Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373141 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17460 on: June 18, 2016, 07:51:58 pm »

Goddamned long mission, with a side branch that supposedly gets your safe houses upgraded(with what it never said). Said side branch has you assassinating the local king so his son can take over his money. Getting to the safe house requires blasting through three lines of entrenched guards. I crash my armored truck into a tree, but I'm surrounded so I get out instead of using the .50cal machine gun. I try to deal with one of the MG posts with a molotov, but the resulting brush fire blows back my way and explodes my truck. Despite that, I managed to kill all the guards attacking me, including the two who tried to ram me from behind with a jeep. I proceed to the safe house.

After accepting this part of the mission, I swap my assault rifle for the .50cal sniper rifle on the floor. The king was hiding in a fortress unconveniently close(you'll see why) to the original mission site. I figured I'd pop the guy from a distance. Nope. I had to slog through several more guard posts before reaching the place, using just my pistol to defend myself. When I get there, I drop several snipers on the towers, then engage in a snipe-fest with the guards inside. I kill them all, and with the area secured, I enter the room the king is hiding in. He makes a big show of threatening me and all. I make the mistake of lingering to see if he had anything else to say, and before I could react, he empties a pistol into me. I'm still alive, and I put a pistol round of my own through his head, and finish the clip into him for good measure, then I grab his ring(his son wanted it as proof). Now to drive all the way back to that safe house.

Along the way, I get rammed nearly off the road near one of the guard posts that had respawned, leading into a firefight. My sniper rifle jams. I clear the jam, then the base. Fight my way back through the entrenched guards(I fare much better this time) and back into the safe house to give the prince his ring. In return he offers me a car... which already freaking spawns there - I drove it to the fortress to kill his dad and back. I return to the original mission: to mark a giant pile of gold for extraction. Normally, these side missions give a different outcome, but this gives the same mission, only with a partner and the enemies don't appear until you mark the gold.

As soon as I do, gunfire erupts outside. I get up there(I was underground in a dry well), and me and my partner are surrounded. I drop several, but then my partner gets shot. I run over to heal them, but I get critically wounded as he gets up. I try to hide and heal, but don't get too far. "Load last save/Load save/Quit" (last save was before accepting the mission - at least 30 minutes ago)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: June 19, 2016, 10:06:25 am »

Blighttown. Gottverdammt Blighttown. 5 more deaths in the first 50 metres. Death by fuckhuge club(twice), death by misdodge off a platform, death by toxic blowpipe, death by fuckchirping million cuts gangbang at the bottom of a ladder.

BRB, Blighttown gitguddering.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: June 19, 2016, 04:11:17 pm »

The cyborg lady at the end of the long hallway after you restore power. She's tanky and she seems to be impossible to stun. Cue reload to try and run past the turret rather than use my precious grenades on it.

System Shock 2
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: June 19, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »

Cyborg Midwives are one of the scariest enemies ever with their talking and the audiolog that explains them.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:47 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: June 19, 2016, 06:54:21 pm »

System Shock 2 is actually a fucking terrifying game. First time I played it, played it Co-op with my friends. We immediately got separated on the very first part. One got trapped by turrets, the other was being chased by monkeys, and I turned around to see a zombie with a shotgun yell, "I'M SORRY!" just before blowing my brains out. We turned it off and agreed to play another time.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: June 19, 2016, 07:18:55 pm »

I imagine multiplayer would be easier, since one could focus their modules on hacking crates and replicators, and the other could focus on taking out enemies.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: June 19, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »

SS2 is already an easy game with a decent build; with the set difficulty of multiplayer and two players it's a cakewalk.
Fun, but not what you'd call difficult.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: June 19, 2016, 07:29:05 pm »

A shame the multiplayer over internet was unplayably buggy the last few times I tried, even the GoG version.  All sorts of weird desyncs, if we even managed to connect. 

But yeah, it's really meant for single player anyway.  Glad it was still spooky as a group though, even if briefly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: June 19, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »

Tried to fix a massive traffic bottleneck where the main highway ends at the main factory district. To my shame, it's just a sudden abrupt halt at a two-lane road that can't be expanded because of the factories along it. I get the bright idea of splitting the highway end that goes into the factory district off to the side onto a wide road and use a one-way street to link it up to the main road loop. Immediately saw positive results that appeared to remain stable.

A short while later, noticed the next massive bottleneck: I had so many normal streets intersecting the main highway(including using them to create U-turns along it), that the traffic lights were causing backups miles long. After some ugly patching that caused a few homes to be bulldozed(some without any indication it would), and using highway ramps as switchbacks instead of two-way roads, traffic began to improve.

I look back at the first bottleneck, and find that traffic isn't just backed up, it's nearly dead-stop. I give up. |.o.|

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: June 20, 2016, 12:36:43 am »

There's several mods that disable chirper or allow you to filter out certain messages.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:11 am »

Tried to fix a massive traffic bottleneck where the main highway ends at the main factory district. To my shame, it's just a sudden abrupt halt at a two-lane road that can't be expanded because of the factories along it. I get the bright idea of splitting the highway end that goes into the factory district off to the side onto a wide road and use a one-way street to link it up to the main road loop. Immediately saw positive results that appeared to remain stable.

A short while later, noticed the next massive bottleneck: I had so many normal streets intersecting the main highway(including using them to create U-turns along it), that the traffic lights were causing backups miles long. After some ugly patching that caused a few homes to be bulldozed(some without any indication it would), and using highway ramps as switchbacks instead of two-way roads, traffic began to improve.

I look back at the first bottleneck, and find that traffic isn't just backed up, it's nearly dead-stop. I give up. |.o.|

You should consider ending your highway in a loop and use standard service interchanges to send cars off into the city itself. Even a simple diamond interchange is a thousand times better than having a non-highway contact a highway.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: June 20, 2016, 03:50:27 am »

There was a room with two laser turrets, some egg things, and a camera. I didn't want any of that business, so I left a nav marker and moved to the next one over, which happens to contain goodies! I sprinted over to the goodies, the previous room gone from my mind.

Turns out, the turrets from the last room can shoot into this room. And the camera can see into it. And I still don't know what the eggs do, but I'm sure they helped kill me as well.

System Shock 2.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: June 20, 2016, 07:26:36 am »

Not dying ingame but I died inside so that count.

I ended defending a territory against the starghosts for the first time. Went fine as always because at this stage the game fails to challenge me, I meet some bullet sponge enemies (oh joy...) but eventually they fall.

Then there is a 'cloud', that can only be damaged by energy weapons and the only plasma gun went out of ammo.

So I stunned it with a reticulan blaster and tried everything, bullets, fire... Nothing worked. And unlike most of the missions where I get victory when 90% of the units are dead of unconscious, the game refused to concede victory this time.

I had to abort and lose a territory. Seriously, this game was great at the beginning but the more I play, the worse it gets.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:03 pm »

There was a room with two laser turrets, some egg things, and a camera. I didn't want any of that business, so I left a nav marker and moved to the next one over, which happens to contain goodies! I sprinted over to the goodies, the previous room gone from my mind.

Turns out, the turrets from the last room can shoot into this room. And the camera can see into it. And I still don't know what the eggs do, but I'm sure they helped kill me as well.

System Shock 2.

Oooh, I think I remember that room. Killed me too, first time through.
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1575