Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376734 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19440 on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:37 am »

Repeated attempts to kill a special captain(the ones with a red mission icon). I couldn't get his details because he wouldn't show up in the army list, but he was immune to ranged, attacks from above, attacks from the front, and possibly finishers. And he had a constant stream of reinforcements coming in, which included other captains.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: July 07, 2017, 01:40:50 pm »

I've reached the Boneyard, a fairly large settlement and home of the Gun Runners.  Somehow, the Gun Runners do business out of a "fortress" surrounded by a radioactive moat and also deathclaws.  I listened to the NPCs, so I did know this!

Still, I think it's just a little silly that I wandered from a heavily populated sector of burned out buildings to identical burnt out buildings, within striking range of a deathclaw.  Who crit me twice in two turns, because of course, 9 luck.
I did get one turn, though!  And the full-auto burst from my fancy combat shotgun (which was very dear), rolled what I think was max damage, AKA ~30 after DR.  30 out of 225.

Ian's SMG autofire hit for 0 damage, because of course.  Freakin DR.  New Vegas really did return to Fallout's roots in that annoying sense.

Fallout 1
I just want ANY ENERGY WEAPON WHATSOEVER, FRICK
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: July 07, 2017, 02:36:50 pm »

Not quite a death, but my soul died a little.  Gathering in FF14 Heavensward, I've been waiting for a long time for a single rare gathering point to become available. It shows up and I run over there in a hurry.

Lots of monsters around the gathering point.  I basically have 2 minutes to get in, harvest it and get out.  So I call my chocobo and sic him on the first monster that attacks me as I rush the node.  I get there and begin collectable gathering.  I have the item almost obtained when I get attacked, that forces me out of the gathering screen and the gathering node vanishes.

While my chocobo is actually quite strong, it matches to my level.  Not only was I a lower level gathering class, I had the chocobo set to attacker stance, which basically amounts to telling it not to choco cure itself.  It dropped fast to the monster, and the monster attacked me next, cancelling the gathering, and destroying the old world fig I worked so hard to perfectly collect.

The worst bit is, that I have an ability as a gatherer that makes me completely invisible to monsters I had completely forgotten I had.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: July 09, 2017, 10:46:45 am »

The war had changed.

The Boss wasn't ready for it...

Soon after his death, everything crumbled. The Diamond Dogs broke apart, Miller and Ocelot went missing...

All the efforts, all the blood shed...

And it turned out to be for nothing.

Spoiler: The Actual Reason (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: July 09, 2017, 11:18:37 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19445 on: July 09, 2017, 12:50:54 pm »

The war had changed.
That's MGS4, though
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »

so you're saying automatic target-locking pod-based missile launchers are old news?
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: July 09, 2017, 04:41:39 pm »

The war had changed.
That's MGS4, though
It's heresy.  War never changes.

Edit:  Speaking of...
I met Killian, mayor-proprietor of Junktown.  After we did some business, a shifty gunslinger walked in.  "Gizmo sends his regards."
As it happens, I had walked straight to the shopkeeper from the door (as one does), so the round hit me square in the back.  Ow, but I'm fine.
Killian responded, of course, by drawing his pistol and trying to shoot straight through my face.  Fricken...

Then it got weird, loyalty-cascade style.  I'm pretty sure a guard saw this situation and attacked *me*, though possibly I missed my companion Ian attacking him in my defense.  What I do remember is that the guards definitely aggro'd on me without me attacking anyone.  And also that Killington aggro'd on Ian, but *specifically not me*.  So Killzor killed my companion, the guards tried to kill me until I put them down, then Killllian was happy to talk to me.

How is this a death?  Killian's script was completely screwed- he was giving the same pre-assassination options, no way to start the Gizmo quest.  Also my pack mule died.  So I played around with a stack of TNT.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:26:34 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:39 pm »

After playing with Oblivion horses, which are goofy in their own wonderful ways, I forgot that Skyrim horses have a massive turn radius. When I parked my horsey on the very point of a rock for better vantage point on the Forsworn camp, there was nowhere to go but off the edge.

Skyrim.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:25 pm »

After playing with Oblivion horses, which are goofy in their own wonderful ways, I forgot that Skyrim horses have a massive turn radius. When I parked my horsey on the very point of a rock for better vantage point on the Forsworn camp, there was nowhere to go but off the edge.

Skyrim.

3-point horse turn? They do have a reverse...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: July 10, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »

I took some soldiers with mid-game armor and weapons and completed a flawless mission (iirc it was Difficult).

I lost the war ~5 days later.

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19451 on: July 10, 2017, 06:16:38 pm »

I lost my first playthrough to the avatar project as well.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19452 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »

Same, on Normal.  I'd say screw their expectations, but they did explicitly say 2 would be more difficult.

TBH, I did sorta enjoy dying in my first playthrough.  The forces of oppression were overwhelming, but I had rookies at a severe discount.  So many people died.  So many.
And despite the best efforts of every rebel left, the future refused to change.
She/they

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: July 11, 2017, 02:13:57 am »

I thought I had the game figured out once I'd learned flying, grazing and my own spell cards. I won a few matches without being knocked out, even!

Then my streak ended and, like most fighting games, I ended up being knocked around by giant hitboxes for massive damage with no recourse and seemingly nothing I could have done differently.

I hate fighting games.

Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:24:47 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:03 am »

Shotgun to the face from the final boss of Aliens vs. Predator (2010) in the marine campaign.  That fight reminded me just how much I hate unexplained damage sponge bosses.

It should not take 2 magazines of 99 10mm explosive tipped AP bullets to the face to kill someone on normal difficulty.  It doesn't matter if they're secretly a robot.

It's also really cheap when said boss can one-shot you with a shotgun if he's close, and that the layout of the boss arena coaches you to backpedal your way into a corner where you meet certain death from Damage SpongeBob's shotgun.

Spoiler: "Game design rant" (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1575