Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377173 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #18915 on: March 30, 2017, 01:02:31 am »

Is it just me or are the goddamn maze werewolves the toughest critters in the whole game plus expansions?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't find them as hard as the cave full of jerks with paralysis weapons: That necessitated an unholy amount of gathering Corkbulb Root to clear safely. Werewolves just have absurdly inflated stats and no special gimmicks.

(1st time doing either expansion for realsies)

Well, I've got a stealthy, unarmored h2h build that has a constant effect invisibility ring. Gotta remove it and put it back on whenever I take an action, but it makes things simpler. Through various means he's both hard to hit and a bit resistant to paralysis, and only died once in that cave. But no matter how much Sanctuary I have, those damn wolves seem to hit me all the time, and take my health down to a sliver from full with just one hit.

I've managed to metal-gear-solid my way through now, as I learned I could go forth to clear obstacles before bringing Carius along (He'd pull two or three werewolves at once with no regard for stealth). Basically I used invisibility to position myself so I could pull one at a time, knock them out, and then beat them to death on the ground. Then I got Hircine's ring from the Skaal dude and blitzed the rest of them via that ungodly h2h buff from wereform.

On a side note, the Grahl look really freaky. Like... eurgh *shivers*  It's those little pinpoint glowing eyes on those wide, smeared faces.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: March 30, 2017, 03:07:19 am »

I was playing a teleporting tree wizard, just minding my own business, when suddenly 9 other people showed up and I got obliterated by some kind of half-griffon half-statue that threw half a dozen balls of weaponized insanity at me. Not before I made a trident-wielding fish quiet with a flower and waving my staff at a meat-man until he fell over, of course.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: March 30, 2017, 01:00:08 pm »

Pile of silver weapons?

Hold up, where were you fighting?
It's lair. It may actually not have been weapons, but it certainly was silver.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #18918 on: March 30, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »

I decided to see what the native life was like.

Turns out they're a little... disturbed at my presence.

Factorio.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: March 30, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »

I was playing a teleporting tree wizard, just minding my own business, when suddenly 9 other people showed up and I got obliterated by some kind of half-griffon half-statue that threw half a dozen balls of weaponized insanity at me. Not before I made a trident-wielding fish quiet with a flower and waving my staff at a meat-man until he fell over, of course.

...I was going to guess Armok 1.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: April 01, 2017, 05:06:31 am »

What follows is an unedited helmet cam image from the raid on landed UFO-11. This material is for your eyes only, Commander. It might be best to keep this mission away from the press.

X-Com: UFO Defense.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:28 am »

It seems noobs still persist in a game that's...

8 years old.

Jesus Christ.

From slow reaction times to not knowing which infected are which to splitting from the group multiple times after multiple restarts, I've had a higher success rate on Singleplayer than I've had on Multiplayer.

That one time where Tanks kept continuously spawning didn't help the Win-Loss record, but still...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: April 01, 2017, 10:45:54 am »

Once a noob, always a noob I'm afraid.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: April 01, 2017, 02:55:23 pm »

They also temporarily released L4D2 for free a few years back, like literally as long as you downloaded it you just owned it for nothing.  Kinda destroyed their servers.

So you know.  Lottaaaaa people have that game on their computer, and not all of them necessarily played it at that time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: April 01, 2017, 09:14:29 pm »

Terror mission in Russia.

The Skyranger lands outside the home of an identical quintuplet, currently being terrorized by cyberdisks and sectoids. A rocket launcher and some AC-HE rounds take out the disks, and mopping up the sectoids seems like an easy enough job. The LZ is a firey warzone before half the squad's even had a chance to disembark. Miraculously, there are no X-Com casualties yet and six ayy kills.

Then it turns out there's psionics afoot. Jordan Jackson, my recently-promoted Sergeant, turns his laser rifle on his teammates, knocking down a wall to gun down some poor rookie. Alica Zakova returns fire from two tiles away, misses Jordan completely and instead kills two civilians.

That's when I decided I've had quite enough X-Com for the moment. It's only month 2, I've never had psionics show up that early.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:18:07 pm by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: April 01, 2017, 09:23:46 pm »

Lemme know when you get good enough that you have a terror mission with sneks and rapeverlords in week two, and the first UFO of February has 'therials.  (Dear hells that was so very bullshit.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:29 pm »

You can not even have laser rifles in week 2! And without at least those, you have no chance against chryssalids.
(But it is better to have flying suits as well.)
I wonder if it is possible to get lucky with drops and day 1 mission to have heavy plasmas by week 2, but I doubt it.

My death: Giant monkey tied my military (literaly) and killed them by dehydration, goblins killed the rest.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: April 01, 2017, 11:08:51 pm »

That mission taught me that rapeverlords are terminally prone to autocannon HE shells.  And that sneks are actually more bullshit than their rapey friends, as their probability to have an immediate replacement seems to be inverse to the amount of overkill you can inflict, and rifles don't do overkill.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:10:32 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: April 01, 2017, 11:16:16 pm »

My save was from a few turns before I ragequit, so I have to kill a cyberdisk again. Bo Ek, standing on the ramp of the Skyranger, launches a rocket at the cyberdisk just like before.

Unlike before, the rocket hits the wall and explodes inside the Skyranger, with over half the squad still inside.

OpenXCom's "savescum" option doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better result for reloading.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:10 pm »

I decided to play as Spy, on a Payload map, since he's my best class and I haven't played as him in forever. I cloaked and snuck over to where the cart was stuck. It was being guarded heavily by an engineer with a sentry gun and teleporter exit, and there was a sniper next to him. I managed to get behind him, and waited for the sniper to turn away, scoped in, while the engineer was hitting his sentry. I placed a sapper on the sentry, and then backstabbed the engineer before he had a chance to do anything. The sniper remained oblivious, and I backstabbed him as well. I turned over towards the teleporter, sapper in hand, ready to finish the job. Apparently I was a little too close, because a split second before I was able to sap the teleporter, a scout came out of it and landed inside me, killing me instantly via telefrag, and ran away laughing.

Team Fortress 2.

We lost the game soon after that, and naturally some asshole tried to blame it on me before ragequitting, calling me a Shittyspy. I had only been playing for a couple minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1575