Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1574

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2369725 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #16935 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:37 pm »

I don't like the Husks, they cheat. Fast melee enemies are not fun to fight when your character has controls for a relatively slow-paced cover shooter.

Mass Effect 2.

Any part with husks should be called Massive abuse of the pause for bringing up the squad powers menu... Effect.

Edit for clarity.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:54:46 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16936 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »

Not the worst Mass Effect pun I've seen. :D
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16937 on: April 20, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »

It was certainly poorly proof-read...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16938 on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »

Just about any ability that will knock a husk down or levitate it will pretty much kill it instantly. Biotics, especially Shockwave, work wonders.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16939 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:58 pm »

Mass Effect 2.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16940 on: April 21, 2016, 04:51:06 am »

Just about any ability that will knock a husk down or levitate it will pretty much kill it instantly. Biotics, especially Shockwave, work wonders.

A single Cryo-bullet is usually enough to freeze them solid.

Mass Effect 2.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16941 on: April 21, 2016, 07:45:16 am »

Jack is probably the only character that develops in any great way in all the games, tbh. Good voice actor as well.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16942 on: April 21, 2016, 04:45:36 pm »

I guess this counts. Happened yesterday.

Have one mural piece left before unlocking Primal Groudon. Since the majority of mural pieces for Primal Groudon's mural are apparently in the first half of the game areas, the only puzzle early on that has a mural piece left is Jirachi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This thing. Turns out the mural piece was for Kyogre, not Groudon. I guess it counts again because I almost screwed it up again, and that's after burning Regirock, Ho-Oh, and Hoopa(also had Entei set, but was unusable). All of whom have 30-hour cooldowns except Hoopa who has 24 hours. At least I never have to do that puzzle ever again.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16943 on: April 21, 2016, 07:05:11 pm »

I was up to my 39th straight battle in the Battle Tower, in Alpha Sapphire.

50 wins, and you get to battle the "Battle Chatelaines", who come with their own (sorta) unique battle theme, plus other rewards besides. I had already beaten all of the Chatelaines at the 21 win mark, so i got to do the "Super" level of difficulty.
In this case, I was playing Super Multi battles, with Wally as my AI partner. His modus operandi was essentially "Mega evolve Gallade then spam Close Combat. Occasionally use Leaf Blade if they resist Close Combat." That worked really, really well, but it meant that Gallade-M was progressively more fragile the longer the fight went on. His second pokemon was a Magnezone; quite a strong mon with some strong moves, but it liked to use Thunder which had a habit of missing its 70% accuracy check multiple times.

So, on my side, we had an Aerodactyl, that I mega-evolved into Aerodactyl-M; gaining Tough Claws as the ability and a pretty staggering boost to attack and speed.

So the battle went absolutely swimmingly until Wally got Gallade knocked out after it couldn't break through some pokemon, forget which one, and got KO'd by earthquake. Aerodactyl obviously was fine; being flying it could avoid Earthquake.
The other issue was that Wally's Magnezone took a hit, popping the Air Balloon preventing ground types from hitting it, which left it open to another Earthquake.
I managed to knock the foe's whateveritwas out, thankfully preventing Magnezone from a quaky demise.

So that left just my Aerodactyl and my Sylveon, and the foe had one last pokemon.

They sent out a Luxray. Mercifully, this Luxray wasn't packing Intimidate.
So it uses Superpower, drops its attack and defense in order to wallop the shit out of Magnezone. (Superpower is a fighting type move, high base power, drops user's attack and defense one stage when used.). Doesn't knock it out, but gets Magnezone low. Magnezone is walled to shit; electric resists electric and steel, so the AI instead puts up a Reflect barrier to raise our team's defense. Smart.
Luxray, predictably whenever the AI in the battle tower has a mon with a move that drops stats on user, carried a White Herb to restore its depleted stats back to normal once.

Next turn, Luxray knocks out Magnezone with another Superpower. Aerodactyl-M misses a Rock Slide. Luxray lands a Wild Charge, and oneshots Aerodactyl-M. Bugger. Luxray takes recoil damage; about 25% of its HP or so.

Out comes Sylveon. Now, while Sylveon's physical defense isn't that great, the Luxray is at -1 Attack, and I have reflect up. That neatly protects me. I get Toxic up on the Luxray, ensuring its time is limited. It hits with Thunder Fang. Deals pretty abysmal damage. I'm safe; at the rate the Luxray is dealing damage, Sylveon will knock it out first. Even if things got hairy, I could just use Wish and Protect to restore health.
A Pixilate-d Hyper Voice knocks Luxray down to ~30%.

Next turn, the clincher.

Luxray used Thunder Fang!
A critical hit!
Sylveon fainted!

FUUUUUUUUUCK. Thirty nine straight wins lost due to ONE MEASLY CRIT. (Critical hits ignore stat changes on both the user and foe, where applicable. So the crit based Thunder Fang off Luxray's healthy Attack vs my papery defense, ignoring Reflect.)

Just in case you hadn't read it already:

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16944 on: April 21, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

I did not know critical hits ignore stuff like that. I do know that whenever one can totally ruin your day, it will happen.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16945 on: April 21, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »

I did not know critical hits ignore stuff like that. I do know that whenever one can totally ruin your day, it will happen.

Yeah, they do. Take a pokemon that has had 3x feather dance or charm drops applied to it and use a move with a high crit rate. It'll hit much harder than the -6 stage attack would imply. Similarly, against a pokemon that's used Iron Defense or Cotton Guard or something to max defense, it'll use the normal value before boosts.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16946 on: April 21, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »

Yep, crits ignore the attacker's negative attack and the defender's positive defense modifiers.  I suspect it's intended as a balancing mechanism against stall (it worked subtly differently in Gen 2, which was infamous for its stall meta).  The more you're tanking hits through stat boosts to your defense, the more likely you're going to come up snake-eyes at least once.  In a 50-battle streak, there are a lot of attacks going around, and thus a lot of opportunities to roll that unlucky 1 in 16 chance.  It's always irritating when it costs you your streak, though, so I can definitely sympathize. 

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16947 on: April 22, 2016, 11:24:39 pm »

Though I fought to stay alive
My body ceased to shiver
I, a mere mortal, could not resist
the evil of the Thriller

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16948 on: April 22, 2016, 11:30:15 pm »

I beat Mass Effect 2! Spoilers to find out why this isn't in the own thread!

Mass Effect 2.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16949 on: April 22, 2016, 11:40:58 pm »

For the second time in a row since the death of that last guy a giant bee showed up a day after beginning the game and I couldn't hit it once.
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1574