like every 12 year old in the world thinks that because they're playing the more deadly character they have a higher rank in a real military.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19672 on: October 12, 2017, 07:45:09 pm »

That’s how it works man. If you’re not at the pointy end, you obviously suck.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19673 on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »

Nah, the guy was justified in being salty.  I was not contributing anything to the team at all and was just getting rolled.  Of course I didn't switch off.
I was on a pretty bad losing streak and making very very poor charge decisions the whole day. 
Reinhardt may have more HP, but he goes down faster then a squishy when it comes to shotgun type weapons up close and personal.  Also, pretty much loses in most 1v1 encounters, unless I could catch them with a charge or unaware long enough for me to at least get my 2nd swing out.  Roadhog will survive and still beat me though.
Today, I gained back most of what I lost.

Also, oh jah, wtf.  Our Orisa put their shield behind us.  Not in front of us, where all the enemy are shooting down at us.  I'm like, 'I'm moving the line forward, his shield should be ready.'  It never came and I went into cover before mine broke.  And there it was.  He wasn't even using his own shield.  Result was obvious.

Overwatch
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19674 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:47 am »

A redheaded tank commander broke my front and smashed all my artillery with her superior numbers.

Attempts by my infantry to strike from the mountains proved futile, as her army was just vastly superior to mine in numbers. Also the lumbering oaf commander i used has a serious problem with bad luck... didn't help at all.

Advance Wars , Flak vs. Jess

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19675 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:04 am »

The battle with Jan Kasimir had been going fine and dandy until a winged hussar lanced me so hard I went comically flying twenty feet off my horse, proceeding to slide down the hill at highway speeds.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19676 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »

Re: Orisa, she probably just missed.  I have to play a couple Orisa games before I get in the shielding groove.

That being said, I never use Orisa on attack unless I'm doing a protect-the-president strategy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19677 on: October 13, 2017, 05:47:33 pm »

Also, the animals have become indefatigable. No matter how thoroughly I pursue them they NEVER tire. Again, compare to earlier where after a long chase they'd get too tired to keep running.

UnReal World
I hope that wasn't an actual change they made, since that was how I generally get a kill. Even better is to chase them into water where they'll tire even faster.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19678 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »

Animals are a tricky lot. As far as hunting is concerned, if they get into a forest or out of a direct line of sight then you'd might as well go home, because when they're gone they're gone and you'll burn more food then you'll earn back shortly trying to find them. The thing to do is to spot them on the map in a mire or other open area, although mires are good because of the water pools, and use the '1st strike' where you drop in the middle of them to throw a spear or shoot an arrow. Even if you have all the space in the world you'll have no luck trying to fatigue a unhurt elk or reindeer. Also, spears are unreliable throws to begin with. It never hurts to get a bow, even a juniper one, and a few arrows. A juniper bow isn't a lot better, but it's a bit better and you aren't out a spear if it runs off.
Thread related, Britain finally destroyed my single Catapult after a long and painful war. It's not a death, but that was a very nice Catapult and was basically the key to my continued conquest of her cities.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:10:21 pm by Lukewarm »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19679 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:46 pm »

I got an actual mic recently that I've been trying to make use of on TF2, and when I was talking to my team just now some guy complained and asked me to "Stop with the text to speech shit" and I had to explain to him that it was my real voice.

*EMOTIONAL CRIT*

Either my voice is WAY more unexpressive than I thought or something is wrong with the headset I bought.
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1575