Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2374132 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17850 on: August 13, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »

We were told to rescue an engineer. Through a series of events she may or may not have caught fire and burned to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After reloading, we still ended up having to leave our sniper behind.

When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17851 on: August 13, 2016, 07:44:34 pm »

Fricken mimics again.  This time I wasn't fulled, because these are the weirdest mimics ever...  Door mimics apparently cast ranged spells.  They curse for heavy damage, can cause blindness, or... frost bolts.  There's no chance at all of mistaking one of these for a door.  Though they don't move, which makes a set of them especially deadly since I had to charge up to them while tanking their spells.

Here's the kicker, though:  They paralyze in melee.  It's really my fault for not having Free Action at level 26, but I could have sworn I did...  Ugh.  (paralysis is basically a humiliatingly slow instant kill, once you're paralyzed the enemy will keep paralyzing and poking you until you die.)

It's just as well.  I got really unlucky with the random quests, almost entirely Princess quests (who give mere items while Fumble Fingers unlocks cross-class skills).  FF did give me mindcraft though, which turned out to be *great* for cheap dungeon scouting.  Even crossclass and with pitiful wisdom!  So I'm finally rolling up something besides a half-ogre warrior.

Actually half-ogres only have -1 INT, and the 12-sided HD are so nice...  So gonna try a half-ogre mindcrafter.  As priest-likes, they're actually half decent in combat...  Not like a swordmaster sadly, but still.  And it'll be much easier to court Tulkas's combat blessings.

Tales of Middle Earth 2.3
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17852 on: August 13, 2016, 10:15:40 pm »

Alright, playing an old game, star wars: starfighter. I remember playing jedi starfighter on the xbox years ago, i loved it. This game has been nothing but nostalgia. And bugs, but hey, it's from like 2002 or some shit. But mission 14 is kicking my ass. I must have died 20+ times. Need to fly into a hangar on a trade federation battleship. Ceiling turrets tear me to shreds in seconds. Fighters and tanks roving the decks kill me in seconds. This mercenary leader keeps firing missiles you can literally only dodge after they've detonated, which gives you maybe 200 milliseconds to make a right angle turn.

I should have remembered I was a total wimp when i was a kid and played the entire game on easy mode. :v
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17853 on: August 14, 2016, 12:54:09 am »

Plugged in my Xbox to check my save file on that game. Yep, I beat everything on Normal... except the last mission where I switched to Easy.

That merc starfighter is such bullshit though. And the entire outside of the ship is covered in turrets that shoot the same kind of missile. Those missiles never miss and always fly faster than you at infinite range, as well.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17854 on: August 14, 2016, 02:47:02 am »

Can you shoot the missiles down?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17855 on: August 14, 2016, 02:50:27 am »

Possibly. I don't remember, but I also don't remember ever trying.

In the meantime, I tried to build a ridiculous rocket-launched glider thing. I quickly realized that there's a reason planes need to taxi and build speed before takeoff, as my contraption promptly rolled off its supports, hit the ground and exploded.

I swear I've built (really terrible, hard to control, low-performance) planes before.

Kerbal Space Program.

I built another plane, with the objective of using anhedral wings to gain some more maneuvering power and make a 180 degree turn sometime this century please.

It flew alright, despite nearly driving off the runway (presumably due to little gremlins living inside the landing gear). Then I turned off SAS, and it promptly tumbled, lost all its forward velocity and hit the ground like a rock full of highly explosive jet fuel.

It exploded and the Kerbal died is what I'm saying.

Kerbal Space Program.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:43:37 am by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17856 on: August 15, 2016, 01:25:38 pm »

Not really a death, but it was a fairly expensive failure(thankfully I saved before expending too many resources on spawning it in).

Tried to build a VTOL gunship. However, since the game and asset editor are a bit... sparse... on the details of what part does what exactly, the forward thrusters were solely a pair small devices called "carrier jet exhaust". These a short-time use afterburners. They're useful for quick burst of speed, but entirely worthless for normal flight. I tried to correct it by adding forward and rear VTOL propellers to allow for some tilt, but this only gave it a top cruising speed of... 3km/h. 3.2 at best. Their effects are just too heavily countered by the massive lifter engines. This all came at a significant cost to produce as well; many of the gunships components require significant quantities of aluminum, which is fairly rare and the colony generates it very slowly(3 colonists take over 8 minutes realtime to produce 50 units).

Ironically, if I can fix the issue of forward thrust OR get it to tilt effectively, it'd be great as a fast-support gunship. It can jump up, drop down, and turn quite fast and fairly smoothly, and can easily bring its gun to bear on any threat on the ground. And it's not even that goddamned ugly unlike most of my builds.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17857 on: August 15, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »

I tried to kill Davison, because insane Super Mutants with a pile of Stealthboys does not sound like a good idea in-character and looking up what happens would be metagaming.

Davison caught on to my shit pretty quickly, and immediately set off the frag mines I was in the process of laying. There were five of them. I did not survive.

Fallout: New Vegas

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17858 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:11 pm »

DsFE of Veh, doing reasonably well in Spider. Still, as a purist Fire Elementalist, I'm pretty weak against anything that resists fire, since I haven't found Bolt of Magma or Orb of Destruction yet. Run across Roxanne and assail her, hoping to get a book of the Earth off her so I can get Bolt of Magma. I can barely scratch her with my fire magic OR my artifact scimitar, but I'm wearing her down. I get her into the red and a helpful Balrog shows up to assist grinding this arrogant statue into dust. She then proceeds to hit me with a Lehudib's Crystal Spear in the face for [near]maximum damage. Twice. In one turn.

Taking on an immortal pheonix, because the moon princess I beat the crap of wanted me to "test my guts". The Extra stage itself isn't TOO difficult, but I almost always use a bomb before the midboss. Keine shows up, reveals her TRUE FINAL GOAT FORM and barrages me with stuff. Thanks to Yukari meddling with the Border of Life and Death and my natural faboulousness, I tank her worst hits upon my bombs and gain a life. The rest of the stage isn't noteworthy, besides a rabbit fairy miniboss who is apparently bomb-immune. Then the REAL fun starts.

In general, I think I rate Mokou approximately 1-2 Sans'[Or 1/8 of a Yukari] in boss difficulty. Her second spell sign where she drops firebirds everywhere and Honest Man's Death are both incredibly obtuse. Still, IN means that I get approximately THREE lives per life, so I have to mess up several spell signs to die permanantly. Even with that, I still get consistently dunked by her third-last spell sign and its explodey volcano. I remain much more optimistic about beating her then I am about beating Flandre, so I'll probably keep trying for at least a week or two before getting sad and moving on with my life.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17859 on: August 18, 2016, 12:41:26 am »

I completed my first Kerbin orbit and reentry of this Career Mode game, the parachutes were deployed and the landing stage was safely on its way down at less than 10 meters a second.

I change the focus for one second to look at some debris that was still flying away. This causes the game to lose track of the main ship, deleting Jebediah, the science data and all the expensive parts that I could have recovered.

My last quicksave was from actual days ago.

Kerbal Space Program.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17860 on: August 18, 2016, 10:52:16 am »

fighting a legendary in Pokemon Uranium. didnt have potions at the time of the fight and my pokemon were at type disadvantage against it. it was lvl 40 too. fortunately i got the item i needed from her.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17861 on: August 18, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »

Game: Bayonetta 2, which I've been replaying, shooting for platinum trophies.
Cause of death: Daddy issues.

Bayonetta players will know what I'm talking about and laugh/groan in familiarity. For anyone else who wants the spoiler-tastic context:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:32:31 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17862 on: August 18, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »

Running a greater rift level 60, equivalent to Torment 13, the highest difficulty. The highest I played at before was Torment 12. A champion pack with mortars was fighting at a choke point where a forcefield of sand prevents projectiles from progressing beyond that choke point. I was basically standing still and spamming multishot without watching what was going on. My avoid death skill was on cooldown. A single stray mortar shot managed to hit me. I had forgotten to recast my vengeance buff immediately after it had expired. With Vengeance up I took 50% less damage, and without it I was extremely squishy. The one mortar shot, having hit me at a major moment of weakness, instantly one-shot me.

Rest in pieces, demon hunter, you were fun while you lasted. It can all end so quickly.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17863 on: August 18, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »

I wanted to use the Kickback rocket booster to give some tourists a trip into space with just two or three stages. However, the Kickback is the most expensive SRB I've unlocked, so I put a probe body and parachutes on it to try and recover it intact.

The rocket booster and the command pod ended up coming down at the same time. Managing two almost-vertical reentries at the same time did not end well, and both halves of the rocket hit the ground at hundreds of meters per second.

Kerbal Space Program.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17864 on: August 19, 2016, 04:13:55 pm »

I have wasted eight hours of my life trying to get Markhor so I can get the EZ Gun and never use it. I was two animals or possibly plants short. I even tracked down the Flying Squirrel and spent twenty minutes looking for a Tsuchinoko.

MGS3

I even made a checklist of everything I had to find! WHERE DID I GO WRONG
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1575