Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377053 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #18870 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:12 am »

Slid down a cliff about 20 feet, landed fine, no damage. Slid down the next cliff of about 15 feet, landed fine, no damage. Slid down the next cliff of about 5 feet, died instantly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:12 am »

Built a wonderful dragon shaped ship full of happiness and joy  Everything I need for manufacturing and an airtight interior.  Figured I'd land on the planet that has ended so many starts before I learned trying to land on a planet in the respawn ship was a terrible idea and went to mine asteroids.

I doubled the number of downward thrusters by peppering the wings with them and added an admittedly unfortunately placed back exit (it's the only place I could fit a ground level airlock without having to redesign everything! Honest!) so I'd be able to walk back into the ship once landed.

Sadly I learned quite quickly that ion thrusters for space, do not work very well for keeping a large ship with big fake wings from hitting the ground at terminal velocity in atmosphere.

Space Engineers

I'm assuming you've figured this out now, but yeah: ion engines are _terrible_ in atmosphere. If I'm reading this right, ion thrusters drop to 30% effectiveness as the atmosphere gets thicker. By contrast, atmospheric thrusters become useless at higher altitudes, and hydrogen thrusters are always effective (though also require you to manage hydrogen instead of being run strictly on electricity). That plus the fact that you're now fighting against natural gravity makes ion sub-par for planetary descents. Or, rather, very good at rapid planetary descents, not so good at keeping the ship together on arrival.  :D

Or at least, that's how it worked when I last played, which was a few months ago. I could've sworn the wiki had a cool graph showing their effectiveness at different heights, but I can't find it now, so either my wiki-fu is failing me or it was removed, and the latter might mean something's changed in the mechanics...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18872 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:34 am »

Slid down a cliff about 20 feet, landed fine, no damage. Slid down the next cliff of about 15 feet, landed fine, no damage. Slid down the next cliff of about 5 feet, died instantly.

Could you PM where you found this...mod? I've got a couple of Ubisoft games I am quite interested in modding.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18873 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:37 pm »

Dear Diary:

Today I purchased Dark Souls III.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: March 21, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

Dear Diary:

Today I purchased Dark Souls III.

Would you like to sign up for a frequent poster card for this topic and start earning double miles on all posts
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »

I've been doing very well at bounty hunting and the like in my Cobra MK3, so I decided to pay a visit to a low intensity combat zone in a system undergoing civil war. My nonchalant attitude descended into rage and frustration pretty much instantly as I got destroyed a good 10 seconds after choosing sides because every single ship in the vicinity was a million times more powerful than me and could drain my shields and hull in no time at all using only lasers. I tried again and again, but every time I entered the combat zone I would spend a full minute chasing one guy around blasting him with lasers at point-blank range while barely doing any damage at all until he eventually got behind me and basically instakilled me.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18876 on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:42 pm »

Not so much a death as... well death of something I guess.

So, playing Football Manager 2011, in something like my 16th season as manager (game says I've played it for almost 11 days, to give an idea of how long that takes) of Arbroath, who start in the 3rd Division in Scotland. I won the Premier Division (it goes Premier, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) in my 13th and 14th seasons, and was pipped to the post in my 15th season but I digress...

I get beaten in the Champions' League qualifiers, thus getting knocked down to the UEFA Cup, but after that I go on a tear, winning 19 games in a row in all competitions. Not pissing bad.

However, things in the league are weird. After about 8 games, there are 3 teams at the top who have won every single game, not including the previous year's bastards champions. I play one of these teams, and hammer them 7-0, the biggest victory I've had in years. A little bittersweet considering they're the team I'm a fan of, but ah well.

Come up against this team again a few weeks later, and get annihilated 4-0, stopping my run before it gets to a nice round 20. Sadness.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »

Large scout landed right next door. My squad is desperately under-equipped, but I need alloys and anything I can afford to sell. Satellites are expensive and I need them in batches of three to keep up, as well as upgrading my Interceptors, building new uplinks, and all the other fires I need to put out.

About to enter the UFO. I saw a Cyberdisk and shot down its drones before it left line of sight. It was in one of the transparent force field bits, so I assumed it went deeper into the UFO and we'll meet it inside.

All my guymans are stacked up, ready to breach the UFO when the Cyberdisk casually strolls out the other side. It survives an insane amount of reaction fire before casually murdering my newest Assault.

Time for the first savescum of the campaign! I hate Cyberdisks.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:01 pm »

I don't play racing games and I have no idea how to properly race without constantly hitting literally everything.

As such, I've hit literally everything in my brief time playing Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

The fact that that, and the other racing game I own, GRID, have no tutorials is a brilliant help - I had to look up the control scheme because both games assume the players aren't troglodytes.

Is this what other people experience when they have to cooperate with others? Because I'm experiencing a lot of frustration.

So, any tips for racing games? I'm using a keyboard, if that helps.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18879 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »

Do it slow before you do it fast.  Any part you consistently crash on, let go of that accelerate button until you can learn the trick to it.

Where you are on a track can make turns harder or easier.  If you find yourself turning too sharply, start on the outside of the turn.  If you find yourself turning too shallowly, start on the inside.

The main thing that differs between racing games (aside from how violent they are) is how turning works.  This varies WILDLY among different racing games.  Some of them will require you to use extra buttons, some of them will require you to let go of/tap the accelerate button, some have drifting mechanics.  If you're going to google anything it might as well be this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:19 pm »

Do it slow before you do it fast.
Because that's what racing's about. Got it :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18881 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:37 pm »

I'm sure all those Formula One drivers started out driving those cars full speed.  Didn't even learn to drive a normal car first :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:26 pm »

Another death:

Played Bionic Dues.

My thoughts are as follows.

"Huh, so it's a roguelike."
"Questionable aim?"
"So if I whistle and lure the bot here..."
"Hey, this is easy!"
"And they're walking over their own landmines. 'You should totally step on these' was taken a bit too seriously, I suppose?"
"Explosive runes? Eh, I'm not much into blowing things up with other things that blow up anyway."
"So, next mission!"
"Ooh, fuel tank!"
"Damn, forgot to read the range on the explosion..."
"Oh crap, there's so many more of them!"
"Hey, this is hard."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: March 22, 2017, 03:20:04 pm »

I attempted to set up a home base station near a pirate station in order to snipe at it and hopefully wear it down. I set it up successfully, but my missile turrets didn't have enough firepower to bring down its shields. So I dismantled it and attempted to leave. But every time I would get out of my ship, I would get killed by one of the stations turrets. These are just basic cannon turrets, not usually a big deal. The weird part is I should have been definitively out of range, and my ships weren't being struck at all. They had the accuracy at range to snipe me as an astronaut, but not to hit the much larger ship I was using while I ddeconstruced my assets.

Starmade
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: March 23, 2017, 10:00:47 pm »

High Ordinators don't screw around.

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1575